“Absolutely Fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #75 of 111 Windermere B&B and Inns
Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

College House had been highly recommended by my friend and was suberb value for money. I had a very comfortable stay in a gorgeous room which was very clean with a wide range of cosmetics available to use. The owners of the guest house were very friendly, happy and accomodating. The breakfast was so yummy and fresh I have never tasted sausages like them and I believe were bought locally. I would definately stay here again the next time I visit Windermere and would highly recommend this beautiful guest house to all my friends and family.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank allison92

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

College house has to be the best guest house i have ever stayed in. From the moment i arrived at College House Dorren made us feel really welcome. The room was warm and the beds very comfortable with great views. The breakfast was really good and obviously made with high quality ingrediants. Doreen will also tell you all the best walk and palces to visit and palces to eat out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank DaveHall_10
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I stayed in College House with my partner in room 2, what an amazing room, spacious, well decorated and a beautiful new bathroom. The whole guest house was wonderfully clean and well maintained. We had superb views of the mountains and of course College House's old country garden.

Doreen and Frank were very helpful throughout our three night stay with them. Finally the breakfast filled us up all day which was brill. We would highy recommend this place as being locals to the area they are able to recoomend the best restaurants, walks and places to go. We'll be booking our return visit very soon.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PamWoodhead
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

I'm not entirely sure what happened with the other reviewer but what we had experienced was completely different - there might have been a communication problem in the previous case.

We arrived at Windermere without a hotel booking for that night and ended up looking for vacancies on the streets. We found College House behind a well maintained garden and Doreen answered the door. The room itself was No. 3, a loft room on the top floor with an ensuite shower and toilet. It was a good sized bedroom and considering the price it was extremely good value. Facilities were complete, with everything and a LCD TV.

The breakfast was decent too- full english with coffee & juices.

The owners, Doreen and Frank were very nice and we had some pleasant chats and they were very friendly. We had some trouble with our car and Frank didn't hesitate at all to help us.

This wasn't the first time that I visited Windermere and definitely wont be the last either - and we'll definitely stay at College House again in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank MomentNow
Liverpool Wanderer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

As our last weekend together before I departed for six months of travel, and seeing as it was valentines weekend, my boyfriend and I decided to head for the Lake District for a romantic getaway.

We spent days searching for bed and breakfasts with high quality rooms, as we wanted to make the most of our time with something really special but also affordable. We thought we'd struck gold when we found the COLLEGE HOUSE bed and breakfast, and when my better half called up to ask about the room, we were assured it was the best in the house (labelled as "superior"). The owner told him there was a brand new bathroom which would be finished by valentines weekend, complete with stunning views. My boyfriend had explained to him it was a special weekend, and he assured us the room was top notch. Perfect. We arrived with high expectations, having called to double check everything was ready earlier in the week (we had a funny feeling about the bathroom not being ready, but we were repeatedly reassured that it was all completed to schedule).

When we got there, the lady who opened the door acted rather strangely, disappearing into the kitchen when we informed her of our names. Out came her husband, who told us that his wife had been "too scared" to tell us the "bad news". We were informed, rather bluntly and with no apology, that the bedroom we'd booked wouldn't be the one we were staying in. We were instead put in a very small room with a shower that seemed to be installed in what was once a cupboard. Instead of a spacious, luxury room, as promised; we had a small, mediocre room with stunning views of... the road. No apology. No offers of discounted rates. Nothing. We were shown the incomplete bathroom, which was the reason for us not getting the room we'd booked. There were power tools everywhere... ladders... various machinery. The bedroom (which he suggested was all finished) had no curtains up yet, and more decorating equipment strewn around. There was no chance of it being ready during our stay, let alone in the next week. This was clearly evident to my untrained eye, so how they came to look at it that morning and not think to contact us (they had our email and phone number) to tell us this is a mystery. Surely they didn't think they'd get it sorted for our arrival. They hadn't even tried to tidy it up.

Needless to say, my boyfriend and I were furious. This was supposed to be our last weekend alone together, and we had been let down. The management was dishonest in the description of the room and in their promises for it to be ready. We decided to look around other B & Bs.

Unfortunately, the LOVELY guest house next door only had a vacancy for one night, but I would HIGHLY reccomend them. Even knowing she wouldn't make any money from us, the land lady let us in, sat us down and searched the net for places with vacancies, marking them all on a map for us. She was SO helpful. Incidently, we did look at the room she had free for one night, and it was gorgeous. Lovely bathroom. Would highly reccomend. I believe the name of the place was ARCHWAY GUESTHOUSE. Having been so monumentally let down, we in the end decided to stay at APPLE GARTH Hotel across the road. Absolutely stunning hotel, excellent rooms and very very helpful staff.

The weekend ended in 5* luxury and we had a wonderful time in Windermere. I would suggest pre booking restaurants as we had trouble getting a table (The Italian near the post office, I forget it's name, is gorgeous). There was a great little walk suggested by the hotel we stayed at with amazing views, and of course the surrounding areas were all stunning.

The College House guest house offered no apology, no discounted fares and seemed totally unaware of the appauling service they had given. The owners are NOT friendly, and seemed frankly shocked when we informed them we wouldn't be staying with them. The room we were offered in the original's place seemed fine, but I would not put it on a parr with "superior". There are plenty more guest houses that we looked around with extremely helpful staff who deserve the bookings far more.

8 Thank BootsAreMade4Walkin