The Lamplighter
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
White Lodge Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
View Hotel
All reviewslake districtrestaurant with roomstrain stationcoffee machineon arrivalone night staylarge bathroomwould stay againfull englishlovely hotelhigh standardshower roommy partnerorrest headvery pleasant stayfantastic foodbooked this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Billed as a Restaurant with rooms we took advantage of a "discount deal". I took the option of an Upgrade and we arrived (via a good few staircases) to room 10. A double aspect room with nice natural light and a sloping roof. First thing. The Bathroom is HUGE. disproportionate to the room itself. Modern and V clean. only niggle? poor water pressure in the shower. You are on the main road through Windermere centre so in the am there is traffic noise but I have to say we slept very well. James with whom I booked also seemed ever present over the 3 days, he was utterly charming and attentive. Breakfast was fantastic. Very well cooked and served at the table rather than buffet style. Nice Bar well stocked. We enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We have just returned from spending a very pleasant stay at the Lamplighter.
All the staff were polite and nothing was too much trouble.
We stayed in room 5 which had a modern bath and shower and was extremely clean. I would say if you are a light sleeper perhaps ask for a room at the back of the building, as it can be quite noisy at tImes.
The breakfast was very nice, with plenty of choices, they even catered for me when I emailed ahead to ask if they supplied soya milk.
We ate in the restaurant once during our stay and the food was amazing, would have liked to have eaten there more, but our budget wouldn't run to it,
There is free wifi which worked fine for the first couple of days and then went on the blink, but when I pointed it out to the manager he did get it sorted on the last day, but that was a minor problem, and really wasn't important, that's how it is in the lakes.
The Lamplighter is very central and we used it as a base to explore this beautiful county. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance if you don't want to drive in the evening.
The car park is a bit small and it's hit and miss if you can get a space, depends what time you get back, but there is street parking, so again not too much of a problem.
I would defiantly recommend this delightful B&B for a relaxing stay in the lakes.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the traffic not room 5
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My brother and I were in England for family, and treated Dad to dinner at the Lamplighter. We all had fish recommended by the manager - it was excellent. Followed by pudding and custard for desert, and an after dinner drink.

Great British food in very nice surroundings.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 23, 2013

a last minute trip booked just to get away for a few days. a good welcome from James who even carried our case to the room not often that happens (in our experience) in the UK. Nice clean room with good views of the town and very centrally located. Staff all very helpful and pleasant. Food was very nice and the breakfast was very good and should be enough to keep moist folk going all day.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here with another couple of friends who had made the booking. Apparently the stays are normally a minimum of 2 nights but, as we agreed to have a meal in the restaurant, the manager agreed to let us book a single night.

It was easy to find and well located in Windermere village. Parking on site was a bonus, we arrived around 12.45 on a Saturday so there were plenty of spaces, although these soon filled up. The welcome we received was extremely warm and friendly.

We were in room 4, the Bassenthwaite. The room was a good size with a decent sized wardrobe and dressing table. The bed was huge, actually 2 beds connected and really comfy. The bathroom was more compact with a small corner shower cubicle.

Our friends were in room 1 which was smaller with a normal sized double bed, but their shower was a bit bigger.

The food in the restaurant was very good; good portion sizes and really tasty, but I thought it a little overpriced. Breakfast was also really good, but it would have been nice to have a longer window of opportunity than an hour between 8.30am and 9.30am, which meant it was really busy.

If I had any criticism it would be that the room was a bit too warm, the towel rail in the bathroom really kicked out a lot of heat and I had trouble finding the correct valve to turn it off. We tried to open the sash window and had to wedge something at the bottom to keep it open. There was a fan in the wardrobe but I didn't want to sleep with this going. I'm sure if we had asked we would have been shown how to turn the towel rail off as the staff were lovely.

Despite these minor niggles I would definitely stay again and recommend to friends. We really enjoyed our stay and I thought it exceptional value for money. We paid £85 including breakfast, our friends room was £75 for the night.