“Excellent! This is not just a roadside cafe!”
Review of The Bridge

The Bridge
Ranked #2 of 160 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent! This is not just a roadside cafe!”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were travelling over the A66 to and from Scotch Corner this Christmas and on the way down, we got to about lunch time in appalling weather and decided to stop there. The place was a lovely surprise: really nicely renovated and a pleasant atmosphere, with friendly staff including one of the proprietors running front of house. We chose a sharing selection between the 3 of us, which included cheeses, cold Italian-style ham, Chicken wings, fried Chicken pieces, pickles, olives, breads and oatcakes and probably more that I have forgotten. It was all really nice stuff and there was more than we could eat. And this for just £22. They also catered for my wife who has a wheat and barley intolerance and warmed up some of her gluten-free bread in the kitchen and put it on the side.
We also then stopped on our return journey for a very welcome coffee after being stuck for an hour above Brough after some not very sensible person attempted to take a caravan over the top in a gale and blocked the road.
If there is one tiny point, they could take some care to mark the menu with gluten-free options and other allergy and food-intolerance information. They were quite helpful when asked in person, but having this information written down would improve this further.

1 Thank Ian M

York, United Kingdom
“Warm welcome - delicious!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We travel the A66 every couple of months - going up to Scotland and back again. We stopped here for a coffee and freshly baked scone with home made jam and butter. Excellent. Looking forward to stopping again.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Elainer24
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Simply Gorgeous!”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have been to The Bridge a few times now and each time have had a gorgeous meal. The range and variety on the menu is fabulous, chips to die for and steak that just melts in the mouth! My favourite thing was a Panacotta which was the perfect compliment to one meal as a light dessert, it was simply delicious. The menu is always slightly different each time I have visited and it is lovely to see local and seasonal food on the menu, which is beautifully cooked. The décor is subtle, inviting and cosy. There is always with a warm welcome the service is impeccable, making you feel instantly at home. I took my children for a cuppa and a hot chocolate and they were made to feel welcome and well catered for. Now even my 3 year old asks, 'When are we going for another hot chocolate at the Bridge?' Certainly over Christmas!

• Visited November 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“The Jewell of the A66”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were on our way to Scotland and took the A66 because of traffic problems further north and stumbled across the Bridge Bistro out of desperation for somewhere to eat because we were starving. Talk about lucky. The food, welcome, and furnishings were nothing short of spectacular. The restaurant is fitted out to the very highest standards with clean lines and welcoming colours. The floors, tables and decor is immaculate. The menu is very imaginative with a modern cosmopolitan influence. The quality of the food is 5 star as is the value. A very filling two course meal for two with two large bottles of sparkling water £46. Amazing value, very friendly staff and a talented chef. 10 out of 10.

Penrith, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I visited The Bridge for a rare child-free night out, and I was not disappointed! The décor was warm and inviting and the staff were welcoming and attentive, without being fussy. The food was delicious, the chicken was cooked to perfection and although I had no room left for pudding, I managed to devour the chocolate brownie and ice-cream! I have worked for many years in hospitality, so I can be quite critical when I'm out in other restaurants, however the attention to detail of service at The Bridge was fantastic and the food superb. I was very impressed indeed and plan to make these nights out a more regular occurrence after finding this Cumbrian gem!