“Fantastic stay”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
england
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Me and my husband stayed for a 2 night break in october, we had a room in the main house with beautiful views over the lake. We found all staff to be pleasant and helpful at all times, the room was clean, comfortable and had a lovely modern bathroom. The food was absolutely fantastic, loved the pre dinner canapes, excellent wine selection and top quality locally sourced food. We were also lucky enough to have the use of the sauna and steam room to ourselves on both nights and loved the views over the fields and down to the lake from the relaxation area. All in all we had a wonderful time and I have since recommended to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us - and thank you for such a high score. As an independant hotel we do rely on good reports and it is always pleasing to read when our guests have had a good experience.

Do come back and visit us soon!

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Leeds
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great Room in Annex overlookig Lake Windermere
Food was simply excellent .......... well cooked, well presented and just delicious.
Staff very helpful and friendly.
Terrific Location overlooking the lake but away from Madding Crowds of Windermere and Ambleside.

Room Tip: In Annexe with balcony and view over the lake.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great review, my team and I do appreciate you taking time out to post something for us. We do hope that you come back to see us soon!

Tarleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just realised I didn't review our stay in April when sorting out some pictures so here goes:

We stayed while on a mini-honeymoon in advance of the main event in August and we weren't disappointed.

There are a variety of rooms available in the main house and the lodges, We stayed in a lodge room which are all named after Beatrix Potter characters - your room contains the relevant book!

Room was very comfortable as can be seen from the attached pictures.

Dinner was great and while some of the portion sizes look on the small side, from my perspective, you were full by the time the meal ended. I had some extremely tasty and well cooked venison. Hard to choose which pudding to try and I was a bit envious of my wife's choice, a selection of lemon deserts,

As you might expect breakfast was a cooked to order affair, which ticked a box for me. Interesting selection of condiments, including whisky came with my wife's porridge.

Pre and post dinner drinks are available in the lounge in the main building. As you might expect in a Country House Hotel there isn't a conventional bar as such, although you can order drinks for your room or the lounge. We met my need for a pint by having a nice stroll down to the side of the lake where there is another hotel - not such a gentle stroll back up to the hotel - but good exercise before dinner.

Highly recommended for that special occasion.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Better late than never!! However, thank you for taking the time to review us and so positively. Your pictures are great and you are right about the lemon dessert! Once again, thank you for making the effort to review us, it means alot to an independant hotel and the team. We hope to see you back with us again soon.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed for three nights on the Autumn Break package.
Our room, Room 2, had a good view over the lake.
The room itself was beautifully decorated, furnished and had all the facilities you would expect in a hotel at this level, including an excellent choice of hot drinks to go with your kettle. Beds are turned down.
If you were fushy you might not like the wardrobe being in the bathroom [slightly disconcerting when getting ready for dinner and both bathing/showering/changing].
Service was invariably excellent: bags were transfered from car to room immediately, check in and out was well organised, staff obviously knew who we were and did 'the little things' like taking your room key from you prior to sitting down for dinner.
Probably the only disappointment was that the quality of the 'full english' breakfast did not seem to match the rest of the fantastic food. There is nothing wrong with it: it is just 'fine' while the rest is excellent! The eggs benedict being a typicla example of something we both enjoyed much more.
The package included food and this was well worth the Michelin Star on each evening and evey course. Over three nights the menu changed subtly but sufficiently that if you simply wanted to eat local Herdwick lamb every evening I don't think you would have been bored/made to eat the same dish. I had lamb, beef and venison over three nights but could easily have gone for fish on every evening.
The presence of Stefan as Sommelier means that your wine will always complement the food you choose and both your tastes and budget.
Even the bill wasn't bad!
We didn't use the spar as we were out most of each day walking.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are certainly worth having.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Keith,

I have noted your comments regarding the breakfast and have talked with Dave. As you know, any feedback is listened to and we try to improve; feedback from our regulars is even more important. Thanks for giving us 5 dots; much appreciated. It is always good to welcome you back and hope to see you again soon. Best wishes to your wife and mum as well.

See you again soon,

Andrew and the team.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here as a birthday and anniversary treat in September and could not have had a better stay! From the moment we arrived the service was great - really friendly and helpful. The views were stunning and to my surprise we were taken to one of the lodges where a note from the manager and some beautiful flowers had been organised. Our room was beautiful with the most stunning views over the lake - even in the rain the view was captivating! We ate at the restaurant on both nights and again the service was faultless. Our food and the wine was superb and one of us being a vegetarian was not a problem, a separate menu was provided. We also made use of the spa which was lovely. We would highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back one day! Thank you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I have posted it onto our staff notice board as it highlights all the things we try and do. I am so glad that we made you feel welcome with your dietary request. My kitchen team do try hard to accommodate all requests and it is great to here that it is appreciated!

Do come back and see us soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed recently for 3 nights. Suffice to say this is a great hotel and the service is first class and the food is truly exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble and when my car got stuck in the bottom car park,they were out to help asap and used the hotels Land Rover to give me a quick tow!

The views are superb. Just a couple of very minor things to improve a brilliant experience; the bed and pilows in the room were not that great (please supply a double mattress rather than two singles zipped together and thicker pillows)and the spa would be complete with a little pool.

To be honest these are minor things and I would recommend this hotel to everyone and the food and service is to really,really top class.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean B
Thanks for your review Sean. We have made some changes to our car park that will hopefully prevent people manoeuvring in to the area which you got stuck; I am glad my team rode to the resuce (well done Matthew!). I have noted your comments regarding the pillows and we are in the middle of a programme of replacing them and upgrading the Duvets as well. Sadly - the spa pool will have to wait a while!

Do come back and see us soon though.

London
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We agree with the other reviewers: excellent food, great location with great views over Lake Windermere and the mountains beyond, excellent staff both helpful and caring. I would add a few points. First, small hotels, even very good ones, have too few staff, often recruited from the local community and not fully trained. Here, by contrast, was a large international team, very well-trained, so everything worked very smoothly. Housekeeping was immaculate. The spa, although rather limited, basically a sauna and shower, nevertheless provided my partner and me with very good massages after a long day on the fells. Our bathroom was very nice: separate shower and bath, good towels and robes, and bathroom bits. Hot water bottles in the bed at night was a nice touch.
The restaurant was excellent. Prompt service, nice amuses bouches, carefully selected and cooked food. There is long and varied wine list, with the hotel's special selections, which were not expensive by most standards. One of our wine choices was expensive, but not in perfect condition. The occasional bad bottle is an inevitability. My wine merchant puts it at 5% of all wines, but more for older wines. It was changed without fuss, and not charged.
One disappointment. We liked the breakfasts, cooked to order rather than a buffet. This is much preferable in my view. Our kippers first morning were very good, but the bacon I ordered the second morning was not. It seemed to be yesterday's reheated. I didn't mention this to the staff at the time. Perhaps I should have done. I hope this was a one-off.

Room Tip: We had room 23, which was dual aspect, including one window with a view over Lake Windermere, a nic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review Brian. It was good to here that you enjoyed your stay and have given us five dots. I noted your comments regarding the bacon. I can assure that it was freshly cooked that morning, not reheated, but it should have been a bit of bacon, which it clearly wasn't. My apologies. This is something that we are looking at with our chefs as dave and I think it is probably over-cooking. We will fix it! In answer to your question, should I have mentioned it - without a doubt! We would have done you a fresh meal and then the guys would have fed your comments back to me for review. As I am sure you are aware, it is always much better to highlight the issues when the can be fixed - ie the wine.

Once again, thank you for the good review and I hope that you do come back and stay again, the next time you are in the Lakes.