“Winter Wonderland”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Penrith
Center Parcs Whinfell Forest
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Have just returned from a four day break in a fabulous lodge enjoying the Christmas build up. Santa and his elves were there and the atmosphere was amazing for our young family. Everyone very pleasant and the lodge was kept lovely and clean. There was five adults and two children, we had lots of room, plenty of places to eat. The resteraunts all catered for children. Quite expensive but the food was good and plenty of it. We ate in Hucks steakhouse and Pancake house. Both excellent. We used the takeaway which was able to provide Indian, Chinese and Italian. We went to the Back to the Movies show, which was very good and some of our party went to the Panto which although cheesy was also very good.
The site was almost fully booked but we had no problems with any of the facilities (I would definitely book where you would like to eat in advance though to be sure).
Lots of wildlife and lovely setting.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

yes we had a fabulous time, can't wait to book next year. Pony ride to see Santa was lovely, girls running it, especially the organiser very pleasant. Snowflake greeting children for santa what a lovely person, loved the outfit ... spa staff fab, especially lady who did my hand treatment been at Center parcs 6 years from Ireland, well worth the money. But the lady front of house at the Pancake house, rude, abrupt, should not work with the general public, problem with the door and being shouted at to hurry up and close it! Really any need? To putting us on a small table while letting others sit in a booth with just 2 people, then asking if we could move to bigger table being told I will see go and sit down! How rude.... but the staff cooking the food what a breath of fresh air especially the lady from Portugal who makes the pancakes, delightful lady only to happy to tell us how she makes pancakes my little boy loved watching.

Will book next year as fireworks were great, staff fantastic but sort the lady at the Pancake house out it really spoilt our visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank janet s
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Me and my 3 year old daughter have just returned from our first visit ever to center Parcs and within hours of being home have booked again for the same time next year. I cannot believe I've been missing out on this place. The winter wonderland was a truly magical experience and both me and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience including the visit to Santa and the Pony ride to see him-both excellent value for money. The grotto was so authentic and their was so much attention to detail. The fireworks display was fantastic and lots of money must a have been spent on this. Their was a great build up with a DJ and Xmas music being played and a great countdown. The fireworks were set to music and ended with a stunning finale over the lake. It gets busy all of a sudden though so get their a bit early and bag a great spot! The Subtropical pool was absolutely brilliant! Nice and warm and absolutely massive with so many different areas to explore. One evening we were their for 4 hours! The facilities are great- free bouency vests for the kids, hot showers with complimentary body/hair wash and clean changing rooms with lovely heated floors. The lockers are free and work with your wrist band which also operates your accommodation door. We stayed in a executive lakeside Apartment which was amazing value for money and ideally located, central to everything and the decor etc was to a high standard and very clean. We did a couple of the nature activities in the rangers lodge and in my opinion they were great value for money. The ranger was great and it was a very informative hands on session that my 3 year old loved. She got to hold lots of birds/animals etc and we got some great photos. The groups are small and never over booked which means a very intimate hands on experience. We didn't really eat out as it was just me and a small child but I checked out the menus and they all seemed fairly reasonable and when I come again next year with my parents I would have no issue eating out and intend to try out the cavery at there lakeside Inn. I did go in for a drink there and it was a lovely cosy environment with a free kids soft play area which allowed me a bit of quiet time! I also shopped at the Parc Market and genuinely don't think its any more expensive then a local CO-OP. Center Parcs is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be with the choice to eat out or utilise the self catering facility by bringing food and drink with you which is what I did on this occasion. I also have to mention Timothy one of the security guys who went above and beyond the call of duty helping me and my daughter get checked into our accommodation. All the staff were friendly, helpful and professional. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this place and cannot wait to go back next December. Next time I'm staying in a lodge with my parents and Daughter and picked the exact one! . I'm coming back here for years to come!!!!!

