“Great noodles”

Thai Food Cafe
Ranked #12 of 160 Restaurants in Penrith
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tring
“Great noodles”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Small restaurant and takeaway at the rear of the Devonshire Arcade (go round the back in the evening when the arcade is shut). Very clean and friendly. Booth style tables could be off-putting but the service is good and you can see right into he kitchen from the restaurant. The Pad Thai Pak (stir fried rice noodles with eggs, bean sprouts, spring onions, chives, carrots and baby corn) was excellent. Medium spiced soup as about as hot as I can take but very tasty (I like spicy food), so maybe go for mild if you don't want too much of a burn. King Prawns were very fresh and large. House red (merlot) at £10.95 was fine for the price.

• Visited May 2013

Sussex
“Maybe we were expecting too much.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Its a tradition, the last night of the holiday we have a nice meal out. Where else could we go other than the trip advisor number 1 recommendation in Penrith. My wife and I love Thai food and all the positive reviews had us really looking forward to the meal. Saturday night, 7.15pm we walked in without booking. Bit of a risk but we had no trouble getting a table. The restaurant is tiny consisting of about 8 booth style tables just like you would find in an American Diner. If your expecting a restaurant style service then you may be disappointed. We were not really greated as we walked in but more nodded towards a table. We have two Thai beers to start. I had a prawn soup and I was asked if I liked it spicy. I said I did and boy it was spicy and I would suspect far far too hot for most people. It had three or four large prawns in it but sadly they were tasteless. My wife went for the chicken satay but that to was disappointing. Four very thin pieces of chicken and a tiny little bowl of peanut sauce. The chicken was tough and dry and difficult to get off the sticks. So onto the main course. We ordered a sweet & sour fish dish, a chicken Massaman curry and a prawn vegetable rice which was a main course rice dish. We thought that would be plenty for two people however the portions are actually quite small. The fish dish consisted of a piece of battered fish which was thin, limp and pretty tasteless. There were small chopped vegetables which looked and tasted more like frozen mixed veg. The sweet and sour sauce was ok. The curry was really disappointing. The sauce was very runny, the chicken pieces were tiny as were the potatoes. We have had some lovely Massaman curries but this was not like them. Last and least was the rice dish. I would have been so disappointed if I had just had that as a main as some people would. It was no better than Uncle Bens rice with some mixed veg and three more tasteless prawns. The rice seemed to have no seasoning at all. At no time during the meal did the waitress ask us if everything was alright. By this time there was only one other party in the restaurant. I watched as they grew annoyed that they could not attract the waitress for more drinks. In the end one of them had to get up and go and ask for them at the counter. It was the same for me a bit later when I wanted to pay. I had to go up to the counter. There were three staff on duty, 2 in the kitchen which you can see into from the counter and the one server. There were a number of takeaway meals waiting to go out for delivery and I think it was those that were consuming all the attention. So I am sad to say I didnt enjoy my meal at all. I didnt leave a tip which is most unusual for me and I cannot understand why the restaurant is number 1 in town. I so wanted to enjoy this meal but it was not to be.

Visited May 2013
10 Thank Shrimpfarmer
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Really lovely tasty food!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is our favourite restaurant in Penrith, we often pop in and pick something up from here at the weekend. The food is always delicious and fresh tasting, I can highly recommend the duck salad, it's so tasty with lime, chilli and coriander.
We've also eaten in, it's lovely and clean and the service was really friendly.
There isn't a huge amount of space if you have a big party, and the seating is in little booths for 4, but it's great if you're a family or couple out for a cosy dinner. Handy parking right outside the door at night, but a bit of a struggle parking during the day.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank whittaker_nikki
“Best Thai food I have tasted in a long time”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our first visit tonight to the restaurant. We live near Penrith and have been meaning to visit. The food was excellent and there was plenty in each serving. We had the mixed starters, followed by sticky rice and two beef dishes (peanut one and a ginger one). They were both delicious.

Highly recommend visiting here for Thai. The service was great and the food excellent and fresh.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Bexd1987
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“yummy food”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

a small but cosy thai restaurant situated in the city centre of Penrith. enjoyed our three course meal for the evening.

Visited April 2013