“A huge Disapointment!”

Windermere Manor Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Grubby is one word that I would use for this hotel! Needs a huge re-vamp and a good clean!!

Room Tip: So grubby! Stains all over the carpet, bed so uncomfortable, could not wait to check out!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Louisa M
There are newer reviews for Windermere Manor Hotel

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Room 33, Staff brilliant, room brand new super location. Definetly go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank philip j
Reviewed August 9, 2011

You know you're hotel hasn't lived up to expectations when you are thrilled to check into a Premier inn for your last night. We were expecting a nice enough hotel for the price, but nothing luxurious.
So... The pros:
-decent breakfast
-the pool (nice and clean, warm)
- beautiful location, scenery, some nice gardens

The cons:
- hotel feels like an old people's home or hospital
- decor is so so so dated and grubby
- beds are as soft as marshmallow resulting in terrible backache
- walking distance to Bowness actually means 30 min walk each way if you are going at a pretty brisk pace
- no wifi, not even a chargeable service. I honestly haven't stayed anywhere, even a B&B, that hadn't had wifi for about 5 years. Even the budget hotel chains have it and this hotel's in an area with no 3G and little phone reception so wifi would particularly welcome.
- the bathroom, although a really good size, had zero water pressure, resulting in half hour showers whilst attempting to rinse out shampoo under a trickle of water. This was a
major bug bear.

Overall- I wish I had stayed almost anywhere else other than this characterless and charmless hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank Toria1976
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Great break hotel. Lovely grounds, manicured lawns and giant chess board.
Room spaceous for the single person. Great to have controlable shower, and TV that worked.
Food excellant, and served in courteous manner. Swimming pool and gym available until about 6ish.
The manor catered specially for partial sighted and blind persons, and they all seemed to be enjoying themselves. (as were the guide dogs, who were also savouring the break)
The lounge and bar were also above average, creating a fine atmosphere.
The slight down was that the advertised wifi was not available, but I lived without for a couple of days.
In closing, and excellant hotel. Clean, throughout. Excellant freindly staff. and at a reasonable cost. Note... My online price was better than direct hotel booking...... However give them a try if in the area.... You wont be disapointed.......
S Turner (Edinburgh)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank SephT
Reviewed March 16, 2011

The only major complaint I have about this hotel is from before I even saw it - the prices on their website were far more expensive than on laterooms.com - where we booked it. If you take anything from this review, please let it be: 'shop around'!

I paid £49 per night for two nights b&b, and travelled with my partner and two (fairly wild) dogs. Before we arrived I had called the hotel and asked them to put two dog bowls and two fleeces in the room - which they did, happily.

The hotel is about one mile from the train station, but it's not a complicated journey. It's basically: "down the road and turn left."

The hotel is tucked away from a busy, country road but you can't miss it. It's obvious it's a hotel for blind people, which didn't bother us, but we only knew about it beforehand thanks to this website, so perhaps the hotel could make it clearer.

However, it isn't obvious, and it doesn't make you feel uncomfortable.

We were allowed to check in to our room about half an hour early - not a massive effort, but it's the little things that count, right? The room was basic, but very clean. It had the basics, such as colour TV with a few channels, big buttoned telephone, tea/coffee facilities with four biscuits, hairdryer, etc.

However, neither the shower or the toilet flush wasn't very powerful. One couldn't wash the shampoo from your hair very well, and the other... I'll leave to your own imagination.

The room is made up daily but willing and friendly house-keeping staff. However, on the second day they knocked quite early and we were still getting ready to go out. We asked them to pop back in ten minutes. When we arrived back at the hotel two hours later though, the room wasn't done. We went back out and I politely reminded reception it would be available now, and it was done for when we arrived back the second time.

The main reason we booked with Windermere Manor Hotel was because we wanted somewhere our dogs would be welcome. Spot on. We have two large, full-of-life (read: MAD) border collies and, despite one or two members of staff being a bit worried, they were made to feel as welcome as the calm-as-you-like guide-dogs.

There is a spending area where your dogs can spend a penny at the back of the hotel. You needn't worry about picking it up and it was handy enough. Our dogs were welcome anywhere in the hotel at any time - apart from at mealtimes. At the front and back doors, there is also clean dog towels and a bin for the dirty ones. Let me tell you: they come in handy!

