“Fantastic views and small sample of working farm life.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penrith
Gill Head Farm Self catering Holidays
Ranked #11 of 23 Specialty Lodging in Penrith
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife and 2 daughters arrived on a rainy Thursday evening and received a warm welcome at reception. Asking to stay for 3 nights we were told to find a pitch and then just let them know where we were which is much better than being told where to go and what to do. Services on site are more than adequate for camping needs and the social area in caravan field with cooking/fridge facilities is a good idea that many other campsites could learn from. To go to sleep listening to sheep rather than counting them is a concept that takes about.......1/2 hr to get used to and the views in the morning when you put the kettle on are priceless. Overall value for money and location make this a perfect place to stay if you are in Cumbria and looking for a small slice of proper camping. Well done Gill head.

• Stayed: July 2013
Amanda S, Owner at Gill Head Farm Self catering Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Many thanks for taking time to write a review, as a family run farm we all work hard to provide a great place to stay and all feedback is welcomed. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I and our two dogs camped here one night mid July 2013. We arrived (mid week) about 3pm without booking and didn't have a problem - there were possibly half a dozen other tents. We did look at the 'hidden field' (as suggested on Cool Camping) and it was a fantastic isolated location - but no views. In contrast, the views on the main site were absolutely stunning - best I've ever had camping. There was only one farm house in the distance and nothing else. Fantastic. There is the A66 about half a mile away, so you can hear a little rumbling in the background, but nothing too bad. We paid £18 for one night, which is perhaps slightly on the more expensive end.

We were told to pitch where we wanted which is always nice. There's a little shop on site that sells bread and bits, and the Troutbeck Inn a few minutes away, but apart from that, you need to go to Penrith or Keswick for anything. Breakfast baps can be ordered in the evening but we didn't do so. (Enquiry desk only open until 7pm so we missed getting our order in).

The facilities were adequate. I have seen a few reviews that say spotless. They are definitely not. The actual toilets and sinks etc are clean, there's a couple of showers. The block itself could do with a little bit of TLC. It's a bit dusty, full of cobwebs and mis match funiture. But it is completely adequate for camping. There is a pot wash area but no freezer for ice packs. There are a couple of water taps dotted about the place.

In summary, adequate facilities but once you get there and see the location and the view, you won't care less what the showers are like!

Room Tip: Ask to see the hidden field. You'll have it all to yourself but you will sacrifice the views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Owner at Gill Head Farm Self catering Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Many Thanks for submitting your review and for both your lovely and helpful comments.
As you were here only one night I would like to clarify a few points for future customers if I may as perhaps we did not explain our site facilites to you very well , I am so sorry you feel the shower facilities were not up to scratch, they are cleaned twice daily , repainted each year and we just renovated the ladies this winter. There are actually twelve showers on site in total. two washng up areas and we have a log cabin on site with kettles,microwaves, TV area and under cover dining, and in here there is 24hr access to a freezer . We do regulary check our rates and feel we are competetively priced with those in our area. We will make sure that future customers are better inormed of what's where on site and will tackle those cobwebs we've missed.....Many Thanks.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I travelled for a weekend of camping during mid June. We usually camp in Keswick but though we would have a change of scenery. We loved the campsite. The shop was well stocked and there were only us and 3 other tents in the field (probably due to the torrential rain).
A good base to explore ullswater and Keswick; we visited the nearest pub, The Sportman which was excellent. We drive but it would probably be a 30-40 minute walk from the site. The take always are definitely recommended.
Toilets and shower rooms are spotless, for kids there was a huge play area.
Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Gypsy Wagon. Initially a bit reluctant but it was fabulous! Had a fantastic time. The shower cubicles were great - hot running water, clean and warm. Staff very friendly. You get free fresh breakfast rolls when staying in the gypsy wagon with Cumberland sausage, bacon and fresh eggs - it was delicious - plus a great cup of tea or coffee. Couldn't have asked for a more comfortable stay it was perfect would recommend to anyone looking for a chilled out cosy weekend in the Lakes! We took a stroll to the Troutbeck Inn a short 10 minutes walk away and that was every bit as wonderful as the Gypsy Wagon. Hope to be back soon!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda S, Owner at Gill Head Farm Self catering Holidays, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Many Thanks for your review, so pleased you enjoyed your stay...wethink the Gypsy wagon has something special about it too !
Hope to see you at Gill Head again.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Fantastic location, easy to find and extremely helpful owners. We arrived during April snow to the pods that were nicely warmed up with the heater provided. Amanda was very helpful providing an extra futon mattress as we are a family od five. Our boys were able to play football in the field opposite as there were no campers present. Showers and toilets were clean, water is warm but needs to be run for a while (mind you it was -2 outside). Thank you for a great break!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Many Thanks for your comments .... the water tanks are warming up a little now spring is finaly getting a grip ..lol :)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I've been coming to Gill Head Farm for many years now and it has always been fantastic for me. Facilities are excellent, showers are clean, everyone is friendly and in a stunning location. The camping pods we stay in are warm and snug with electricity and a heater. Brilliant for a weekend getaway. Free WiFi access, shop on site for all those last minute essentials. Gill Head Farm is brilliant for couples, groups, a family get together. Being on a farm, you get to see the working life of farmers and a part of it. Short driving distance to the major local towns, Keswick and Penrith. Short drive from the lovely Ullswater with its brilliant views and activities!
Gill Head Farm is well worth a visit for either a short weekend, or a week away. Perfect for families, couples and groups of friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

In June I booked 2 nights B&B with evening meal for September, I sent a deposit and asked for a receipt and directions to get to Gill Head.A couple of weeks later having had no reply I phoned to ask for them again and later phoned for a thrid time but got no response. Whilst on the phone I asked what time the evening meal was served and was surprised to hear that it would left out for us to reheat in a microwave whenever we wanted. This was never mentioned when I originally booked or I would have booked elsewhere.
On arrival, as there was no reply at the house, I rang the bell at the shop and was greeted by a very rude and abrupt woman who let us in and just pointed where everything was and left us to it.
I had mentioned to her that we had difficulty finding it as we had no directions and she just said, 'Did you expect directions?' I was very upset at the way we were treated and if it hadn't been for the fact that I had paid a deposit we would have walked out. When we came down to the kitchen our meal had just been left out on the side with no instructions as to how long to re-heat it. I think there is a Health & Safety issue there which needs addressing. The woman came into the lounge later, threw a couple of logs on the fire and walked out without speaking which again I thought was very rude.
The following morning we were served breakfast by Mrs Steele herself and she was pleasant and the breakfast well prepared. We had a meal at the local pub on the second night and I intended to tell Mrs Steele about the way we had been treated on arrival but as the house was full that morning and she was busy serving breakfasts I didn't get the chance. I may be old fashioned but I think that anyone involved in the running of a B&B should be pleasant & welcoming and not downright rude as the woman was who we met on arrival and also my request for a receipt and directions should have been acknowledged especially after three phone calls. Altogether a very disappointing time spent at Gill Head.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple