“Fantastic stay”
Review of Oakthwaite House

Oakthwaite House
Ranked #76 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Not only is this a great B&B with alot of nice touches thrown in, but Keswick is truly a wonderful place to base your visit to the Lake District. Out of all the places we stayed at on our 17-day trip of Britain, both my wife and I liked Keswick the best.

We arrived rather late in the day, tired after a long drive from Ironbridge. David and Karen made us feel at home right away. We got some good recommendations on places to eat and activities to do in the area.

Our two nights here were truly a wonderful experience. The room was large, clean and well furnished. Breakfast was a real treat because of the expanded choice of items over the traditional English breakfast. My wife and I both loved the homeade granola.

We were lucky that on both days the weather was sunny and spectacular. On the advice of David, we did a hike up to the top of Skiddaw. The trip took about 5 hours up and back and the views were gorgeous.

I just want to end my review by saying that a particular host or hostess can make or break a B&B. David and Karen were one of the best that we encountered on our trip. They go out of there way to make your stay a pleasant one and seem to truly enjoy what they are doing.

• Stayed: May 2008

Reviewed May 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed for two nights, end of April beginning of May 2008. I have to say it's one of the nicest B&B's we've ever stayed at. The thoughtful touches of goody bags and bottled water, all make for a relaxing comfortable stay. We both had full English breakfasts and they set us up for the day nothing is too much trouble for Karen and David. They truly made us feel welcome. One experience we'll be revisiting soon!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Debbie and Adrian Preston
Wigston, Leicester
Date of stay - 25/04 to 29/04 2008
My husband and I stayed at Oakthwaite House at Easter, our second stay. We booked our return trip to this special guest house after being so well looked after the first time, and if anything the second time was better. Run by David and Karen, they really do think of everything to make your stay memorable. From high standard accommodation, breakfasts worth getting up for and numerous extra little touches, the passion of the owners shines through
Keswick itself is a lovely town, with plenty of walking available from your front door. No shortage of places to eat and drink, try the Packhorse for food
All goes to make a quality break, we'll be booking again soon

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2008

Both my wife and I stayed at the Oakthwaite House 31 Mar - 4 Apr 08. Oakthwaite House situated in the wonderfull town of Keswick has something unique to offer those of you looking for a B&B experience. Hosts David and Karen provide the real deal in hospitality and comfort with every request and requirement catered for. The accommodation is delightful and together with a delicious breakfast, including the best Grenola this side of anywhere, you'll be going back time after time. Room 6 has a fantastic view of Skiddaw and is a firm recommendation, but unless you book it you'll never know! Fantastic time, Many thanks David and of course Chef too!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Oakthwaite for just one night at the end of March on the strength of the recommendations found on this site. We were delighted when we saw our room - the super king size - this place is a real gem.

The rooms are spotlessly clean and are decorated to a high standard with modern furnishings. Lots of extra touches (chocolates, CD player, DVD player) made the stay really special. The breakfast was superb and the hosts are very friendly and helpful. We wil definitely be returning for a longer stay!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this B&B again this year, a year on from last year and this being my first review for this guest house, thought it was well deserverd, albeit a month on.

The owners, David and Karen made us both feel very welcome again. The guest house is easy to fing with lovely walks both easy and strenuous, a footprint away from the front door.

Breakfast was excellent with delicious choices and the service very friendly. David (a walker himself) was able to recommend some lovely and easy scenic walks for when we were tired.

The room was again imaculate and warm with the Ferrero Rocher a nice surprise.

All in all we will definetly stay again!

Thanks for a lovely stay...............

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2008

Prior to my chance discovery of this "gem" during its opening week, my wife and I would stay in multiple starred hotels in the Lake District. Oakthwaite has kept our custom ever since due to exceptional service, personal attention and the genuine warmth of proprietors, Karen and David.
This was our 3rd stay at Oakthwaite (my 5th!). Without exception, each visit has been outstanding. Fantastic hosts clearly work hard to prepare for your arrival. Their local knowledge and generous hospitality will enhance any break here. Spotless rooms are guaranteed with expectations exceeded by some distance. Superb breakfasts offer the widest choice with consistent quality. High teas are also strongly recommended! Even the biscuits provided in your room are delicious and chosen with care.
In every regard our stays with Karen and David have been a first class experience . As I write, my only concern is how difficult it will be to book for our next stay!
S&J Sheffield

Stayed: February 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
LakeSide House
#108 of 189 in Keswick
Dorchester House
Dorchester House
#107 of 189 in Keswick

Been to Oakthwaite House? Share your experiences!