“Nice enough place”

No 15 Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have eaten up and down the country from Michelin star restaurants to small road side cafes. My friend had recommended No 15 to me.

My first impressions were that of entering a very pleasant cafe with a nice atmosphere. There was no distinct welcome or feeling of warmth from the staff when entering (although the person who directed me to a table was polite). Having worked in the catering business for years a warm welcome is one of the main ingredients that can make a place stand out.

My order was taken promptly but again without any particular warmth or a smile from the person serving me. Having said that I noticed that when serving the table opposite me the waitress was very warm (it may have just been a one off). I ordered the Sweet Potato and Harissa Soup with a half shot Vanilla Latte.

This is the part where I was disappointed. The Latte was nicely served but had far to much Vanilla in it (to the point of being sickly). I had to ask for a jug of hot milk which was very politely and swiftly provided. The coffee would have been super otherwise.

The soup was served in a large bowl with a large serving of freshly baked seeded bread and butter. I have to confess that the soup was a real disappointment. It was quite underwhelming. All the ingredients seemed fresh but it really lacked depth of flavour - something for No 15 to work on if serving that soup again.

The menu looks lovely and my friend raved about the Cumbrian Rarebit when he visited No 15 with his family. Overall this is a really nice place that I would recommend with a couple of things for the Cafe to work on.

There are newer reviews for No 15 Cafe

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Four days in Penrith and I wish I had found this place first! Even the porridge is made fresh for each person and they have soy milk on the menu. Fresh breakfast, friendly service and the baked goods are quite yummy! Went back for lunch, the three bean soup fit nicely into my vegetarian needs. Did I mention the coffee? Very good and strong.The was important being from the Seattle Washington area and I was pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My family met my Brother, Wife and Dad there for lunch. It wasnt too busy on arrival at 12pm. We had a light lunch mostly soups which were great lovely home made soups. The only thing was 3 ordered tomato and basil and they came back to say there was only enough for 2 bowls. It was the start of lunch and we couldn't understand why they had run out but one was happy to change to the other option so didn't make a fuss. My boys has some millionaire shortbread after which they thought was lovely. The cake selection looked very nice. Around 12.30ish alot of Mums and babies came in I guess it is the local Mums and tots hangout. Overall it was a nice little place. I would go again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

How is this 47 of 115 restaurants in Penrith? - it is far better than that. Great welcoming engaged staff, imaginative tasty food, a vibrant welcoming cafe.
We visited for lunch and had the Turkish Salad and Frittatta - superb!
Get a sister retaurant in Carlisle please!!!!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visit here regular and never been disappointed, staff always friendly and service very good, lovely homemade food. Could not complain about anything. The turkish salad and lamb koftas are amazing and great portions for a good appetite. Good choice of coffees and wine also.