“A wonderfully magical place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holbeck Ghyll Country House

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
dallas
“A wonderfully magical place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

I will admit I am a regular participant in this site and find it very useful when doing diligence on both a vacation spot and subsequent lodging options. That said I have also learned to take negative criticism somewhat with a grain of salt - it never ceases to amaze me how some just have no clue about what they are getting into or have such lofty expectations that their trip is essentially doomed for failure from the get go.

As a senior executive in the lodging industry who began my career over thirty years ago as a waiter and never left the industry, I can most honestfully say that our family's little two night stay at Holbeck Ghyll was absolute perfection! We enjoyed our trip from the moment we arrived at Oxenholme station to the minute of our departure.

I will also suggest that the Lake District is most definitely Britain's Best Kept Secret. The area's beautiful lakes, impressive mountains and sweeping valleys - combined with the lovely little towns interspersed throughout - all contribute to make for an experience of absolute serenity. No wonder Wordsworth and Beatrix Potter thrived so much!!

As mentioned we would highly recommend Holbeck Ghyll to anyone considering a trip to the area. Just as in any vacation spot or lodging establishment it is my opinion that one should simply relax and take in the entirety of the experience rather than focus in on little minor inconveniences encountered along the way. So - just as anyone who goes to the lakes thinking they are going to get sunny warm weather doesn't quite get it - nor does the individual thinking he is in for an experience at say George V in Paris quite understand either. Some of the negative comments I actually find fairly annoying to this regard - and boy am I happy I didn't have to encounter the "walker" during our stay lol!!

Holbeck Ghyll is Fawlty Towers on steroids if you get my drift - and all in a delightfully positive way. It is a lovely County House hotel where service and quality rule the day - but a distant second of course to the stunning setting within which the hotel sits. So if you don't have the wits about you to ensure that you are booking a room with a quality view then shame on you! We were told there is no other property in the district with comparable views of both Lake Windermere and the mountains - throw in the wonderful sounds of the river and waterfall and the bleating of the sheep - and we were all in a magnificent state within an hour of our arrival.

With all that the property has going for it in terms of aura the rooms really are somewhat secondary frankly - we stayed in two connecting rooms at the lodge (personally I would request the second floor two units with the balcony as compared to our two with patios but a very minor point) and they were wonderfully appointed along with the baths to a very high standard - we didn't see any of the rooms in the main building. To those wanting to stay within the hotel building fine but know the lodge is a very quick max five minute walk to the front door - we liked the separation and peace of the lodge and would stay there again.

We loved the main building both because of its age and design but also because of its decor - again I don't know how one could say anything otherwise as it all tastefully presented with again the views frankly carrying the day anyway - we loved the front entrance and little entry porch, the comfortable lobby with fireplace and chess board, the peaceful sitting rooms for lunch or a drink, the beautiful restaurant again with stunning views, the terrace for nice weather, the putting green, the trails down to the river, waterfall and lake and last but not least the beautiful landscaping throughout - we tip our hats to the crew - we saw three folks working very hard both days - please rest assured that your efforts are noticed and appreciated!!

Which leads me to the service and tremendous execution - and apologies as I am horrible with names so remember only a few - but in small intimate property like this personality, grace and hospitality are essential to make the thing work - and I would say that the entire staff exemplified all of the above throughout our stay. From Caroline and David at Reception who calmly and coolly direct traffic while all the while addressing I am sure a multitude of requests and calls (thanks again guys as I know I am a problem child!!) to the entire staff in the restaurant who exhibited not only the utmost in professionalism but also - and more importantly - a genuine appreciation for the hospitality they were extending. We enjoyed a lunch, two breakfasts and two amazing dinners at the property - all of which were perfect and memorable. And the dinners - we could go on and on but let's just they were exquisite in terms of the quality of the food but also with regard to the overall execution - just great!

We would like to extend our gratitude to Andrew McPherson - the property General Manager - not only for his assistance but also for the job he has done in putting together such a commendable team. Well done sir.

We have to conclude though with our profound thanks and words of appreciation to Phillip - the gentleman who essentially runs the property on Andrew's days off or on Monday and Tuesday at the least - and at one point was the property GM but now finds it equally as exhilarating to assist those in need of a high quality Bordeaux or the like!! Not meaning at all to take away from the entirety of the experience in any way but in some senses he absolutely made our stay - again Phillip is Fawlty on steroids just as the property is to the Towers. His absolutely wonderful demeanor, amusing wit and sheer joy of the position made for again a unique and highly memorable experience - so thanks Phillip - you are already very much missed!!

Sorry for the ramble but felt it obligatory to send in such a review not only to give this our highest recommendation possible but also to address some of the silly criticisms I have read with regard to this property.

As Alex (our 12 year old) said on our first afternoon after lunch, WHEN we are back next time............

David, Maria and Alex

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HGB1, Front Office Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, August 14, 2011
Dear David, Maria & Alex,
What a great read! Thank you so much for your kind words.
We have put your review on the staff notice board for all the team to see.
We look forward to welcoming you all back to the hotel soon, to enjoy some of your great humour.
With best wishes and kind regards,
Caroline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Cologne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

A justifiably renowned Michelin star restaurant wrapped in a country house atmosphere in a charmed location offering staggering views over Lake Windermere and the Cumbrian Mountains - also from the bedrooms at the front of the main house and theneighbouring Lodge building.
Two gripes, though, for a hotel of this category:
1. we had the impression that, with the exception of a recently arrived exuberant Rumanian waiter, the customer contact staff were in need of a break themselves as they radiated dejà vu
2. dogs are charged GB Pounds 60 per night which is excessive. When challenged, the hotel attempted to justify the charge with the argument of additional cleaning. However, the charge (per animal!) is by far the highest we've so far experienced anywhere and around double the rate for this category of hotel.
Viator Coloniae.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Viatorcoloniae
HGB1, Front Office Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, August 28, 2011
Dear Mr Coloniae

I am sorry that my staff radiated a sense of déjà vu; this, of course, should not be the case. We all do try very hard to show an interest in peoples stay and how we can improve it. Obviously we failed to reach the grade on your account, for which I apologise.

