“Excellent”
Review of Acorn Guest House

Acorn Guest House
Ranked #19 of 66 Penrith B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I've just stayed here as I had to attend a funeral in Penrith, the rooms are a good size and spotless. Nothing was too much trouble, parking right outside, tea, coffee tv, on-suite large spotless bathroom. It's right on the coast to coast route as well. Can't thank the owners (Joyce and family) for the sensitivity they showed me during my stay. I am happy to,recommend this b&b to anyone,it really would be hard to beat !

Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Needed a stopover on the way back from a family wedding in Scotland and were lucky enough to be directed to The Acorn by a local publican.
Really clean and comfortable room in a lovely town. Anita and Joyce are really welcoming and friendly but the star of the show was the breakfast! Fresh, quality ingrediants served with as much tea/coffee/orange juice and toast as you wanted.

Would highly recommend and will definately return in the future

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I've been here five times now. Each time staying a week, so I've spent five weeks of my life in the Acorn. It's wonderful! My main reason for staying was for a quite place to write so I spent nearly all the time in the room and going out to eat - so my opinion's well sourced.

There are many places nearby to eat and the entire town has a relaxing atmosphere compared to London. A wonderful place to get some writing done. Even the lighting levels in the hallway seem to be relaxing.

You may start to see tiny things that could be better if you spend as long there as I have done... The bathroom door handle was a little broken I think, and the cups in the room could be a little bigger, but that's nothing on the scheme of things!

Anita and Joyce will help with anything, nothing is to big or small, and the breakfast is perfect! Always tastes better when somebody else cooks it, doesn't it? When I was there the eggs were locally sourced and free range/organic, yummy! We don't get that in London...

Comfortable bed, classic tea in the rooms, information pack about the town, and enough floor space for a little exercise for those who have the urge. Great place.

Room Tip: The front side is louder but has a brilliant view of... They're called Fells, apparently.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were a party of 10 cyclists on C2C arriving late on 6th July for an overnight stop. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome and comfortable by the lovely family running the B&B. It was spotlessly clean, warm and professionaly operated. We were allocated space inside the house to store our 10 bikes overnight which was much appreciated as we had some very expensive kit with us.
Rooms were clean warm and spacious. Breakfast was excellant and prepared by the family more than willing to feed hungary cyclists for their onward journey, our was to Stanhope.
The overwhelming consesus was - and excellant choice by our Jackie who made the booking.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan D
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Cycling the C2C with a group of 18 over the Jubilee Weekend, we virtually took over Acorn. Great experience from check in to departure. Rooms were clean, tastefully decorated & very comfortable. Our hosts recommended a restaurant in town which was able to cater for our entire party (19 of us in total) - The Lounge - good food where quite a few places were not serving food that evening.

After a good nights sleep we had a nice big breakfast (proper Cumberland Sausuage), with plenty of choice (including porridge) & free flowing tea / coffee.

For C2C riders the Acorn can provide secure bike storage and is right on the route (5 yards from road) so no need for a couple of extra miles after a long days riding.

I would highly recommend the Acorn whether cycling C2C or not.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Our group of 16 took over Acorn as part of charity C2C ride. From check in to departure we could not have faulted any part of the stay. Rooms were clean, tastefully decorated & very comfortable. Our hosts were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. Anita recommended a restaurant in town which was able to cater for our entire party (19 of us in total) - The Lounge - which was great as many places were not serving food that evening. After a great nights sleep we had a wonderful breakfast with plenty of choice (including porridge for the cyclists!) & free flowing tea & coffee.
For C2C riders the Acorn can provide secure bike storage and is right on the route so no need for a couple of extra miles after a long days riding.
I would highly recommend the Acorn whether cycling C2C or not and would urge you to ignore the one bad review someone has posted here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2012

It's been a long time since I stayed in guest houses or B&Bs and the Acorn re-affirmed my faith in British hospitality.
Anita (?) and her staff made us 14 C2Cers incl. WAGs and children very happy and welcome and somehow managed to fit in 8 bikes too.
Great breakfasts too ;-)
only minor let down was that the hot water ran out after a couple of us had baths

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends