“Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 62 Penrith B&B and Inns
Oswaldtwistle
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2008

We were a party of 9 occupying 6 rooms staying for my daughters 21st birthday. All the rooms were beautiful, and the personal touches in each room made our stay even more enjoyable. Delicious breakfast. Nothing was too much trouble for Leon and Debbie and they went out of their way to make our stay there extra special. We will definately be returning. Thank you so much.

• Liked — The attention to detail to make your stay enjoyable
  • Disliked — Can't fault anything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Gateshead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

We stayed for 4 days 3 nights from the 21st till the 24th Oct 08.
Myself & mywife stayed in the 4 poster bed & we were not dissapointed by the 5 star service that we received from start to finish. We were shown to are room's, which had every thing that you could ever need. Then they gave us fresh milk for are mini fridge.
We have to teenage children staying next door & they explained to us how to get the WIFI link for there laptops, thats them pleased.
The food every morning was to die for, i will have to go on a diet for the next few weeks to work it off. Then every day they went into the rooms & made the beds & replaced any of the tea, coffee's & waters extra that has been used. Also fresh towels every day, made it nice to come back to.

• Liked — From walking in the front door, to leaving 3 days later.
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Barry247
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

As a travel journalist I've had the fortune of staying in some superb five star hotels around the world but I can honestly say, hand on heart, I'd be pushed to find a hotel as excellent as Brooklands. It is as far removed from your standard B&B as you can imagine, although it does have the wonderful personal touch that a guesthouse can provide.

I booked in with my boyfriend for two nights to attend a party at the bigger (and twice as expensive) North Lakes Hotel. In theory we just wanted a place to sleep that was clean and not too pricey. In reality, we found a hotel that we will certainly be returning to.

We initally booked in for one night in a standard double room, then a couple of weeks later decided to stay for two. The owners, Debbie and Leon, explained they only had a deluxe room for the first night and that we would have to change rooms, which wasn't a problem.

On arrival, we were greeted by Leon, who handed us a disc to park for free outside the hotel temporarily while we unpacked our bags and gave us directions across the road for a free car park. He then helped to carry our bags upstairs, which was a lovely touch.

Then we saw our room - a large room complete with leather sofa... and four poster bed. Absolutely fantastic! So often the photos on a hotel website look nothing like the reality, the opposite of this was true. Everything was brand new but full of character - good size stylish bathroom with power shower, more toiletries than you could shake a stick at (everything from a shaving kit to a toothbrush), towelling bathrobes, mini fridge with free bottles of water, lovely biscuits, great selection of refreshments (from herbal tea to hot chocolate - and several of each... not the usual measly two tubs of milk you get in most hotels).

The bed was supercomfy, had gorgeous bedding and loads of pillows and cushions - perfect for reclining on to watch the flat screen TV (complete with Freeview and DVD player). As we headed out on the first evening, Leon recommended loads of places to eat and drink (we headed to the Lowther Arms for a few pints. It was excellent - thanks Leon!).

Breakfast the next day was, again, excellent. Wonderful full English (although loads of other options from salmon fishcakes to porridge and cereals, jams, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc), cooked to perfection, and a massive caffetiere of coffee. At breakfast Leon let us know that the booking had been sorted and we could stay in the four poster room - whahey!

On the second night some of our friends stayed in another room and agreed that Brooklands is a bit of a gem.

I don't usually ramble on this long on Trip Advisor, but I really do think Brooklands, Leon and Debbie deserve such high praise. For my job I have to be honest and critical when visiting a hotel and, seeing as in this case I was paying for it, if I hadn't been entirely happy then I would say so. But this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in and I still can't believe the price. I would be quite happy to pay double for a room of this standard and, in the Lake District, so many other mediocre hotels charge far more.

On a final note, it was only when we had paid the bill and were on the motorway home I realised we had only been charged for a standard double room and not a deluxe room - I contacted Debbie to offer to send a cheque for the difference, but she told us not to worry about it and that she was happy we had enjoyed our stay. You don't get service and quality like this in a five star hotel!

Many thanks Debbie and Leon for such a wonderful weekend. We hope to be back again soon!

