“Not an experience fit for the aristocracy”

Lowther Castle Cafe
Ranked #87 of 164 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: British
Reviewed April 27, 2014

On entering the cafe, the serving area is at the back of an echoing space. Not a problem, but there is not a lot of "flow" to the organisation of getting served. The choice of rolls (wrapped in a cellophane and paper bag) was fairly limited, with no options for a fresh one to be made to order. They are kept in a fridge (yes, I do understand the requirments of the Environmental Health Officer) at a temperature too low for enjoyment, the roast beef and onion one I had was in fairly stale, dry bread and the beef looked as if it had come from the local supermarket - I can't comment on the taste as (as I said) it was too cold. There was a selection of paninis available, but I didn't see the cost, nor how they were to be served. My husband chose a ham & gruyere panini and it came dressed with coleslaw and some chopped salad; he said it was ok. The total cost for middle-rate food and a couple of high-end ginger beers was £14.30, which made the panini £4.85 - as I said, the price wasn't evident before you are at the till - in fact I had to work it out from knowing the price of the drinks and my beef roll.
All in all I was disappointed, the cafe is local to me and I don't feel inclined to make a re-visit - which is a shame. Having said all this, I have no complaints about the staff, just that the food and the amibence are bettered by miles in other establishments in the locality.

There are newer reviews for Lowther Castle Cafe

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Maybe this review does not fit in with the standard idea of visiting the café at Lowther Castle. But I cannot find another way of letting folks know about the special celebration our family had at the café.
We chose Lowther Castle as a venue for India's 21st as it is totally different from any other venue locally, and because we have such an affection for the castle and gardens, their design and the hopes for future development.
Working with the staff to plan and co-ordinate the evening was painless, Nicki and Jake took our ideas for food and layout on board to develop a unique evening.
Food wise , we chose Venison casserole, vegetable curry , chicken in tarragon , swedish potatoes and a sublime sticky toffee pudding to follow. For 100 folks it was served informally, sitting at long tables upstairs.
Needless to say, all the food had local provenance, with the very local Tirril brewery, providing a pop up bar with their own beer and some good wine, reasonably priced.
The atmosphere was of course happy and noisy with great rocking local band Soul Survivors and we also did some silly old fashioned games. The Narnia theme with birch trees, white and silver flowers and hundreds of candles and enormous tissue pompoms were created by my daughters floristry business Greenwheat flowers. Again, working with the staff to decorate without interfering with the daytime café business went smoothly.The very modern, almost industrial architecture inside contrasted with the Gothic eeriness of the vast castle backdrop was perfect . All in all, certainly a night to remember.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Vegetable soup is tremendous it's full of vegetables,all the usual plus butter beans ,courgettes etc.
Roast Beef is thick tasty,top quality.Lamb Henry tremendous.
Service excellent,friendly and helpful.
Best to book a table as it gets busy.

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for afternoon tea. Great cafe in newly converted stables looking onto courtyard. Castle still undergoing extensive restoration, great stop off in Penrith. Food was great and lovely staff. Good value.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Great food if a little expensive, but great quality. Had a selection of panini's (a group meal;) and afternoon tea later. The chocolate brownie was to die for and the tea was the best I have ever had. (the pot was full of some shredded tea that I have never seen before and I wish I had asked what type of tea it was!)

Staff were friendly as well. Hope to return with family soon