“Absolutely wonderful food. A lovely place. Well worth a vist.”

Grants of CastleGate, Cafe Bar Bistro
Ranked #14 of 160 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Family Run Wine Bar Bistro, Serving High Quality Fresh Food, Chef/Proprietor. Outstanding Reputation.
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Absolutely wonderful food. A lovely place. Well worth a vist.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is only the second time I have ever ticked the box that asks "is this one of the best meals you have ever had in a restaurant", that speaks volumes if only to me.

I was up in this part of the country and as we fancied a meal out so I started looking on Trip to see what was around.
This place popped up in the number one spot in Penrith and after reading some of the wonderful complimentary reviews we decided to sample its delights.

It is easy to find and we parked on the road a few yards away from the main entrance.
We walked in and were greeted with a cheery hello and a smile from a lovely lady who we later found out was the owner.
The other lady serving on that night was excellent also, the service was top class at all times.

We decided to have a drink first and I chose a Vodka cocktail from the cocktail menu.
This menu had 6/8 cocktails on it and they were priced at roughly 4/5 pounds each.
Bargain prices in my opinion.
We were given menus and chose our food whilst sitting in the downstairs bar area.
I actually looked around and commented to my OH that I thought it must be a new restaurant as it all looked so fresh and clean.
We did in fact find out that they have been there 9 years.
The restaurant in all areas was so clean and spotless, a credit to the cleaner.

Food wise....
Complimentary bread of two sorts was given to us, I loved the fruit and nut bread.
We were offered more as well, so being greedy we said yes!
I had a prawn and avo salad with a wonderful dressing on it.
It was very tasty and looked good on the plate too.
My main meal was breast of chicken in some sort of sauce that though I now forget what it said it was on the menu, it was just so darn good.
On my main plate I had some very small roasted potatoes that were stacked in a round shape, again they looked good, but tasted better.
The individual (inclusive in the main meal price) serving of vegetables consisted of 5 different ones, all cooked in a unique way and yet again wonderfully tasty and presented so well.
For my dessert I had a wonderful Limoncello thingy that came with.....oh just go and order one yourself.....it will take me too long to say how it came!
It was very very good though.

So that was that, 3 courses of wonderful food, cooked perfectly, presented perfectly, served perfectly.
I can not rate this place highly enough.
We have booked for 4 of us for the next time I am up in this area.
Many thanks to all there, seriously impressed lady here!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank whatnamecaniuse
Valerietaborsmith, Owner at Grants of CastleGate, Cafe Bar Bistro, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank You most sincerely for your very complimentary review, we are
all so pleased you enjoyed your evening with us, and we hope to welcome you
again soon.

Penrith
“Superb family wedding anniversary dinner”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Grants could not have done more to make our anniversary celebration so special. A huge effort was made to accommodate us on the ground floor as my husband was in a wheelchair and food, service and attention to detail were perfection personified! Grants is one of Penrith's best kept secrets amongst those who seek superb food and service and professionalism and hospitality. Thanks so much Alison and Willie.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Susan W
Thank You for such a lovely review - delighted you all enjoyed your Wedding
Anniversary dinner so much, we hope to see you all again very soon.
Allison.
Penrith, United Kingdom
“xmas night out”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

lovely food lovely place lovely lady that owned restaurant . would defo go back had the xmas menu. went at 7 had 4 courses with coffee we werent rushed and left abut 11.00 .reasonably priced for a xmas meal.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Angela S
Thank You so much for your very nice review, we are very pleased
that you all enjoyed your evening with us, hope to see you again.
Allison.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Meal Supreme”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Visited Grants again on Friday last with wife & son. Treat ourselves to the Christmas special menu.
The meal was wonderful from start to finish & we were looked after superbly by Alison & Olivia.
Don't know of anywhere that we could partake of a meal with the same quality of food and service at such a reasonable price.
We only live 20 miles away so can be there in half a hour. We're thinking about applying for season tickets

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Laurence D
Davidsons681, Owner at Grants of CastleGate, Cafe Bar Bistro, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you Laurence D for such a lovely review - delighted you enjoyed it so much,
we look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food, Excellent Service, Reasonable Price”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Having being imprisoned in Centre Parc Whinfell for a few days we needed proper food that hadn't been prepared in a chain so we ventured out. Quick search on Trip Advisor suggested this place as it's only 10 minutes from Centre Parcs. Cannot recommend it highly enough - lovely welcome, great cocktails, excellent food and service.

The meal on a Thursday night was £21 for 3 courses which represented absolutely excellent value. I had pheasant breast on slices of haggis for starter, then lamb on mash for main and then a lovely cheese cake for dessert.

All the food was freshly prepared and tasted great.

Whole bill came to £90 including drinks for 3 "adults" (one is a teenager) and 1 9 year old child. This included 2 cocktails, glass of wine and a few soft drinks.

The only downside was that the place was quiet so lacked a little atmosphere but other than that it deserves the 5 stars I gave it.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Skipstream69
Davidsons681, Owner at Grants of CastleGate, Cafe Bar Bistro, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank You skipstream 69 family for your lovely review, delighted you all enjoyed your evening
with us, hope to see you again in the near future.