• Liked — Level of service and superb rooms - absolute luxury!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

Contacted the guest house based on excellent photos of rooms on website and we were really pleased at the high standard and very reasonable rates - we've paid a lot more for a lot less in the past!
Very relaxed and friendly welcome (met by Leon who was happy to store bike safely). Contrary to another reviewer i do like scented oils and the burner on in the evening when we arrived in from our evening dinner was a lovely touch which we both liked. The reception area is welcoming and loved the fish tank upstairs!
Breakfast was excellent - very fresh back bacon cooked perfectly for me!
Our room was the deluxe suite and everything was provided to a very high standard - including lots of wee extra touches you don't get everywhere.
We would recommend brooklands wholeheartedly for anyone visiting penrith

• Liked — comfortable atmosphere, luxurious room, attentionn to detail, location, price.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

As bed and breakfast go this is one of the best quality I have ever stayed at. The room was excellent and you could not ask for more. Tea, coffee, biscuits and chocolates! There were two bottle of water in a small fridge and you can ask for fresh milk. The bed was clean and comfy. The room was a good size but may have been cramped with three people in it. So, I hear you asking, what was wrong? It was the smell. On arriving you are met with an over powering smell from an aromatic oil burner as well as various scented candles. You can smell them before you even get through the door. Although, it must be said, that this smell did not reach my 2nd floor bedroom. At breakfast the next day I was again greeted with a range of smells. I saw 3 different scented candles alight alone in the small breakfast room. The breakfast was OK but I found the smell put me off and I had to retreat outside for a breath of fresh air.

I can see why people rave over this B and B. It is lovely but my nose disagreed. I cannot understand why we had this amount of candles and oil. The rest of the house did not smell and it didn’t seem to be required because they had burnt the toast. I did mention this to the owner as I left and received no explanation. So if you are into this sort of thing it should not bother you. However, if you are like me and don’t mind a mild aroma but prefer not to have smell rammed up your nose you would do well to go somewhere else. I do feel really bad about moaning but our community is best if the truth is told and this is how I saw it.

• Liked — The quality of the room
  • Disliked — The smell of oil burners and lots of scented candles
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Nik2212
penrithbasil, owner at Brooklands Guest House, responded to this review, August 27, 2008
It is good to see that our customer was so happy with the room, the service and all the extras we provided for him. Unfortunately he chose not to mention the scented candle at any time, right up to the moment when he left, and even then delivered this comment more as a "parting shot" than a helpful piece of advice. If we had known he didn't like the candle in the hall we would certainly have put it out right away.
The candle in the breakfast room was unusual for us - normally we do not light anything in there for exactly the reasons described in the review, and we're sorry that this did disturb his breakfast. It will not happen again.
However, a light, fresh scent in a hallway seems to be welcomed by most of our guests so if this client does return he just needs to let us know when he will be arriving so we can put out that candle 20 minutes earlier.
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2008

Had a fraught few days in Penrith prior to our daughter's wedding. Brooklands was fantastic and Leon was unbelievably supportive in my hour(s) of need. Looking forward to going back and just enjoying the local area.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Thoughtfulness
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Morpeth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

Stayed here earlier this week as part of my cross-country bike ride (Coast-2-Coast) and can thoroughly recommend Brooklands Guest House in Penrith to anyone looking to stay in this area. I was made to feel very welcome on arrival, and was given several recommendations as to where I could eat out, which always helps in a place you don't know so well. There was a secure place to store my bike overnight which was reassuring. The room itself was immaculately clean, and everything that I could have wanted was there (drinks, small fridge, decent size LCD TV). Breakfast was very enjoyable with a very good choice. Full english breakfast was tasty and obviously freshly cooked to order and was certainly not floating in grease unlike other places I have stayed. The whole place had a good 'feel' about it in terms of atmosphere and being clean, fresh, modern, yet still cosy and comfortable. A great deal of effort must go into the running of this place and it shows. If I was looking to stay in this area again, I wouldn't even go to the bother of looking anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel
Crosby Bed and Breakfast
Albany House
Albany House
#8 of 62 in Penrith

Been to Brooklands Guest House? Share your experiences!