“We only ate here! Basil fawlty!”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
“We only ate here! Basil fawlty!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were travelling home from Coventry to bathgate and decided to stop off in Penrith. We drove around until we found what we thought looked a nice place to eat.
The menu displayed outside looked lovely.
Upon entry we were informed the restaurant was fully booked, however, we were welcome to eat at the bar or lounge area. We chose the lounge but asked if we could order the spinach & mushroom cannelloni with a pecan and beetroot salad from the restaurant menu? The manager asked the chef and this was fine.
My husband ordered the chicken balti from the bar menu to be told 10 mins later there was none left!
I ordered a pint of cola and was given a smaller glass at a charge of £3!!! Only 10p cheaper than a pint of their beer!
My cannelloni arrived and was a lump of pasta with a block of grated cheddar on the top, and a side salad of cheap lettuce, ready made coleslaw and a pile of tomato! And this would come at a cost of £14.95!!!!!!!!
We called the waitress who said oh I'm sorry that's lasagne we have served you and disappeared into the kitchen to appear 30 seconds later to say actually that is cannelloni we will change the salad for you!!!! Erm no thanks keep your cheap pub grub!
We also heard someone come out of the kitchen pulling the manager aside telling him to come now..there was something wrong with the chicken ( mind ticks...)
My husband had a burger which was completely fine but we are still dumbfounded by what I was served. This all happened beside the reception desk under the eye of the manager and not once did he offer any apology or interject during discussions, until our card was in the machine.....at this point he said I'm sorry! Not even an offer of our drinks paid etc....
Never again, I visited the pizza parlour over the road and ate in the car, maybe they could get some tips from there!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Launev
georgehotelpenrith, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Visitor

Thank you for commenting on the menu we are very proud of the content and have had many great reviews with it.

I am sorry that your cannelloni was not up to standard but I do assure you that it is not the usual standard. I am however glad that your husband enjoyed his meal.

I would have been more than happy to speak to you on the night however I was dealing with one of our very popular Murder Mystery evenings in the Ballroom and not sat behind the reception! The person you refer to is the receptionist Rafael not myself the manager.

You will find that the days of soft drinks being much cheaper than alcoholic beverages a bygone era in any establishment.

I take exception that you would even give a comparison to the George in reference to the Pizza Parlor but they are a local trader so I will say no more.

Justin Wales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Sunderland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Recent midweek break at George hotel was in general a delightful experience. The refurbished rooms were stylish and comfortable and the general ambience of the hotel is excellent. The staff were pleasant and the food was of a decent standard. Our experience was let down somewhat however by an unheated bathroom. Overall however well worth a repeat visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Having been before and enjoyed the relaxed style of the lounge at the entrance to the George, my wife and I called recently for a light lunch. Again the feel of the place was good, well spaced tables with comfortable chairs and good service by pleasant staff.
Unfortunately the food was very disappointing. My club sandwich was dry and quite tasteless while the filling in my wife's BLT only covered the small portion of the bread that could be seen on the cut side of the sandwich. About two thirds of it was not eaten and left on the plate because it was so dry, didn't even have any butter on it. We had ordered a bowl of chips between us, they were greasy, soggy and basically horrible.
Over all, a very disappointing dining experience in a rather nice old fashioned hotel lounge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tuchenclut
georgehotelpenrith, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to review our Lounges at the George Hotel. However I would have preferred you to take the issues up with us directly so we could have had a fighting chance to rectify your issues.

We serve many thousands of guests per month and they are happy with their experience. We always encourage feedback and even supply a customer questionnaire so we can identify and constantly improve our offerings.

I can see from your other reviews in April that it has not been a good dining month for you! I can assure you that it is not the usual standard at the George and we would have endeavoured to rectify the issues that you had, if mentioned.

Kind Regards

Justin Wales
Liverpool
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I plus son & girlfriend and 2 friends spent the most wonderful Easter weekend at the George Hotel celebrating my husbands birthday.
The George is the most comfortable, friendly, elegant without being 'stuffy' hotel I have ever stayed in! I could not fault the anything, the club bedroom, the lounge, the facilities, the restaurant and most of all the welcoming, friendly staff made our weekend the best ever. I dont want to rave too much, we dont want to struggle getting a room when we return, which we will as soon as we possibly can! PS. the Bed's are amazingly comfortable.
The location is superb, directly on the high street in Penrith, a lovely quaint town, ideally placed to wander around the winding streets, shops etc. Our group ranged in age from 24 yrs to 60 yrs and we all enjoyed Penrith and the George equally.

Room Tip: Well worth paying for upgrade club room which we did, the rest of our party didnt upgrade but standa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Gretna Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Along with about 30 fellow members of the Scottish Women's Rural Institute, I went there for a meal today. It was excellent. All the food was served quickly and was plentiful and beautifully cooked. I had Chicken breast, with mushroom sauce, and it was served with potatoes, courgettes, swede and carrots. As I don't eat desserts, I had a very nice selection of cheese and biscuits, but others in the group were raving about their Eton Mess and also the Sticky Toffee Pudding. Finished off with a cup of coffee, it was a very pleasant meal, eaten in beautiful surroundings.

Room Tip: Since I have not stayed there, but the food is very good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
dorking
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Lovely staff and super food, nice to have free car park and easy access to lots of Lake district attractions. Only possible carp would be the overheating of some of the lounge areas but rooms were OK. No lift but staff are only too happy to carry up your cases to room. Would revisit when in area again.

Room Tip: Front rooms are a bit traffic noisy and upper floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently stayed in the George Hotel for one night. We had booked two rooms and got a good deal by paying up front. I cannot fault the hotel.
The hotel is in the middle of Penrith.
Instructions to get to the car park (which could have been difficult) were very clear.
The young man on reception could not have been more welcoming and helpful.
The rooms were excellent. They have been refurbished to a very high standard, and the style is in keeping with the historic nature of the building itself.
Service in the bar and restaurant was excellent, and the breakfast was good quality.
The only reason that I have not given this a score of 5 is that if I may not have been willing to pay the full price, as opposed to the managers 'special' that we paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,029 reviews
Edenhall Country House Hotel

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!