“Great Lunch”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Booked for lunch on Sat 9th April.

The day was helped by it being really sunny and the views from the Holbeck onto the lake were great. There's even a telescope in the lounge for you to view the scenery in a bit more detail.

3 course lunch for the wife and myself was £83 including two drinks.

Was it worth it ---definitely !!!

Got some canapes with our drinks which were the bog standard bowl of olives and a not quite so standard breadsticks with a truffle flavoured cream. I quite liked it but the wife wasn't keen, I do feel that truffles are a bit of a con in that they are interesting but I find it difficult to say I really like them. Still it was a sort of freeby so what the heck.

The Amuse Bouche ( yes I know restaurants are a bit poncy nowadays--lets live with it) was a pumpking squash with gruyere cheese. It wasn't the normal smidge on a spoon that you sometimes get but a decent little cup of a really flavoursome concoction with what appeared to be miniature croutons..very nice.

I then had pressed ham hock and chicken for my starter whilst the wife had pressed guinea fowl. Really great combination of a decent sized, very pretty starter that tasted fab-- I started really getting a good vibe at this point.

For mains the I had Best End of Lamb with Swede Purée and Haggis Beignets and the wife had Roasted Brill with Apple, Potato, Celery and Cider Foam. Both of these dishes were spectacularly good and I was heard to spout the unusual phrase," I 'd pay £30 for this dish alone". Being a tight so and so who thinks we are severely overcharged in some restaurants that was a bit OTT and I apologised to the wife later, but I was lost in the moment and the taste of this great meal.

Puds , well the wife had cheeses ( yawn) and I had a date pudding. It was fine although it never really touched the sides long enough for me to get to grips with the flavours.

Then we went outside for our coffees and to enjoy the good weather.

Other thoughts:-

Staff were attentive but not overly so and were also smiley and polite.

When they noticed us go outside for our coffee at the end somebody obviously figured this might become a trend and they quickly set about setting up more tables out there for other guests-- nice to see people thinking quickly on their feet rather than acting like robots.

We got nice hot bread rolls with our meal and the table next to us at one point asked for more bread ( why didn't I think of that). There was a slight delay and when they queried it they were told that this was because the bread is only delivered to the tables freshly baked ( it duly arrived a few minutes later). Really good attention to service but more importantly , instead of saying they had none when the customer asked for more they just got on and baked more.

All in all I felt that this was really good value and some elements of the lunch were pretty spectacular---definitely going again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
HGB1, Guest Relations Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Thank you for your kind words - we look forward to welcoming you back to Holbeck Ghyll in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Florida, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Basically they advertise this is a place for children and dogs but clearly it isnt ?? We took the dog as per the advert and the room was poor . Our bathroom leaked . It was all ponce without quality ?? They decanted the wine away from the table , they allow kids but dont provide any chidrens meals in the restaurant ...Give me a break you can have the Gourmet menu but all you have to it , including my 9 year old daughter ?? If not then its just the menu ,on which again nothing to accomodate childrens taste .In order for my daughter to eat we had to order room service and go back to the room. The dining room had a stuffy atmosphere .The food was Ok the service again was full of poncy waiters that didnt know their stuff , wine not corked at table , wine decanted out of sight and we had to ask to have a glass after several courses ..

I dont mind paying anything for service , but please please dont pretend this is a family hotel sutible for dogs and children ... I was underwhelmed by the whole experience

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank PDH114
HGB1, Guest Relations Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Dear PDH114,
I am disappointed that you found our hotel to be unwelcoming to dogs. As the owner of a six month old golden retriver ( check out our facebook page for a picture of daisy!) i go out of our way to make sure it is a home from home for pets as well as their owners!

We do have certain rules regarding children. I feel that the evening meal is time for adults to enjoy. This is made clear at the time of booking.

The Gourmet menu involves upto seven courses; our evening menu offers four courses. Tables who mixed menus would end up with diners on lesser course menus sat for long periods watching people on the Gourment Menu eat whilst having nothing in front of them.

I am very proud of every single one of my team, who work hard for long hours to try and ensure everyone staying with us has an enjoyable stay. Your comments are unhelpful and are representative of poor social etiquette.

Andrew McPherson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I took my husband here for dinner on 17 March 2011 during our short break to the Lake District. The food and wine were delicious and the service was fantastic; we really were made to feel welcome and special. The one thing that let the evening down was that when I rang to make the booking (albeit quite last minute just a few days before) I had specifically asked if anything could be done given it was my husband's birthday that day. I was given two options, either the local bakers could be contacted to arrange a cake for him, or a dessert plate arranged with a happy birthday message on it. I decided on the latter option but unfortunately it didn't turn up. It was a small thing and I would still recommend the restaurant to anyone wanting a special treat, but it would have been a lovely finishing touch to a very enjoyable evening. I feel that the extra touches are what sets a place aside from the rest, particularly in this price range.

Dear LouQ123,
I am truly sorry that we failed to deliver on this detail. We do have a system in place that should make sure that important guest requests such as this are executed. It is terribly disappointing to read that we didn’t get it right. I have spoken at length with my management team, and, although we are pleased that you enjoyed the overall experience, we all send our apologies. I would be grateful if you would contact me at the hotel so I can apologise in person.

Yours sincerely

Andrew McPherson
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Holbeck Ghyll for our 30th wedding anniversary and his 55th birthday. When we arrived we were upgraded to a lovely room with a balcony and views over the lake.it was stunning! Dinner on both evenings was delicious but what takes Holbeck Ghyll into another league is the exceptional quality of the service provided by the wonderful staff,who have got it just right! Thank you for a brilliant break, looking forward to a return visit!

