Looking for a romantic break in the Lakes, my husband and I decided to try a guest house instead of the usual hotel offerings. We happened across the website for Rum Doodle and as previous reviewers have described, the decor makes the guest house stand out from the crowd. But don't be fooled Rum Doodle is not a matter of style over substance this guest house is visually stunning, but every other aspect from the service upon arrival, we had the chocolate brownies, to the fabulous breakfast brought to us in our room was by far and away exceptional. (We also enjoyed a nice bottle of wine for booking on line) Grigor and Emma have gone to great lengths to provide thoughtful extras to make your stay enjoyable. I even considered taking sugar in my tea just so I could use the beautiful sugar tongs! (The more you look the more you find but I won’t spoil the surprise by listing them all, what would be the fun in that!) We stayed in room 6 which is the one with the faces on the wall, quirky and stylish with mirrored furniture which you can enjoy without the worry of having to clean all the fingerprints you would get if you had these at home. I was a little anxious about whether staying in a guest house would feel intrusive compared to the anonymity of a hotel but I needn’t have worried, and to be honest it felt like a boutique hotel to me.
We also made use of the advice in the visitor’s guide and booked a special birthday meal at one of the recommended restaurants, Cedar Manor. Again, personal service, exceptional food and extremely good value for money. The meal was certainly fine dining as described but the atmosphere was very welcoming and relaxed. The happy birthday confetti was a nice touch too.
All in all a terrific stay don’t hesitate book your visit you won’t be disappointed. Oh and the lakes are beautiful if you can drag yourself out of your 4 poster!
Many Thanks Doreen & Michael
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set midway between Windermere and Bowness, vintage-styled Rum Doodle B&B is just a 12-minute downhill stroll away from the famous lake. We offer country house quality in a B&B setting with Egyptian cotton linens, an award-winning breakfast and complimentary WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and LateRooms so you can book your Rum Doodle Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Braemount House Hotel Windermere
- Rum Doodle Bed & Breakfast Windermere, Lake District