“Good value for money”
Review of Glen Rothay Hotel

Glen Rothay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rydal
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights recently in a spacious family room.
This is a very old hotel and the fixtures and fittings match it.
Decent quality food at expected holiday prices. Good breakfast which catered for veggies.
Was a bit disappointed with quality of local beers - probably not kept well rather than any problem with breweries.
Excellent free entertainment including watching badgers being fed at dusk and watching one of the owners trying to talk to some foreign students whilst he was a little worse for drink! Overall a good stay and will return.

• Stayed: August 2014
GRHManager, Owner at Glen Rothay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2014

Thankyou for the good comments, though we will have to agree to disagree on the quality of the ales. We are extremely proud of both the range of local beers we stock and how well we keep and serve them. Good as they are, as the owner I only get to try the occasional pint and wish I had the time to indulge in more. Perhaps I should be worried it I appear tipsy though I am sober...
A case if mistaken identity I think.
Paul, owner

Reviewed August 22, 2014

We have visited this bar several time over the years and it had started to get a little tired although always very friendly atmosphere. The quality of the beer is excellent and the range is pretty good (in the Good Beer Guide). The food was much improved and now a good standard. We had the Cumberland Sausage and Gammon which were well cooked and genuinely enjoyed. The puddings were vastly better in quality and size and would now be described as generous. A good evening had by all. They clearly welcome children of all sizes and walkers are equally accepted - even with boots on!

Room Tip: Superbly placed for a wide range of walks and visiting The English Lakes and villages around!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

We have been really busy over the summer and are of course pleased that our efforts to keep an eye on the quality and quantity of our food is paying off. We have a good team here who genuinely want people to enjoy their stay or their meal, so we do take careful note of reviews. As the new owner of this lovely building, I am aware that it needs some TLC, and most of the comments about dated decor and tired rooms ring true. We are updating and improving constantly, and over the winter there will be some big improvements, so please do show us a little patience.. We have a truckload of new carpets coming! In the meantime, the prices of our rooms is very reasonable for their size and quality,
Thankyou
Paul

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Finally stayed here for two nights after always promising myself to stay here when passing it several times on many trips to the Lakes. Badger Bar excellent, friendly and full of atmosphere. Food good and fresh. Good breakfasts. Friendly, helpful staff. Perhaps rooms could do with some updating, but they are massive. Just had a great feel of a Lake District hotel with some decent walks from the door. Wish the new owners every success. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night here on the way home and fell in love with it! Food was great in the evening, they accept dogs, the chaps in the bar were very welcoming, five local real ales on the night I was there, stayed in the Kentmere room with a massive (and I'm 6'2) bed and a huge roll top bath that my wife and I fought for in the morning. Just outside is the start of a walk that will take you round Rydal water. Maddest of all, at dusk we were able to take the kids out to see badgers feeding on the lawn!
Of I was being really picky I'd say the decor was a bit tired but I don't mind that - it's not a boutique hotel - but has loads of charm and is in a great location. We're already trying to work out when we can come back!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Spent 3 nights here, friendly helpful staff! We stayed in room1 (Kentmere) - gorgeously spacious, what a treat! Had double large sized windows, seating area, shower and bath - all to our satisfaction. We ate in the Badger pub on all 3 evenings and our food and the prices were very satisfactory. Breakfast was fresh and variable. We walked into Ambleside from here, took about an hour, but a very relaxing, scenic walk. Great spot to enjoy the Lake District from.

Room Tip: Go for the Kentmere room, such a pleasure from the usual small hotel room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Very warm welcome on arrival, all staff very freindly and helpful. Very accepting of my dog billy. Room clean lovely deep bath. Evening meal and breakfast very nice and staff willing to go the extra mile with requests. I would say that the hotel does need some up grading in decoration and carpets however apart from this I would stay again, hope this is helpful.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I first visited the Badger Bar in 1979 and ten years later had my honeymoon in this hotel in 1989. We have returned a few times over the years but I had some 'Man Cave' time this May 2014 and myself and my large Rhodesian Ridgeback dog stayed one night to do my favourite walk. On arranging my stay over the phone the staff were excellent and gave me a fantastic deal. The greeting on arrival was extremely warm. I had brought reading material to while away the evening in the Badger Bar whilst on my own but the atmosphere in the bar was fantastic and everyone talked to everyone else so I never got near my book. The food was excellent including a great breakfast. I like it here.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank ian e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rydal
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Fisherbeck
The Fisherbeck
#5 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Glen Rothay Hotel? Share your experiences!