England
Reviewed March 13, 2011

went at the start of feb, amazing room views of the lake, just lovely to sit there and sip the damson gin they provide. The place is full fo good touches, wellies if you ant to wander, the gin , hot water bottles.
lovely food and drinks, good service, informative but classy.
one really picky complaint. Lamb on the otherwise great gormet menu, just isnt at its best in jan!
must go again

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
N. Yorkshire
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I was actually a couple of years before this date that I stayed. This hotel is pure luxury with a price tag to match. Michelin star resturant, great food. Room's were very well presented, free sherry as I remember, we had a room with a terrace which overlooked Windermere. This place is great for a romantic break in luxury.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2011

We booked an overnight stay with gourmet menu, wine flight and spa treatments as a birthday treat and we were very impressed with the overall experience.
The hotel setting allows fantastic views of the lake and we spent the afternoon sipping champagne and simply staring at the scenery.
On arrival, the staff were pleasant and professional and escorted us to the room after pointing out the main areas of the hotel.
The room was spacious, very comfortable and newly decorated. Tea and coffee offering were above average and a sip of the complimentary gin was well received.
The bathroom was a reasonable size, very modern and very clean. The shower was poor. The hotel has chosen to install a shower head with three settings but the water pressure was very poor. That could have been the time that we chose to shower or generally low pressure but the pressure was barely adequate and although a bath would have been nice in the deep fill bath I would imagine it would take an hour to run the water for the bath.
Hotel rest areas are quite comfortable and there is an excellent selection of books and magazines to read should you choose to pass some time in the lounges.
General decor is clean and tidy if quite "old fashioned" and in keeping with the history of the hotel.
Disappointed to twice see a vacuum cleaner lurking in the corridor. When I have had repsonsibility for similar the general rule of thumb is that the vacuum cleaner is either accompanying a cleaner or is stored away and although our room had been newly decorated it was not expected to see a whole pile of carpet offcuts in my view of the landscape, although these were moved overnight.
We had booked our evening meal for 8:30pm and arrived downstairs about half an hour prior. We were greeted immediately and offered a drinks menu which has enough choice and a reasonable price range to keep all content.
The food menus were given with a full explanation of all options and our questions were answered immediately and professionally.
The restaurant appears to be divided into two distinct sections; both being quite formal but one has linen table cover and thus appears slightly more modern. The table size was adequate although it did feel slightly strange being perched in a window seat, rather than at one of the more usual table settings of chair and table.
The food was excellent. Timings between courses spot on and each dish being fully explained by the very professional waiting staff. We ate the seven course menu which included a cheese course. Personally I find that a bonus because I really enjoy the cheese option and normally expect to pay extra for a cheese & biscuits option.
The accompanying wines were very well chosen and the staff brought each bottle out to the table so that we could see what we were drinking. Excellent choice of wines that complimented each dish perfectly with an explanation of why each wine had been chosen.
Coffee was offered in the restaurant or the lounge and we retired to the lounge as my partner did not find her chair particularly comfortable after being seated for the duration of the meal.
The restaurant staff were well informed, professional, on hand when required and almost invisible when not. We regularly eat at similar quality places and one of our gripes is that we can never remember the wines that we have been served so a very nice touch was to be presented with a copy of the menu that we had enjoyed at the end of the meal.
When we went back to our room, the bed had been remade and turned down and the addition of a hot water bottle was another very nice touch.
The bed was very comfortable and a very good size but I struggled with the temperature during the night. The duvet kept me too warm and the room was quite chilly without the duvet - I would have liked the option of a cooler duvet.
Breakfast is served until 10 and there is a huge selection to choose from. I chose the traditional English and was offered the standard choice of eggs. The waiter asked if I would like one egg or two, I chose two and was served one. I probably sound quite picky there, and I am sure another egg would have been served without delay but after the first class experience of the evening meal it counted as a point lost for me.
The spa experience included lunch and we went to reception to book our treatments. My partner was looking forward to a specific treatment and it was disappointing that this was not available because the only person qualified to complete the specific treatment was "in meetings for the whole day". It would not have caused us to alter our booking had we known this, although I feel that this should perhaps have been mentioned at the time of booking our stay.
The spa is very basic. A sauna, a steam room, a shower, a small relaxation area, three or four exercise machines with some free weights, the treatment tables and two changing rooms.
We both opted for the full massage and I can guarantee that my own massage was absolutely first class.
Lunch was of the same standard as the evening meal although I think that had we chosen to eat from the main menu on the previous evening we would have been disappointed because the lunch choices were simply a pared down selection of the previous evening menu. Having said that, it was very well presented, excellent quality and cooked to perfection.
The bill was presented quickly and accurately. We were thanked for our visit and wished a safe journey home.
Overall, I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. The staff were excellent in the main, everyone we passed acknowledged us with a smile and a kind word. The setting is beautiful. The food and drink top class. The spa treatment fantastic. Please accept my picky negatives as simply pointing out areas that could improve the experience from 9.99 to 10/10. Overall, I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and it is definitely on my list of places that I would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HGB1, Public Relations Manager at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear Factualonly,
Factualonly,Thank you for comments. We were delighted that you enjoyed your visit to us. There are a number of points that you mention that we are looking at in detail; on your return we hope you that you will notice the improvements! With all good wishes,
Andrew