“Ideal for a trip to Keswick!”
Review of Greystoke House

Greystoke House
Ranked #118 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Epsom, United Kingdom
“Ideal for a trip to Keswick!”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Whether it's a few days walking in the superb Lake District countryside or just for a trip to see the sights, this B&B is amazingly well situated just off the centre of Keswick - literally 2 minutes walk from the heart of the town. The lakeside theatre is also just 5 minutes walk and Derwent water and the varied walks around it are also 5 minutes away. The host (Mark) is helpful with info and advice and the standard of the rooms and breakfast is good for the price. I'd happily stay here again. The only thing to bear in mind is the parking is sometimes scarce depending on the time of the day - we parked a hundred yards away on a couple of days but that's not really a problem.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed April 6, 2012

As another reviewer noted, this is run very much like a business. It's very efficient, if a little impersonal. The manager gave me all the information I asked for, but didn't engage beyond that. Also, the breakfast time is very rigidly set at 8.30 - other B&Bs will give you more flexibility here.

The bed was very comfortable - a relief after hostels, and the breakfast was well-cooked..

Other positives - great location, and very reasonable rates.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed here for one evening and enjoyed my stay.Lovely comfy bed in my single room( pity it wasn't en suite) ,Delicious cooked breakfast and very welcoming owners. In ideal location,would defiantly stay again !

• Stayed February 2012
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Return visit very welcoming, great food and most helpful on any requests. An ideal location for exploring the lake district.

• Stayed October 2011
Wymondham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We have just stayed at this guest house for four nights. It is run by a very friendly and efficient gentleman and I believe his wife/partner, though we never saw her (to our knowledge). We stay in a lot of B&B's each year and this one falls into the catagory that I call "industrial". Very much set up to process you through your (probably) brief stay. It's purpose (like all in Keswick I would imagine) is to provide shelter from the rain, warmth, dry towels, comfy bed and a breakfast, to the thousands of walkers who descend on the town each year and whose focus is walking and where the accomodation is of little relevance to them (we are not hill walkers).
There is no guest lounge to relax in, so it's your room (hard upright chairs) or out to the pub. Described as a "home from home" by the owners, it most certainly is not and it would be wise to delete that from their blurb. It is very business like in style. I have stayed at "home from home" guest houses and this is definately not one of them.
This sounds like I'm moaning but really I am not, it is exactly the kind of accomodation most of it's hill walking guests are probably seeking and the charges are reasonable compared with other guest houses. The bed was very comfy, the breakfast excellent and we were grateful that our two dogs were welcomed.
The parking (as for 95% of all guest houses in this area) is on the street and was horrendous during our stay (October half term). Will not suit people who worry about where they park their pride and joy. Cars were dumped all over the place with little space in some roads, for cars to drive through. Good location for walking into the town though.
There are millions of guest houses in the immeadiate area and I would imagine this one is as 'good' as any.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jimlad007
greyhosts, Owner at Greystoke House, responded to this review, October 31, 2011
I am really sorry that you felt your stay wasn't up to scratch, we do not profess to be anything other than a reasonably priced, adequate and clean Bed & Breakfast for guests visiting Keswick, and I am really sorry you felt we were 'industrial'.
We do not have the space to offer a guest lounge and as we are not a hotel, it has never been an issue before with guests preferring to stay in their rooms. I am also really sorry that you felt we were not a home from home, as we are dog friendly we do remove the bed spreads and a few soft furnishings when dogs stay as we have had a lot of damage in the past.
I am also sorry that I did not meet with you more often, I work part-time as well as cooking the breakfasts and dealing with the B&B so am often very busy. We did however meet a couple of times, out the front of the house and in the hallway, I must just be easy to forget.
As for the parking issue, it can get very busy at certain times of the day but there is rarely damage and had you been worried about your car you should of said and we would of moved our car to accommodate yours.
I'm sorry again that your stay in Keswick with us was not a better one.
Regards,
Helen Smith
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2011

A comfy, cosy, convenient place to stop. We've been several times and will definitely go back. Breakfast is delicious, owners are pleasant and obliging. Many of the B and B's ask you to put your dog in the car during breakfast and frown upon you eating/drinking in your room - not greystoke! A much more 'home from home' experience. Worst thing is parking but that is common to all accomodation in the area! 10 out of 10 from us again, just what we needed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flo011
London
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Very clean and good size room but bathroom was a cupboard- the smallest I've ever seen. Also the mattress was very uncomfortable - one of those old, cheap ones that you might expect in a student's digs. It woke us up throughout the night sticking it's coils into us!

Location was great and we both really enjoyed the breakfast. I can understand a previous reviewer's comment about the strictness though- the people at the next table to us got told off for not selecting their eggs properly!

• Stayed October 2011