We ate in the restaurant here a few years ago, and the food was excellent, so when we needed an overnight stop in Windermere, we booked the Lamplighter. We were given menus when we booked in, so after a wander around, we came back, freshened up, made our selections from the menu, and went down to dinner at 7pm. The place was in darkness, bar and restaurant locked up. We even went outside to check if there were any lights on, but no! It wasn't going to open anytime soon. Massively disappointed. Why were we not advised of this when we checked in? I can understand there may be little demand on a Monday night in winter, but it would have been nice to know, and why give us menus? Fortunately, there is a lovely little bistro, Mojos, almost next door, which WAS open. We had a lovely meal there.
Apart from that, this is a nice wee hotel. Bed was huge and very comfy, we both slept very well. Unlike some other reviews, we found it warm and cosy. Shower room was small but adequate, slightly odd floor, but it is an old property, and you expect these things! Very clean. Breakfast was freshly cooked, and very tasty.
Very close to the station, several cafes, pubs and eating places in the town, (although not many do food on a Monday in the off season!) It's about a mile and a half walk downhill to the lake and Bowness, which is a bit more touristy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family owned Victorian guesthouse and pub, situated in the heart of Windermere Village and located in the heart of the Lake District. Two minutes walk from Windermere train station, just off the A591 and the perfect location from which to explore the idyllic surroundings, with local amenities on your doorstep. Offering seven comfortable en-suite bedrooms and two shower only, also attached is The Lamplighter bar serving home cooked traditional pub food and beer affording great value for money. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lamplighter reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oakthorpe Hotel Windermere
- The Lamplighter Windermere, Lake District