“Most welcoming and friendly”

The Lemon Tree Cafe - Bistro
Ranked #21 of 163 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I had been to The Lemon Tree before so knew what to expect. The bistro was warm, it was snowy outside, and our order was quickly taken by the friendly staff. The food is homemade and delicious. Well worth a visit. It is inside a shopping arcade and may not be easy to find at first.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I came here after two weeks in Jubilee house. And have to say it was the best English breakfast I have ever had. Sausage, bacon, black pudding, white pudding the works. If you need sorting after a night out go here. The breakfast was not cheap but worth every penny. Yummy.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We went over the Christmas holidays, two days in a row. After skimming over the menu the first time and ordering very nice soup and sandwich we noticed the pulled beef sandwich with salad and garlic mayo!

So next day we had this and it was absolutely lovely!!

Very fast service, lovely waitresses and the chef brought our food and I asked for no mayo he had brought me a little pot of tomato relish - which was so tasty.

I would recommend to anyone, its medium priced but very good value as the service and food was very good.

1  Thank ElaineThom
HelenLemonTree, Owner at The Lemon Tree Cafe - Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for your really nice review of The Lemon Tree-it's very much appreciated and glad you enjoyed the chutney!!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

So the car needed servicing and my wife and I thought we would have a potter in Penrith whilst it was done. However, the awful weather changed our minds-wind,rain and bitterly cold but this is Cumbria and we do love it just as much as Bristol!! We headed to the Devonshire Arcade to try The Lemon Tree which has been recommended by various people. Some lovely shops by the way but I'm digressing.......Glad we came. Walked in to a lovely warm welcome and a lovely warm restaurant, much appreciated given the weather conditions! The sevice was prompt, efficient and friendly and a lovely atmosphere as the young waitress chatted with a table of ladies lunching!
We are always a little aprehensive about trying new places as my wife need to have a gluten free diet. However, we were delighted to discover they knew what we meant and it was not a problem so my wife had the vegetarian club sandwich on gluten free bread with some soup, again gluten free and as I was driving she had a glass of Tempranillo. I eyed up the beers but thought better of it! I had the battered haddock and chips which was superb especially the home made tartar sauce! As we had time to kill we had coffee and gluten free chocolate cake which was pronounced a winner-my wife loved it and how nice to have a spoon of clotted cream. I tried the festive cranberry, orange and almond torte-again gluten free but you would never know!
It is possibly not the cheapest place around but the quality is certainly there-no frozen chips or cakes here! It was refreshing to see old fashioned standards are alive and well here-bottles of coke I noticed with ice and lemon rather than a tin and a glass as happens so much these days and served from a tray. Lovely table cloths and decent cutlery and crockery,cups without the coffee brand and handles you can get you fingers into and a clean, polished wine glass! Perhaps it's just me? To bring this to a close as I have rather rambled the toilets are spotless acording to my wife but the chairs could do with cushions for us oldies lingering over lunch and the lap top-forgot to mention the free WiFi! We will certainly be back especially as my wife felt confident eating here which is not always the case.

Thank you for your lovely review of The Lemon Tree-very much appreciated!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went for a snack of mince pies and coffee....on arrival were told to take a seat and we would be waited on.
We waited 15 minutes.....whilst the waitress decided who to serve and who not.
The staff generally had little passion for their customers and barely raised a smile to anyone. Why work in a café if you hate the job?
Our mince pies arrived - tasty enough but pastry as hard as rock!
Nice coffee - but VERY expensive for such a small cup.
If you are in Penrith there are better places by far.....

HelenLemonTree, Owner at The Lemon Tree Cafe - Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your review-it is appreciated although somewhat negative. All we can say is a big sorry for your wait and the poor mince pie. We are always happy to give customers a top up of filter coffee-just ask and the pastry recipe has been reviewed!

Harder to respond to and act upon is your view of our passionless staff. We do our best to encourage everyone at The Lemon Tree to welcome and interact with our customers but we seem to have missed the mark on the day you visited.

Please, please, to everyone - if there is a problem at The Lemon Tree, tell us there and then, so that we can try to resolve it and you will hopefully leave happier customers.

Helen Lynch