“How did I forget the Brantwood”

Brantwood Country Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Penrith
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Staying in Howtown and we couln't think where to go for our evening meal when i remembered the Brantwood, booked in and had another great meal with my friends, nice meal nice staff and nice atmosphere all added up to a great night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stopped here on the way back from Penrith to Northumberland on 5th May 2013. Absolutely loved the location and the service. I sat in the conservatory which was light and sunny; good selection of drinks and snacks on offer. Staff were friendly, polite and went out of their way to help me. Plenty of parking space in the car park at the back of the hotel; not to mention lovely views. I can't wait to come here again when I'm in the area!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night. The staff were very friendly and helpfull and the room was clean and well furbished. Bathroom was also clean. The food however was a bit dated in style and presentation. I had fishcakes which I think were home made but were in the 1950's style where they are coated in Ruskolene type bread crumbs, then the Steak.......It was probably the toughest medium rare steak I have had ever .... but it had fantastic flavour!! I really don't know how they managed that. The breakfast was fine. Not fantastic but nothing to complain about. Compared to hotels in nearby Penrith and Keswick it was the best value on the day.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband for a weekend in the lakes and was not disappointed. The hotel rooms were spacious, comfortable and peaceful. Despite the room decor being quite tired they were immaculately clean and also cleaned on a daily basis so we were happy. Breakfast had everything we could want on the menu and was of a good size to set us up for the day. We spent the afternoon relaxing by the fire and reading papers, the owner and staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. We ate at the hotel both nights because the first night was so delicious. Followed the recommendations to have the ribs and I was not disappointed - they are brilliant and highly highly recommended, my husband had the roast duck which was giant but equally as delicious. Pudding list was endless and all homemade which was great because my husband has a real sweet tooth - highly recommend the toffee cheesecake!! Would definitely come back here don't pay attention to the negative comments as overall a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Brantwood Hotel and have to say how much we enjoyed our stay. We were on our way North to Scotland from Kent and used it as a stop over. On arrival we were shown to our room and were pleased with the room provided, although the owner did tell us that we were in an old style room but they do have three recently refurbished rooms. However it was very comfortable. Our evening meal was lovely. The menu is very varied and all the staff were very friiendly. There were a lot of locals eating there as well which to me is always a good sign. We had a most enjoyable evening, finishing our night with coffee in the conservatory. After a good nights sleep we paid our bill promising to return very soon. Cant wait for our next trip to Scotland as I know where we will be stopping.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have no idea who has been writing the reviews for this so called hotel but sufficient to say this is the first time that i have ever felt it necessary to write a review to put the record straight. My partner and i were unfortunate to have the displeasure of staying in room 1 of this hotel recently. After a 200 mile journey we were met by a receptionist who couldn't be less interested and welcoming if she had tried. We were almost tossed the key to room 1 and told breakfast was between 8 and 9 the next morning. Not much flexibility on those times then! We then entered room 1 to find dirty walls, artexed over in places, and a glass door to the toilet (?) with a net curtain supported by drawing pins covering it. The view from the window was lovely..several empty beer kegs and wheelie bins. Outside was a creeky stairwell which warned you of every on-coming fellow customer...all night !! The whole scene and decor was something similar to a 1970's bed-sit. None of the lamps or lights apart from the main light actually worked. The shower had wallpaper hanging off (wallpaper in a shower??!) and the water pressure was all over the place. Breakfast was average at best...took about ten minutes for the not so friendly waitress to even attend to us. Also forgot to mention that to escape this atrocity we went to Penrith for the evening and on our return couldnt even park in the car park as for some unknown reason this place was buy on the night ! A massive waste of £80 and wouldn't go near this place again. Very, very grotty, very dated and very disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 1 like the plague!
Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Disappoint_13
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great location, excellent service and couldn't fault the food. The room however is a different story. We stayed in room 2. Very dated, peeling paintwork. Missing tiles in the bathroom along with unhygenic carpet. Light fitting above mirror held together with tape. Luckily we were only staying the one night. Sorely in need of an update.

BUT if you are in the area then please stop by for a meal. The food is plentiful, tasty and well priced. The home made Lemon pie is scrummy.

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penrith
Premier Inn Penrith Hotel
Travelodge Penrith
#9 of 11 in Penrith
Roundthorn Country House
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater

Been to Brantwood Country Hotel? Share your experiences!