“poor decor, average food but high prices”
Review of Bangkok Bistro

Bangkok Bistro
Ranked #54 of 163 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A small, friendly family run authentic Thai restaurant. With over twenty years experience in Thai cuisine. Everything is prepared on the premises and our menu includes a wide range of vegetarian and gluten free items. Fully licensed with 50 covers. Parties catered for with buffet or al la carte. Takeaway service also available.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

had Thai food on several occasions previously, but this wasn't anything like it, we had a range of dishes, but all had basically a lemongrass overkill, and I am sure I could cook better at home.

staff were polite, but this lacks authenticity and more importantly decent food.

1  Thank yorkiefred

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We visited this restaurant based upon the Trip Advisor reviews and my personal view was that it was not quite as good as the reviews had suggested.

We visited early on a Tuesday so weren't expecting it to be busy, but the lack of customers combined with the minimalist furnishing / decor meant that there was little atmosphere.

My mixed platter starter was quite good, looked attractive and the portion was generous, the downside was that a number of the elements were overly salty. My wife had hot and sour soup to start and again it was over salted, my over riding opinion of this dish was that it was composed from leftover vegetables rather than fresh ones.
My wife enjoyed her main course of yellow curry and both the egg fried and coconut rice were good, however I felt that my stir fried garlic and pepper was somewhat bland.

If it had not been for the ubiquitous salt, the food would have probably earned 4 stars. I think that overall the food was probably cafe / take away standard rather than restaurant quality.

I must also add that the waitress was friendly and pleasant.

1  Thank ROBDOLPHIN66
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Visited here without booking on a Thursday night, it was empty so no prob getting a table. It was a rainy night and while we were there two other couples came in.
The restaurant is a bit stark in decoration and the tables are set out a bit like a canteen it could do with rearranging a bit.
We shared a seafood platter starter. I was worried it might not have been big enough for two as it was meant for one person but it felt like we'd had a starter each not half. The seafood was delicious and the tempura batter was lovely and crispy. We were surprised to find a deep fried baby corn and carrot sticks and it's not something I would want to eat again.
For a main course we both had Thai green chicken curry with sticky rice. There was plenty of chicken in it, the sauce was very nice, if slightly salty.
We would definitely return.

3  Thank Peachy-peach79
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We were late getting to friends so they had ordered a takeaway.
We have never eaten Thai food before but were well impressed, a very pleasant change to the standard Indian or Chinese fare!
If you are looking for something different I would highly recommend trying this out!

3  Thank Halblech
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our first visit, entertaining friends from the South of England. The meal arrived quickly and was well presented, served by the delightful Nam. I ordered vegetable platter and king prawn choo chee, both of which were generous Cumbrian portions, with the vegetables cooked in a light batter and the choo chee with a rich coconut sauce. Although it was a Monday night there were other diners in the restaurant. Looking forward to the next visit.

4  Thank Sharplmz