The hotel has a small pool - which we didn't use so I can't say if it was good or not - but it's there if you want it.

The hotel is a five minute walk - if that - away from a public footpath that takes you down to the lake. We walked it a few times during our stay and both us and our dogs will miss that walk greatly. The views were fantastic and it's beautiful place.

Windermere centre is about 15 minutes in one direction, and Bowness is a 30 minute walk in the other. The views are spectacular and so are the many walks. If you're there with pets they'll love it, and if you're there on your own there are attractions such as The Beatrix Potter Attraction, a steam-boat museum and cruises along the lake.

Most of the shops are small, independent ones, selling a wide range of locally made goods, from confectionary to art. There's such an eclectic mix that it's hard not to stop at every shop for a look in.

I have mixed opinions about the meals. Breakfast was served restaurant style. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not something I'm used too. I was ill during my stay so didn't eat much, but there is a wide variety for breakfast - including vegetarian options.

We arrived at 3pm on our first day there, and were hungry by tea-time. Despite not being on a half-board basis, we wanted some food. We learnt the hard way just how expensive the evening meals were. Fish and chips cost about £10, and an omelet was about £8. There were no cheaper options such as sandwiches, and there are no shops in the immediate vicinity so we paid reluctantly.

On the second day, we bought a couple of fresh sandwiches from Windermere town centre for our tea, but were still hungry mid-afternoon. We'd been walking down by the lake and were slightly cold and peckish. All we wanted was a hot chocolate and cheese on toast.

When we arrived back at the hotel, we asked if we could have some sandwiches. Although originally told no, the receptionist then said she'd check. She asked what we wanted and our request for cheese on toast was turned down. However, we were told we could have cheese sandwiches and there was hot chocolate sachets in our room.

The sandwiches were nice and filled the hole, and we weren't even charged for them (then or at check-out) - an oversight or compliment, I'm not sure.

I'd definitely improve the menu, it was a bit pretentious. Maybe I'm common as muck but when your menu doesn't have sandwiches on and you're not allowed cheese on toast - there's something not right!

The staff were helpful and friendly, but sometimes we got the feeling they didn't like us. I bought a bottle of water from the bar and the lady brought back fizzy water. I asked her if she had flat and she said no. But I could see it!

The same lady served us dinner, as well as the table next to ours. The table next to ours got offered sauces etc and were asked if everything was okay - we were ignored. Some people would prefer that, but it just felt like we weren't wanted.

The house-keeping girl was really nice though; making a fuss over the dogs, and the staff were brilliant with the blind guests. They all seemed to know each other, so the hotel has a real, homely feel to it.

Would we return? Most certainly - although we're a couple likely to be swayed by price. My review has been an essay, but hopefully it's given you an honest in-sight.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank mikekellyolebusby
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We booked the Manor fairly late and at a reasonable price (98 pounds two nights)and really enjoyed it. First thing to note it caters for blind people but not at all exclusively. The manor has a swimming pool and small gym room and both are well maintained. The staff at the manor appeared friendly and helpful. The breakfast contained a traditional , and continental fare, and was well cooked (opted for English fry up ) . There is also a menu to choose from at night, and quite good value-3 course 12.95 menu.A bar is also available most times of day and night.
We had a twin room in the manor and it was spacious enough to incorporate our cot bed easily.
My only slight criticisms of the manor would be the deco could do to be modernised and the location is a little bit away from anywhere by foot. We drove to Ambleside so it mattered little to us regarding location. Overall the manor was well priced and we enjoyed our break at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Dylanesque2134
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Having got such a cheap deal we had fairly low expectations and were really very pleasantly surprised! Staff very friendly and made us feel really welcome and we couldn't believe how good the food was. Decor fresh and airy. Took us 10-15 mins to walk to centre of Windermere and approx 30 mins to walk to Bowness where you can catch boat to Ambleside.
Only negative I can think of is that the shower wasn't very powerful (we had a room with shower over bath but I believe there are some rooms with walk on showers).
Wish we had known it was a dog friendly hotel hotel as ours had to stay behind but we will definately be returning later in the year and we were told he will be more than welcome!

• Stayed: February 2011