“DISHONEST AND GREEDY - STAY CLEAR!”
Review of Gilpin House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Gilpin House
Ranked #183 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I rang Gilpin House 1 week before our visit and booked in for 2 nights (Thurs and Fri) with the female owner, I believe to be Mrs Sextant. She quoted me £25pppn. The B&B is run by her and her husband who are both very elderly. I called ahead on the day of my arrival and confirmed my 2 night booking with her and she agreed. After a long week walking and camping in the lakes we arrived. (Myself, my husband and our friend) Id booked a double room for us and a single room for our friend (which turned out to be a double) On arrival I noted the premises was huge and grand, lovely from the outside, shame about the inside. It was like stepping back in time. Very very dated. Threadbare carpets and curtains and old fashioned flowery faded wallpaper. We were shown to our rooms. Ours was not en suite and the shower cubicle was ancient, tiny and mouldy. The bedding was faded and dated. The room was large and spacious. For £25 I wasn't going to complain, but I have certainly stayed in much better hostels. We stayed the first night no problems. At breakfast in the dining room, I noted thick dust on the cabinets near the table. The place was dirty and needed a good clean. Breakfast was 1 egg, 2 rashers of bacon and 1 sausage - that's it!! I asked for orange juice to be told they didn't have any. The lady said she would go and get some and the old man said "No no no! don't bother!!" How rude!
After Breakfast the lady placed a bill on our table which read 3 x £34. I queried this and explained she had quoted me £25. She explained that £25 was her normal rate but as there was a Christian convention in Keswick that week, the price had gone up! Unbelievable as there were no other residents at the B&B that we noted!! I asked she respect the price she quoted me and she agreed eventually. I explained we would settle the full bill the next day when we were due to leave and returned to my room. Some 30 minutes later she came to my room to tell me she didn't have my party booked in for a 2nd night. I explained there must be a mistake, and that I had booked for 2 nights and had rang ahead to confirm. She went away and returned to my room several times eventually telling me, I was not in her book for a 2nd night and therefore she wanted us to leave!!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This was a Friday in July in Keswick and she was asking us to leave, having booked us in over the phone TWICE for 2 nights - She then made the error of lying to me saying the room was already booked out and then said something entirely different afterwards. I knew the room wasn't booked, but it was a Friday and we were due to leave Saturday morning. It was the weekend kids broke up from school and I'm sure she had a query from another guest for the room for 2 nights (which she could charge at her higher rate) and make more money from them rather than us!!!!
I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED SO APPALLINGLY AND FULLY BELIEVE THIS LADY WHO HAD BEEN SO DECEIVINGLY FRIENDLY ALL THE WAY THROUGH UNTIL I QUERIED THE PRICE WITH HER, WAS JUST DOWNRIGHT DISHONEST AND GREEDY - WARNING TO ALL TRIPADVISORS - NEVER STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Shell1978
There are newer reviews for Gilpin House

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Don't overlook this one, large rooms full of character very pleasent and very charming, Mrs Sextant was all of these, two minute work from Keswick TC, parking at the rear, good breakfast included in very reasonable rates.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Mr and Mrs Sexton were very freindly and accomodating.

My wife and I stayed as a family in the rather pleasantly large, and well kept family room very comfortably with our two children (aged 7 and 4). My mother and father and aunt and uncle and cousin and their dog were also accomodated in the house the same weekend. We are all vegetarians and received delicious breakfasts each morning - although they do provide for carnivores too.

The decor is, perhaps, dated (there is woodchip on the walls) but clean and well maintaned and I enjoyed the feeling of nostalgia from similar holidays as a child. The breakfast room boasts an original "Roberts" wireless radio.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We had gotten into Keswick very late-9pm to be exact, and drove round only seeing No Vacancy signs. I spotted the Gilpin, and asked Mrs Sexton if she had a twin room for me & my Mum. She said No, but she could put a single mattress in a large room for me-Which was great! Very accommodating(and a good nights sleep!)
The propriotors are very friendly, house is victorian charm with a travellers collection on mainly asian ornaments-very nice.
Now they say they allow dogs-any other time this would have put me off, but my nose starts running in such a household but IT DID NOT here-very clean-all over.
The rooms are basic, you get kettle, coffee, tea, no doubt you can ask to borrow a hairdryer.
We had an en suite, which was a shower, toilet & basin-all clean.
decorations:- well it is all fresh & clean, but its woodchip, and slightly dated, but all other good things about this B & B easily plaster over these small details.
You are in a great place in Keswick-near all the amenities, free parking until 10am the next day. the food was good, but I only had scrambled egg on toast, (which was well made).
I would recommend this B & B to anyone. I don't think there is anywhere to sit of an evening?

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank Arramattic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
The Keswick Country House Hotel
The Lodge in the Vale
The Lodge in the Vale
#1 of 2 in Thirlmere

Been to Gilpin House? Share your experiences!