“Could do more”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Could do more”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Ate here while staying in Patterdale. Food was reasonably expensive but I guess that's just the area. Portions were on the larger side and the food was ok. I had the chicken burger and was reasonably tasty. A companion noted he thought the mash might have been microwave mash which even if it is not it shouldn't taste like it similar to the "frozen chips" debate other reviewers have had. Nothing special but would probably visit again. Service was brisk enough on a busy evening.

• Visited July 2013

Seaham, United Kingdom
“Looked lovely but the food was.. POISON! And the managers attitude stunk!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Of all the beautiful places to go for a meal in the lakes, we picked the worst

a lovely looking place on the outside however i would strongly recommend you avoid dining here!

we sat outside as it was a gorgeous evening, i had the Cumberland sausage and mash and my husband had the gourmet chicken pizza,bill costing about £30 ...not cheap!!
the food arrived in good time the sausage and mash was...well we will say standard...definitely not worth the money and the pizza was greasy, nothing "gourmet"about it
...anyway i finished mine and my husband was half way through his pizza when he noticed green spots on the bottom of the base
obviously mold spores!!!!!!!!!!# all over the bottom of the pizza
he took it and showed the manager who said..."its the oil we use we've had loads of complaints" ...his attitude was disgusting for a manager, he turned his back and we weren't offered a replacement or our money back.... Not even an apology !

we eventually got the cost of the pizza back...how kind!

safe to say we were very very unhappy with the way the manager dealt with the situation. He lied, was soooo offensive and his attitude was that of an ignoramus who should clearly not be in a position of management

....one more thing to add... I am allergic to penicillin and if i had eaten the pizza ...he would be looking at a lawsuit!

• Visited July 2013
Miss_SgA, Manager at Ratchers Tavern Bar, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear guest,

I would have liked to have started this response with a thank you for your comment as we do place high value on customer reviews...however on what I have read, there is not a single thing here I can use constructively and almost certainly nothing of value to take on board!!

Your comments are not factual and are merely fictitious! In this industry we adopt 'the customer is always right' stance however in this instance you are most definitely WRONG.

I shall stick to the facts and that remains we sell a very large number of pizzas a day in this current busy season. Our pizzas are FRESHLY made everyday we DO NOT buy in pre made pizza bases nor do we freeze pizza bases! We prepare each day for the business ahead. We make individual fresh pizza dough mix for the same day. I do believe I detailed to you the process of our pizzas and I also showed you what the little specs were that were found on the base of your pizza!!! It was a oil stain from the pizza tins which your pizza was cooked in. When pushing the dough into the pizza tins we oil the tins and then leave the dough to prove...the marks to which you refer were nothing more than little oil stains imprinted from the pizza tin whilst cooking!

We do not take kindly to being called liars you cannot simply state blatant untruths without being backed with facts so for you to throw and band around such statements without evidence is considered defamation!

As for calling me an 'ignoramus' I would like to state I find that very offensive and shocking especially when upon dealing with your concern in person you thanked me for the goodwill gesture of providing a refund after offering a replacement and also detailing to you the valid explanation as to why you had specs of oil on the base of your pizza. I also stated to you that I was not giving you the refund because I was agreeing with your complaint but simply because you had eaten 3 quarters of the pizza and as a goodwill gesture to retain you as a future customer... may i also add that you stated that the Cumberland sausage was 'lovely' not 'standard' as you have described here in your review!

I am little bemused to read this review as when I spoke with you in person you did not show or mention any concern about my 'offensive' attitude you were quite happy and thanked me for my assistance in the matter and quite happy to accept the full refund for your pizza. I think the word you used was 'appreciated'! Now i am astounded to read such a personal and scathing attack on myself and the food!! Your manner over a social media review site is a complete contrast to when we spoke in person.
Durham
“Quite possibly the worst coffee shop ever!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

After a lovely boat journey to Glenridding we popped in the coffee shop for cream tea .. After a communication struggle with the staff I ordered homemade chips, afternoon tea (comprising fruit scone, fruit preserve and cream) and tea.

The 'homemade' chips were straight from a freezer bag and a lonely dry scone arrived without accompaniments .. I went to the counter to enquire about the whereabouts of the jam and cream where I was told "we don't have jam, I can get you cream if you want?" ... ermmm I think you will find that jam and cream should come as per menu listing. Luckily a manager (I presume) saw what was happening and went next door to the restaurant for jam. After another 5 minute delay the jam arrived without cream .. I once again asked for cream and waiting a further 5 minutes for this.

The staff were clearly inexperienced, slow, rude and dismissive.

I would highly recommend that should you find yourself in the glorious Glenridding you give this a very wide berth!

• Visited June 2013
Miss_SgA, Manager at Ratchers Tavern Bar, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your comments we use feedback of all kinds constructively in a bid to improving guest experience.
I can only apologise you experienced such a negative service on your recent visit to our Kilners Coffeeshop.
I cannot concede your comment about frozen chips…we do not and never have sold frozen chips…all our chips are as stated on the menu ‘homemade’ we simply would not advertise so if they were not, this was be a trading standards issue if so. If you read my response to another guest below I have explained the whole process of how we make and serve our chips.
I would however like to sincerely apologise for the service you received and agree it was below expectation and our usual high standards. This was indeed noticed by the manager that day and the person in question employment was terminated as a result of the service you received. We work hard training new staff to give a very friendly and professional service. Staff follow a structured training scheme and a lot of training is practical based, working alongside experienced members of staff to gain the experience necessary to give the excellent service we strive for.

I hope you will not be put off by this one off incident because we would love to welcome you back anytime in the future!
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Needs to try harder”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Had the fish, chips and peas.
Small piece of fish, chips were from a packet and peas were basic frozen.
Cost was £13.95.
Very expensive.
Would not eat here again.

Visited May 2013
Miss_SgA, Manager at Ratchers Tavern Bar, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Mick W,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry you felt your visit to the Ratchers Tavern fell short of your expectations on this occasion.

We work hard at keeping our prices reasonable in such a competitive area where prices are that little bit higher than your city bars/restaurants and big franchise chain bars/restaurants but more importantly that we strive to provide good value for money with quality food, fine ales and excellent service.
I would like to point out that all of the meals on our menus are freshly prepared and made to order.

I would also like to point out that we serve 'Homemade' chips and NOT as you stated 'out of a packet'.
The only packets of chips we have in our kitchen are the potatoes that come in a big sack (Maris Piper potatoes to be precise) which are then washed in the potato rumbler (removing the potato skins) , freshly washed potatoes are then transferred to the chipper (which chips the potatoes). Once this process is complete the chips are blanched in the fryer before being fried to each individual order. The fish is a fresh fillet of haddock (weighing 115 grams) which is battered in a Cumberland ale tempura batter mix (freshly prepared each day), the garden peas are indeed frozen as frozen peas are available all year round, fresh garden peas are in season from early June until late July.

We welcome feedback of all kinds as this helps us improve our overall service.
Once again I am sorry you felt we did not meet your expectations on this occasion, but we would love to welcome you back to the Ratchers Tavern at anytime in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Ok pub but nothing special”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Food here was ok with reasonable portion sizes. Of all the pubs I've tried in Glenridding, this one definitely comes out on top, but it is still not the best pub I have ever eaten in by a long shot.

I had a little trouble with noise levels since the TV was turned up high enough to be a distraction, but on the plus side I could buy 30 minute passes for Wi-Fi which was very much appreciated since signal is difficult to come by in that area with most providers.

Visited March 2013