“Don't stay anywhere else”

Roundthorn Country House
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed November 25, 2013

If you want to stay in a delightful country hotel look no further. The location in stunning, it's quiet but only a mile from the centre of Penrith.
The warm, welcoming fires were matched by the staff who could not have been more helpful. The room in this historic building had modern facilities yet retained the character of the house. So much nicer than the impersonal chain hotels.
Despite arriving late we had a well cooked, well presented and very tasty meal and relaxed toasting our toes as we relaxed for the evening, smug that we have chosen the Roundthorn to stay in.
And when you wake up what a view - this morning the mist was in the valley and the hill tops were sprinkled white.
The breakfast was freshly cooked - no sad looking canteen style servings here - and set us up for the day ahead.
My only regret - not having the time to stay longer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lamby0108
Roundthorn_CH, Owner at Roundthorn Country House, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hello Lamby0108

Thank you very much for taking the time to give your lovely feedback. I'm delighted that you had such and enjoyable stay, and that the Cumbrian weather was even kind in the morning!

We endeavor to ensure our guests are able to relax and unwind in a comfortable and welcoming environment, so it is my absolute pleasure to hear that you were able to enjoy both the hospitality and surroundings in this way.

I really hppe we are able to welcome you back in the future, and that your next stay is equally, if not even more enjoyable!

Warmest wishes,

Graham Carruthers

Reviewed November 15, 2013

6 ladies who like the better things in life were not disappointed.We arrived to a warm welcome & sorted out our rooms.Ours was on the top floor up a narrow staircase & we did wonder what we had let ourselves in for.What a wonderful surprise,not only did we have a huge room but also a dining table with 4 upholstered chairs ,a settee ,& kitchenette with fridge microwave kettle with the usual tea coffee & chocolate plus bickies.This is room10.It may not suit a tall man & is not suitable for anyone with mobility problems.We had complimentary prosecco & canapés prior to our E/m.Both were scrummy.There is a good variety of starters & main courses both of which were well presented & very generous.The wine list is quite comprehensive& not overpriced .We slept well & were lucky to wake to a "Turneresque" sunrise.Breakfast was very good.Self service fruit ,yogurt,juice or cereal then a huge cooked to order non greasy fry up.We really cannot find anything to moan about at all.Quite unusual for us.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I stay at The Roundthorn with work most months. It's a fantastic hotel all round. Location is great and the outside grounds are very quiet and relaxing.
I always stay in the attic room which is awesome, lots of space and very cosy. The bed was very comfortable and rooms overall are spotless.
The staff are fantastic and always friendly, they can't do enough to make sure we have everything for our meeting.
Food is always very tasty whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. One of the really nice touches is at breakfast there is always a fresh honeycomb.
I cannot fault The Roundthorn at all and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a fantastic value hotel in both personal or business use.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ross K
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My daughter got married here after a wedding at Christ church Penrith, and I can't fault it. The rooms were spotless, full of character, beautiful furnishings, the breakfast was filling,I couldn't finish it, and what a choice! The wedding was fully organised by Roundthorn, we didn't have to worry on the day as all was set up for us. They even put the chair covers I had hired on for us and took them off again. Would recommend to anyone, should be a 5 star as was a brilliant place. Will never forget my time there. Food was lovely, bar service friendly and prompt. When i told them thje toilet roll had run out during the wedding reception it was re-filled immediately. They let the bride take breakfast in her room whilst she was having her hair done, so she could relax. Thank you Roundthorn :) x

Room Tip: the rooms at the front have fantastic views,it is idyllic
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank clazdana
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We held our wedding here on October 5th. We had 6 rooms booked the night before and the whole hotel the night of the wedding. Everything was great, the staff warm, friendly and professional. We all ate at the hotel the night before and were not expecting much more than a bar menu. We were very pleasantly surprised not only by the choice but the quality. We spent a pleasant evening in the bar, watching the staff prepare for the next day. The rooms are all spacious and exceptionally clean, with big comfy beds. Breakfast the next day was lovely.

The wedding itself was fantastic, its great to have the whole place to yourselves. All our guests were complimentary about the food, the wine and their rooms. The whole day appeared to run effortlessly thanks to Sarah, who was always on hand to help and give a reassuring smile as nerves kicked in before walking in to the ceremony. The venue looked lovely, they prepared everything exactly as we had discussed. The bar staff were great, the ladies serving breakfast were lovely.

My only recommendation is for more mirrors in the large room. This is a great room for the bride to get ready as it is large with a kitchenette, but only one mirror tucked away in a dark corner! This though is truly minor as I cannot recommend the Roundthorn highly enough. A wonderful venue with staff worth their weight in gold.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2013

There is not a lot I can add to the review by 83 Janet. We had a good room with a view across the garden to Brougham Castle with the Pennines to the left and the lake district to the right. Breakfast was as good as I've had anywhere and the cost was half what I'd paid elsewhere.
It is a lovely house but could be better. At the top of an elegant staircase is an institution type of fire door. I know fire precautions are essential but most period hotels manage to comply without having such an eyesore in such a prominent position.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a splendid view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were breaking our journey from London to Scotland, so this hotel is conveniently close to the M6. The exterior is stunning, as are the views across the lovely countryside. Inside, I was a little disappointed by the reception/dining area, as the decor was more pub than hotel. But I did appreciate our bedroom which was spacious, well-appointed, with a good bathroom and great views. Again, I found the dinner menu disappointing - I had expected an interesting table d'hote menu, but it was fairly uninspiring pub grub. However, the breakfast was excellent - lovely choice of fresh fruits etc., then a freshly-cooked full English. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, despite the niggles.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Roundthorn_CH, Owner at Roundthorn Country House, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear 83 Janet,

Thank you for your feedback; I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and delighted that you were able to take the time to enjoy the room and of course the magnificent views; we are very lucky to be situated in an area of such natural beauty.

In regards to the 'niggles', obviously I am sorry that there was any small thing that would tarnish your otherwise happy stay with us - it is for this reason that we always endeavour to ensure that guests know what type of establishment we are before their arrival - our website and other marketing clearly states we are a Country House, not a Hotel, and also that there is no Restaurant; the supper menu we proivide is simply designed as an informal option for residents that wish to dine in the comfortable surrounsdings of our Cosy Lounge Bar area. It is designed to high specifiations, with locally sourced produce, and is normally greatly recieved.

Furthermore, staff are always more than happy to advise of more formal restaurants and eateries in the town centre, which is only minutes away.

All of our marketing does state this information, so I am a little dissapointed that you were expecting more of Hotel environment, rather than the Warm, Luxurious Country House experience that we pride ourselves on. If this information was not clear to you prior to your arrival, I can only apologise for any mistakes on our part, and hope that now it is explained, you are much happier with the style of decor and dining options that you found.

Janet, I do hope this response eradicates any residual dissatisfaction you may have. I am, of course happy that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, particularly the breakfast! I just wanted to take the time here to dispel any further confusion for other travellers, and to wish you well and do hope you return again sometime in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to give feedback.

Kindest regards,

Graham Carruthers
Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge

Been to Roundthorn Country House? Share your experiences!