“Excellent Value”

Ranked #8 of 139 Restaurants in Keswick
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful food and great value - 3 courses with coffee £17.95 on Sunday. Had a lovely intimate meal and the staff were very attentive. The quality was of high standard and well presented. Definitely recommend for michelin style food at affordable price.

2  Thank angieandjonny
There are newer reviews for Morrels Restaurant

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great food. Good service. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Enough like fine dining to make it a special treat but far from stuffy. Popular so be sure to book.

2  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Having read all the wonderful reviews on this restaurant, we thought it sounded like the best place to eat in Keswick - we couldn’t have been more wrong!!!

On arriving the welcome was anything but warm, we were shown to our table and ordered two drinks. I ordered a brandy and coke but when it arrived it was minus the brandy, the waitress apologised and took it away, unfortunately though it didn't return and I had to ask somebody else for another one!!!

On the plus side, the restaurant is lovely inside, the starters arrived quite quickly and the two dishes we had were very tasty (not that any of the waitresses bothered to ask), but unfortunately it all went down hill after that.

Having sat for some 45 minutes waiting for the main meals, I asked one of the waitresses how much longer the food would be and she said it was on its way. A few minutes later the mains arrived but unfortunately both our meals and the accompanying plate of vegetables were all tepid. Strangely the plates themselves were hot but not the food!!! I tried to get the attention of the waitresses but they just kept walking passed and ignoring us so I decided to walk through to the other room where a man who I can only assume was the manager was standing. I explained the situation to him and he just shrugged his shoulders and said - well what do you want me to do about it!! - i could barely speak i was so taken aback by the response!!!! I said to him - so you think its acceptable to wait 45 minutes for main courses and then when they arrive they are not hot!!!! - he just shrugged his shoulders again and said well do you want them replaced or do you just want to leave!!, i turned my back on him in disgust and walked back through to the other room where our table was, In the meantime a waitress had approached my husband to ask if everything was ok with the meals, my husband had explained that the food was tepid, she had apologised and was in the process of replacing the meals which would all have been fine but the manager then followed me through to our table and said to myself and my husband - if your not happy, just leave!!!. We were so disgusted with his attitude that we both said at the same time - think we’ll leave then!!! - he then proceeded to lean right over us, grab our drinks and walk off. I was so upset at this point that I felt the need to stand up in the middle of the restaurant and warn the other diners that they too may be in for a bad night!!! - normally I would never ever resort to such measures but then I have never ever encountered such an unprofessional, childish, pathetic, disinterested jobsworth of a manager!!!

I really wasn’t expecting to be writing a bad review of this place, we just don't know what went wrong on Saturday night. We both felt that from the moment we arrived there seemed an atmosphere amongst the staff, they didn't seem happy at all, i don't think I saw one of them crack a smile. I don’t know whether something had kicked off earlier in the restaurant or between the staff but at the end of the day the staff (especially the manager) should remain professional at all times and not take any personal problems out on the customers. Myself and my husband have both waited on so we know exactly how you should, and should not treat a customer. All he had to do was apologise and try his best to rectify things but the guy couldn’t have been less interested if he tried.

We ended up eating our mains at Sweeneys Restaurant instead, the food was gorgeous and HOT and the staff were very friendly and attentive, - all the things we hoped/expected from Morrels but unfortunately they failed to deliver.

14  Thank LOUISE S
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were mistakenly put off going into Morrels on the first night of our stay as we saw a couple of couples going in who looked rather more well dressed than we were and decided it was a bit too posh for us on that particular occasion! I wish we hadn't been so silly! We went on the Friday night (slightly better dressed I might add) but we realised that we had misjudged the place. Don't get me wrong, the restaurant is very smart and the staff are polite, attentive and professional enough for the most high end eatery, but Morrels also has a lovely warmth and down-to-earthness about it that is perfectly fitting with its location and (I would imagine) diversity of clientele. The menu is varied and tempting and (in my experience, unusually) the set menu is as filled with equally scrummy sounding delights as the a la carte and specials menu. Both myself and my friend opted for the set menu but largely because the items we would have chosen anyway from the a la carte were on there. My friend is a vegetarian and was overjoyed to discover several things she could choose that weren't the standard mushroom risotto or lasagna. I had the most perfectly cooked pork belly I've ever had with what could have been an overpowering combination of sweet potato and BBQ sauce but which was presented beautifully and in just the correct portion sizes to be the perfect accompaniment. My friend was equally pleased with her aubergine vegetarian dish. The starters and the puddings were equally delightful and all served promptly and with a smile. The knowledge that these beautiful 3 courses were under £20 made them all the more pleasing. I would thoroughly recommend a visit to Morrels whether you are in Keswick for a walking weekend with friends, a romantic break with your other half or for a family holiday. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Almost every option available on the a la carte menu was included. The Lemon Tarte is highly recommended!