“Not a good lunch”

Ranked #28 of 139 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 3, 2014

A wonderful hotel with some of the most dramatic views you could imagine but for me that was the best of it.
Service was slow and my braised Beef was served burnt, I feel the chef tries a bit too hard, the carrots tasted like they had been cooked with star of anise and the small dollop of mash was strong on the mustard, too many flavours going on here, if the food was kept a bit more simple it could have been so much better, The other members of my party were on the whole happy with their food but still very underwhelming.
I hope this was a one off as most of the other reviews are very good.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant at Lyzzick Hall

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Oh wow! This "3 course" menu (was actually 5 courses with dessert and cheese board!) was out of this world. The tastiest duck starter, and best ever fillet of beef for me and red deer for "him" - to celebrate Valentines weekend. Total taste! Fantastic service from great friendly staff, in a relaxed and comfortable restaurant. We were also lucky enough to stay at the hotel which I've rated separately. Will definitely love to eat here again.

1  Thank SLJ69
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Our friends booked a meal here last Friday evening, for the 4 of us. I had a quick look at the website, and online sample menu, as well as trip advisor replies.
We had booked for 8.00 and arrived a few minutes early, and were shown into the lounge, which had a lovely log fire roaring. Waiter took our drinks order, and brought us the menus. It took us a while to pick the meals as they all sounded so lovely. Then taken into the dining room, which was fuller than we expected, around 50 people having their meals.
Tables were laid out lovely, and the waiting staff very professional. I won't go into much detail of what we we all had, but what we did, was exquisite, beautifully presented, and just the right amount for each course.
We were not rushed either, a leasurly evening , eventually having our coffee back in the lounge at 10.15 pm.
However, it was not perfect, nothing ever is. The only "issues" I could find were
The only lager they sold, was San Miguel, the bread with the meal was a little dry, and they had run out of rice pudding for my friend....
I think the negative comments made by some people, they must have visited another restaurant.
I would love to visit in the summer to enjoy the wonderful views.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

First time at Lyzzick - we will return
Lovely Lunch, just a little disappointing when we arrived as bar man was flustered and it seemed like an effort to serve us, also felt menus were thrust upon us as he flew past announcing the soup of the day. We almost left, because at this stage we were the only guests, no open fire on a dreadfully windy cold day and a drafty seat at the bar.
I am so glad we persevered, by 12.45 the restaurant was full
The restaurant was stunning with lovely views, on a sunny day I would possibly have difficulty concentrating on the food! A window table is a must.
We selected from a mouthwatering menu. I had red wine poached pear, with colston bassett silton and honey walnut (yum delicious) followed by Carmelized roulade belly pork, and Christmas pudding with rum sauce and christmas pudding ice cream, my friend had smoked duck and haggis turine followed by Hake and same pud, coffee and mince pies in the lounge.
Restaurant staff were happy and attentive
The waiter who brought our coffee (tall gentleman did not get his name) was excellent when he brought mince pies my friend said she did not eat pastry and in the blink of an eye he was back with some homemade chocolates, this makes the day, coffee refills were offered several times.
We found the lounge with roaring fire, very hard to go home, thank you Lyzzick Hall for a delicious lunch.
Cost for Lunch including coffee £24.95 pp very good value

1  Thank Lottie457
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Although I stay at the hotel at various times throughout the year, it is always a treat for us to go for Christmas lunch, being a great excuse to go and see the beautiful Christmas tree in the hall that goes right up into the atrium. I had the traditional Christmas lunch and it was delicious; lovely turkey with all the accompaniments followed by a particularly delicious Christmas pudding. My friend had the hake followed by egg custard tart with nutmeg ice cream (of which I had a small taste) and said that all his meal was equally delicious. The service, as ever, was brilliant even though they were extremely busy and we weren't at all rushed, but neither were we kept waiting too long. It was lovely to sit in front of the roaring log fire as we perused the menu and to go back there for our post luncheon coffee and mince pie.
Thanks, Lyzzick Hall, for another wonderful meal.