“Cumberland Pencil Museum”

Derwent Pencil Museum
Ranked #40 of 74 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Derwent Pencil Museum Keswick Opening times Open every day included Sunday 09.30-17.00pm (except for Christmas Day, Boxing Day & New Year's Day). Parking Please Note - The car park is operated by Allerdale Bourgh Council and is not part of the Derwent Pencil Museum - parking charges apply. Admission prices Adults £4.50 Senior/student £4.50 Child £3.95 2 adults +1 child £12.50 2 adults + 2 Children £14.50 2 adults + 3 children £16.50 Yearly Membership ( 2 adults + up to 3 children) £25.00 plus 10% discount in the café and gift shop.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I learnt some facts about pencils I did not know but the museum was a little old fashioned. It reminded me of the type of museum I'd visit as a kid in the 80s. I felt it hadn't moved forward much. Quite small too. A delay in sending my personalised pencils but made up for it by sending some ordinary pencils too.

All reviews
in 59 reviews
"video"
in 102 reviews

Reviewed November 4, 2012

A real must see ,absolutely fascinating,how clever were our ancestors designing things without the use of technology.Really well worth a visit to appreciate their ingenuity!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

A friendly welcome, a free pencil and more childhood memories than you can shake a stick at. Recommended.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

This was more than just a walk down memory lane, seeing the Lakeland colouring pencils and Derwent pencils from my childhood. This was local history which has played a part in all our lives wherever we were brought up in the UK. It was fascinating, and the school children who were there on visits, were equally interested. Such a pity the factory itself is no longer there, but this was an unexpected find and the highlight of our day trip round the Lakes. The staff knew so much and it is obviously a pleasure fro them to work there.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We are 29 and 31 - and we still managed to occupy ourselves for a good couple of hours. Slightly apprehensive about sitting down to try the watercolour pencils with some 4 year olds but ended up enjoying myself immensely! V interesting and factual, think id actually been round here when I was a toddler and still remember it! Excellent for all ages