“Yummy food”

The Lakeland Pedlar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Popped here for a snack on our first day of our stay during the afternoon.

The place was fairly busy downstairs but seating was very quiet upstairs and we were served fairly quickly.

Food took a little while to arrive but that's because it was made from fresh and was all the more delicious for it. I only ordered the light bite tortilla chips (very tasty) but it was in fact quite substantial and I had trouble finishing it.

Place was clean and tidy, including the toilets. Everywhere looked nice but to be fair I wasn't really concentrating on the decorating, more on my yummy tortillas.

Shame others didn't like this place. I think it's pretty good value for freshly made food and the quantities served.

If I'm ever back in the area hiking I'd certainly like to try and pop back in for a nibble.

1  Thank HubbysNumpty

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Good food, good service from lovely staff. Lovely atmosphere, especially on an overcast, rainy day. Good value.

1  Thank Geraldine H
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We ate here at lunchtime and in the evening - early evening as they said the last orders were at 7.30pm. There were lots of choices of lunch - less so in the evening. The tapas plate I ordered in the evening was enormous and my partner had to help me with it though we still didn't finish it. There are lots of gluten free options as all the sandwiches can be made with gluten free bread. It's more of a lunch place or early evening meal than dinner but that was what we wanted.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

called in for lunch as i thought i could remember trip advisor reports saying it did gluten free food.
the menu does cater. I had the soup and a brie,grape and walnut sandwich and my husband had the soup and a gluten free cheese and chutney sandwich. Both ok my husband finds it difficult to find a gluten free bread that is tasty unless it is toasted. Cafe a bit on the cold side, staff were friendly and the cafe was nearly full by the time we left. It was a quiet Monday and even Keswick was quiet and that is very strange.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We have been visiting the Pedlar on our many trips to the Lakes for almost 20 years. This time we immediately noticed the changes - not for the better in our opinion. The décor cannot make up its mind whether its rustic or contemporary. Whilst we were assured the kitchen team were the same under the new ownership our food was disappointing. Our daughters brie on scone was very dry and crumbly and my husbands leak and potato soup was a strange colour and full of bits of stringy celery which dominated the flavour. The bill came to £20 for one filled roll, one brie scone, a bowl of soup, one coffee and 2 waters. Expensive for what we got. I pointed out our disappointment, especially regarding the soup when paying and the waiter said he would tell the chef. We found better places in Keswick for lunch during our weeks stay and we will not hurry back to the Pedlar which was always such a favourite. At 1pm on a busy market day there were only 2 other tables occupied which speaks volumes.

2  Thank Anne F
PaulMax M, Owner at The Lakeland Pedlar, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

We now understand we cannot please everyone but will always endeavor to try, that said , all food from via the menus or the specials board is made fresh to serve and the majority of our customers leave happy & return, regardless if the decor is to their liking or not!!
Winter times in Keswick can be hard & long for businesses and this is fact and bares no reflection on the customer foot-fall into the premises as no two days are ever the same.
Thank you!