The dog charge is not per animal but a single charge, irrespective of the number of dogs or the length of stay. This charge is to cover the cost of getting specialist cleaners into the room after your departure. Many places say that their dog rooms are cleaned thoroughly after a dog has departed, but those people who suffer from allergies often have a different tale to tell. No specialist cleaning company will clean the room thoroughly for less than £50.

With all good wishes

Andrew
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

What can I say about Holbeck Ghyll...totally fabulous. Having stayed here in January my now husband and I decided to get married at this idyllic venue. Apart from actually deciding to tie the knot, it was the best decision we have ever made! From start to finish our experience was outstanding. The service by all departments was truly amazing, from housekeeping to reception and from the bar staff to management. Karen, the events organiser at the hotel had amazing attention to detail and made the whole planning experience a delight. On the big day all the staff attended to our every need and nothing was too much trouble. The food was top class... Beating (to us) the likes of Gordon Ramsay and other Michelin starred restaurants.... Not an easy feat when catering for 50+ all at once. All our guests had an amazing time and commented on the standard of food, the staff and the rooms. We would highly recommend Holbeck Ghyll for a couple retreat or for a larger function.... You won't be disappointed. We would like to thank Andrew and Karen for all their hard work in making our experience to magical and to all the other staff for all their hard work.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank KirstenJB
Dear Mr and Mrs Bell

We all had great fun looking after you – we are delighted you had such a fabulous time!

Best wishes from us all!

Andrew & Karen
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

What can I say? Me and my girlfriend had extremely high expectations for our stay here and they were not only met but exeeded in every way. The reception, the room and the food oh my god the food!! A big bill in the end, yes, but worth every penny. Easily.

Dear Hyperenou,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I have passed on your comments to the team who are all pleased we managed to exceed your expectations!
Saddleworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left our stay at Holbeck was complete relaxation. All the staff were friendly and very professional in everything they did. Nothing was too much trouble. Marvellous. As for the food what can I say but "absolutely delicious". This was one of our main reasons for going to experience fine dining and we were not disappointed.

Room Tip: We enjoyed staying in the Main House, due to the fact that if it should rain, we wouldn't have t...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Saddleworth,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review.
We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Disley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed here on a gourmet getaway package and as this was a wedding gift we were looking forward to it.
The hotel reception were very good and we went to our room. The views from there were fantastic and a major attraction for the hotel, great decor inside and a beautifull furnature set and bed but the bathroom did let the the room down with a small bath and tacky shower room. We had a nice half bottle of champagne on arrival and had a cream tea on overlooking the lake. Service in the afternoon was slow and we had to ask for the wine twice which seemed to bother the waitress.
Part of the package was a shoulder and back massage which was one of the highlights of the weekend and relaxing.
We decided to head for the room and get ready for the pre dinner drinks which would have been ok if there had been any hot water! I aksed reception why and they said they would send someone over but waited 20 mins and it eventually came on but intermittent so cut the shower short.
Pre dinner drinks were at 8pm and we enjoyed sitting out on the terrace in the enjoying a G&T and hordervs and was a great way to start the dining experiance.
We were escorted to the table at 8.30 and had a dedicated wine waiter and the hotel had a very extensive wine collection. The food was amazing and set at a good pace enabling you to enjoy the experiance. We had one of the best meals we have had and we do dine out alot, really good service and great ambiance throughout all the way to the coffee again outside on the terrace.
Had a bit of trouble sleeping that night as there was a constant banging through the night sounded like tumble dryer but was too tired to investigate.
Breakfast next day was a let down after the meal the night before and was below the standard I would expect from a Travel Lodge hotel which was a shame.
We went for a walk after and it is a short walk to the lake. When we got back we decided to shower and spend the day around the lake. Yet again no hot water! so no shower. When I checked out and complained about the water I was told "cold showers are good for you" Hmmm thanks for the advice but that should be my decision and not the answer I was looking for.
In summary a good hotel with a fantastic resturant but let down by a dated hotel and poor service during the day however worth a stay if only for the food.

1 Thank leeulyat7
Dear Sir

We are all glad that you had a great stay with us. I have passed you comments onto the team who are all delighted. However, with regards to your breakfast, obviously this is a disappointing comment. I have discussed this with our chef and we are looking at upgrading the experience. We did have an issue with the boiler locking out, which was attended to when you called down – however, the response from my team, even if said tongue-in-cheek, was not appropriate. They quite clearly read the situation wrong. I can assure everyone that this issue is now fixed.

With all good wishes

Andrew
Bridgewater, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Hopefully my spelling is correct but I believe my title says it all. For two stressed out canadians this was a wonderful experience. If i closed my eyes and described my ideal English Inn this locale would spring to mind. Location was perfect, food superb and the staff professional, attentive and responsive. To paraphrase an expression "I shall return"

Dear Terry91,
What a fantastic title! thank you so much for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Uk and back to Holbeck Ghyll.