“Excellent Meal”
Review of Four and Twenty

Four and Twenty
Reserve with OpenTable
Four and Twenty is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 164 Restaurants in Penrith
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Really excellent meal well presented. Great choice and relaxed atmosphere. Could do with Prosecco as a choice for drink!! George is a brilliant waiter, very helpful and great sense of humour. Would recommend to everyone.

4  Thank HethT
There are newer reviews for Four and Twenty

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I went here a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday evening for a meal for two.
We had booked ahead by a week and it was a good job we had as the place was full to capacity.
It was buzzing with chit chat which made it a good atmosphere.

We walked in and were greeted cheerily by a female member of staff, we were then shown to our table by the guy who seemed to be in charge out front.
I think he was called George, he was so on the ball with managing all in the restaurant that night.

We were given free bread and olives, and I must say the bread was delicious.
The menu is online for all to see, and it is a small menu for the evening with a choice of 6 maybe 7 dishes for each course.
We were told it changes once a month so we have decided to go next in March to see what other delights they have for us to try.

I had the 'Seared smoked salmon, quail egg, avocado salad' for my starter, followed by the
'Crispy duck leg, braised red cabbage and apple sage sauce' and then the 'Spiced apple crumble, green apple sorbet ' for dessert.
My starter was wonderful and so was my dessert, my main meal was good but I prefered the other courses.
My OH loved all his food and his plates looked like they had been licked clean!
The food was very tasty, the portion size was good and it was presented perfectly.

Our bill was about £70 which included a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and one coffee as well as three courses each.
We were very happy to see they leave a service charge off the bill and let us as diners decide what to do there.
We were very happy to tip up well as the service by all three on that night was excellent.

The whole restaurant was good, it is decorated very well in a simple style.
The tables and chairs are not all the same which in my opinion is a good style look.
It was very clean in all areas, the toilets included in that.
The plates, glasses, cutlery etc were all top notch.
I liked the way the table was set up as well. the tea light in the cage looked good.

Well as you can tell we were very happy with all.
All my top three meals have been in Cumbria for the last year or so, two in Penrith alone now.
This was the one of those times when I ticked the box at the top of the review section at the top of the page that asks "Is this one of the best meals you've ever had in a restaurant?"
Thanks to all, see you again soon.

4  Thank whatnamecaniuse
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Turned up on spec and although this was nearly the end of lunch time(last lunch orders 2.30pm) we were warmly welcomed by very friendly staff. Service, food and drinks fantastic. The beef bourgignon was tasty, tender and succulent and the fish pie was to die for. Let's hope this restaurant goes from strength to strength. Thanks for a lovely lunch

3  Thank marjbrad
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We visited for lunch earlier this week and had the fixed price three course lunch which was very reasonable at £16 a head.
We had a five year old with us who only wanted a simple cheese and ham sandwich which they were happy to oblige and charged us a very realistic price which for us is a major bonus point straight away. I wish other restaurants would take note and not use children as a cash cow with over priced, poor quality food, make the children happy and get the parents coming back but rant over.
I had a lovely chicken liver and bacon starter and my partner the twice baked stilton which she enjoyed followed by vegetable risotto and I had the beef Bourguignon which did look huge but was plenty with a good quantity of beef. We had a mixed home made ice cream selection and a rhubarb brulee. All excellent and would definitely call back for lunch. can not comment on dinner as not tried yet but sure it is excellent and lovely service.
You could easily go for a pub lunch and save a pound or two and get frozen, bland, mass produced catering company food but why bother when you find places like this.

3  Thank fellbacker_12
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great new restaurant for Penrith. Excellent menu choices, well presented with great service. Keep up the good work guys.

3  Thank travelaholic_8