Room Tip: Get their early on your first day. Leave your car in the car park and go explore! Get your bearings...
1  Thank heather s
Sharon_Center_Parcs, Guest Services Executive at Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

I am delighted to read that you and your daughter enjoyed your first visit to Center Parcs and would like to thank you for sharing your constructive comment son your stay.

Our Winter Wonderland celebrations are certainly a good way to start the Christmas season and I am pleased to see that you have already booked a visit at the same time next year.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Sharon Press
Guest Services Executive

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have visited Whinfell Forest for four years now at the same time and have never been disappointed. We're booking now for next year.
The lodges are clean and spacious. The staff are always kind and helpful. I would recommend this holiday to everyone, old or young.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This was our second visit to Whinfell forest this year. We had a fab holiday, the winter wonderland was magical and beautifully decorated, the reindeers, the fairy toadstools and the snow were lovely touches, i would recommend visiting late afternoon when it is beginning to get dark for full effect. Santa and his elfs were very friendly and the visit was not rushed in the slightest, boys got individual pictures and pictures together with Santa. I also got to take some pictures with my own camera. Both boys really enjoyed the short pony ride to Santa. When booking these activities I felt it was rather expensive, however once there I soon changed my mind, I feel it was well worth the money and will be returning next year for a pre Christmas break. Other activities the boys enjoyed were the hour elf party and the mini jet skis. The Santa and snowman hunt where a great idea however I feel the clues were too far spread out for little ones, my 3 year olds quickly lost interest and were crying because they were cold and tired.

My tips would be

1. Take your own food, as its so much cheaper and tastes a million times better (Avoid eatting in the Lakeside Inn expensive and its just about edible)

2. If possible take your own bikes we paid £46 for 2 toddlers bikes and helmets such a waste of money!! Also they need to be back in the hire shop by 10am on the Friday morning the same time you depart your lodge which is a bit of a headache!! ( we got them at 5pm on the Monday but it was too dark and still to busy with cars coming and going for the kids to use them!! so we used them on the Tues and Weds and the Thurs the weather was awful so couldnt use them!! on the Friday morning they were due back at 10am, such a nightmare as 1 person is trying to take the car to the main car park and another is trying to guide 2 toddlers on bikes back to the hire shop in amongst traffic heading the same direction!!)

3. Take your own beach towels for swimming (The swimming pool is great and was lovely and warm on the tues, wed and Thurs when we used it however on the Friday we all found the pool and the changing rooms where alot colder compared with previous days. Could be wrong but our thinking was they may intentionally not heat the pool as much on the Friday so people wont stay as long, as everyone tends to head there all the people who are departing and all the people who are arriving which means you can't get moving in the children's pool.)

4. Pre book activities in advance as some things fill up and you end up missing out we missed the story telling and the panto!! :-(

5. Take bird seed and nuts to feed the wildlife and sprinkle them on the patio lovely to watch squirrels and birds so close

6. For a cosy night inn get firelogs, candles, dvds and wine!!

Looking forward to returning in 2014!!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Fantastic family holiday, I could not fault anything, the winter wonderland was great, the grandchildren were amazed with it,swimming pools were very good, shops and eating areas were good, the whole family had a fantastic time and would certainly book again.

Room Tip: we were in 78 and 79 Moorlands View it is on the outer area and was very quiet.
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week long stay. I went with a friend and her family and was taken back by how modern, clean and fresh the cabins are!
The pool is pretty decent, although I did hurt myself on one of the slides, something sharp cut my arm. Wouldn't let a small child go on it either because it was difficult catching my breath!
The Christmassy theme was lovely.
Food was okay. Few complaints but they were dealt with professionally and very efficiently so no problems there!
Tree trekking is a MUST DO! -So much fun! Definitely want to return here at some point in the future.

I would recommend this place, absolutely!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank qwertyyuppie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
#1 of 2 in Appleby-in-Westmorland

Been to Center Parcs Whinfell Forest? Share your experiences!