“Lovely!”

Derwent Pencil Museum
Ranked #20 of 71 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Derwent Pencil Museum Keswick Opening times Open every day included Sunday 09.30-17.00pm (except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year's Day). Parking Please Note - The car park is operated by Allerdale Bourgh Council and is not part of the Derwent Pencil Museum - parking charges apply. Admission prices Adults £4.50 Senior/student £4.50 Child £3.95 2 adults +1 child £12.50 2 adults + 2 Children £14.50 2 adults + 3 children £16.50 Yearly Membership ( 2 adults + up to 3 children) £25.00 plus 10% discount in the café and gift shop.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Perhaps I loved the place because of my love to small museums, but I think it can be enjoyed a lot if you know what to do there. My aim was to entertain a big pack of kids, and it is quite possible here, and museum does a lot to allow it. We loved the questionnaire which is available there - kids like it. Workshops are very good, too., and he shop is gorgeous.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is yet another small museum suitable for entertaining the kids for an hour on a rainy day. There is a small exhibition explaining the materials used in making the pencil and a brief history. There was a 5 min film which explained the factory process.There was a children's trail which kept them interested. There was a childrens activity session which was disappointing and was merely a small room with a large table, some colouring pencils and paper. The shop was very small and the Derwent range of pencils could not be fully appreciated. It is better to go to Hobbycraft to see the full range. Lastly there is a small cafe on site.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My second visit in 5 years and a really sweet museum. Good size to get through quickly but very interesting.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

It is fascinating what you can learn about the humble pencil. It's quite small, but well worth a visit.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I recently visited Keswick having already decided to visit the pencil museum while there. So, off we went all excited, eager to see how pencils are made up close. We payed the lady what I thought was a fairly reasonable £11.75 for 2 adults & a child & listened as she recited, for the umteenth time, her speach about what we should look out for once inside and how my Daughter could take a few quiz sheets and look for clues in order to win a small prize later. Woohooo!...sounds brilliant!!!
We set off through a short reconstruction of a graphite mine or summut, emerging at the other end into the light. Oh dear. I knew within the first 60 seconds that I wanted my money back. There is basically one room separated by wall after wall of boring text & pictures on pencil history. If you are willing to spend the afternoon standing and reading the endless slides, then i've no doubt you will learn something. However, most kids I know (and most adults too) do not want to read monotonous drivel in a museum. They want hands on and sadly this place has very little. The highlight of the museum appeared to be a video, yes video of how pencils are made in the factory. Sadly, I did not watch this video as I wanted the actual factory not a looped VHS of disgruntled pencil makers. I was probably only in the 'museum' less that 10 minutes before exiting through the expensive gift shop feeling absolutely cheated.
I was in a zombie like trance, not quite knowing what had just happened. My Daughter sensed this and quickly fleeced me for about £25 for pencils & paper.
I have read, and cannot understand how other visitors can leave such glowing reviews of this place. From my experience, the shop & cafe staff are great, the coffee was quite good & the products in the shop are good quality....but the museum?...Meh
If, like me, you're visiting Keswick and fancy something to do with your kids, please don't go here. Drive up and down the M6 for a few hours instead.

6  Thank TomFist