“Lovely area - lovely hotel”

North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Lovely area - lovely hotel”
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Me and my partner stayed here when my partner proposed. The hotel itself is quite ugly on the outside and near a main road, I kind of thought at the time that it might be in some lush field or something but it wasn't! The inside had a log fire and was very cosy and welcoming. The room was lovely. The food was also lovely, great restaurant with a man playing a piano outside, while you waited to be seated. The leisure facilities are also brilliant. I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — the room and food
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed January 2004, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
UK Hull
Reviewed February 10, 2008

went to the hotel for mine and my fiancee's anniversary for two nights it wasn't what we expected it to be but it was nice.
we both took advantage of the spa treatments was quite pricey but it was a special occasion.

The room was quite different to the images in the brochure and the images on the hotels website, it was smaller then expected.
We stayed in the executive suite which was decorated nice
but the bath room seemed a bit old and the shower was really hot. The food was well over budget for what you got and me and my boyfriend didnt like the food so we went to a near by pub which was near the hotel for our last night in Penrith.

Penrith is a lovely place with a lovely town with a few shops and places to stop to take photographs.

apart from the food and the price of the food we had a great time.

• Liked — was clean and the bed was lovely
  • Disliked — the size of the room and the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 060511l
uk
Reviewed November 26, 2007

My partner and i travelled to this hotel for our engagement for 3 nights Dinner Bed & Brekfast. This hotel is absolutely stunning, throughout the property are well placed log fires this along with the huge log beams and comfortable sofas makes the property very cosy and makes you feel at home. The best thing about this hotel which we noted were the staff, they have a brilliant team at this hotel and everything runs like clockwork, we stayed DBB at this hotel and it was well worth it, the food is gorgeous and well worth paying that little extra for dinner as what you get back for it is great value for money. The only thing that we would say about this hotel it the location to some people may not be ideal, the hotel is not in the most ideal location it is literally just off the motorway, (ideal for business meeting there are quite a few that take place at the hotel) not picturesque and the views well there arent really any however we did not mind as it is a central location to everything you need Carlisle Castle half an hour and the high road which runs over the fells all the way round ullswater and to windermere starts literally across the way (beautiful drive with lots to do on the way) we thought was ideal. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone. Its the little things that make this hotel superb complimentary pint of milk in your room, and huge mugs for your tea and coffee instead of cheap little ones, they seem to go that little bit extra with everything and it definately shows, we will definately be returning to this hotel

• Liked — Internal Decor an staff
  • Disliked — Views
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank rayray24
Notts UK
Reviewed October 15, 2007

My husband and I had our reception here after getting married at Gretna Green and I must say the staff made a real effort. They prepared a small room just right for our wedding party and decorated it impeccably. The food was absolutely glorious. The hotel is very high class and attractive- it didn't matter that it was close to the motorway in fact it was good in that it was easier to find for ourselves and our guests. The room was gorgeous and luxurious. I had my makeup done in the spa and they made a wonderful job and made me feel very special. The pool is calming though small. The breakfast was also a hit! I would say perfect for those who want to stay in a lovely environment and/or visit local attractions.

• Liked — The luxury
  • Disliked — Leaving!
  • Stayed August 2007
Sunderland UK
Reviewed June 13, 2007

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for one night as a birthday treat. I love health spas and have been to a few different ones - although as they can be pricey it is a once or twice yearly treat! So something I really look forward to.
Something that wasn't mentioned when I booked this hotel was how near it is to the A66 - literally just off the roundabout! So my illusions of relaxing in peaceful surroundings was shattered straight away. Although it is surrounded by trees which seemed to hide the road, and luckily our room didn't overlook the road direct. The hotel was clean with pleasant staff who were there to help at all times - our room was very hot and on ringing reception to discuss the discomfort within 5 minutes we had someone knocking on our door with a fan, which was impressive. The "SPA" leaves alot to be desired, could not fault the treatments or the relaxation room as they were both upstairs and provided a very calming atmosphere. However be warned the swimming pool (which is not as big as the photo makes out) the saunas, whirlpool and fitness suite are all open to children staying within the hotel, as well as whinging babies - something you don't want in a spa, as well as being open to the surrounding residents who come in for fitness classes in the very loud music studio. The pool area and steam room have just been refurbished which does look nice but the changing areas could do with been refurbished as the only private changing cubicle is in the disabled toilet where you have to make sure you lock both doors into the toilet in order to prevent someone walking in on you. My other problem with the "SPA" is that the lounge area has a plasma screen in which provides any sporting matches for those men that wish to escape their partners/families as when we walked in here was half a dozen men watching cricket - why is there a tv in a health spa? To me it should be an area of peace and relaxation.
Apart from that the food in the hotel was lovely and we could not fault the cleanliness in and around the hotel and the helpful attitude of staff. Stay here if you just want a hotel but go elsewhere if you are looking for a relaxing spa as this isn't one.

• Liked — The lovely food and service
  • Disliked — The Spa
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cur1yJen
England
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Spent two nights in April at this hotel would stay again had a lifesaving back massage which was excellent would recommend. The room was big and could not fault it in any way bathroom was also great had shower and bath was was lovely but on the last day we had no hot water not sure why this was didn't bother us as was checking out that day. Swimming pool was also very good. Did not eat at the hotel as was £25.00 each for two courses and you can eat very nice food in Penrith a lot cheaper. You can walk to Penrith town centre it takes about 15 minutes. Drinks at the hotel seem very expensive I had large glass of white wine and my partner had a pint of larger this came to £11.00 maybe if you have other drinks it is cheaper. The hotel is non smoking but you can smoke outside the hotel if you want. We had breakfast included in our deal but if you did not I believe it was £16.00 per person which seemed expensive. Pubs in the area I would recommend include Last Orders & The Woolpack
Service very good from staff and you had wireless internet access which was very useful to me.

• Liked — Internet access & room
  • Disliked — Cost of drinks & food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,365 reviews
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pooley Bridge

Been to North Lakes Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!