“Other pubs/inns/hotels are available..................”

The Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #85 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Oh dear, we have been staying at the Kings Head fairly regularly since 2008.
The place has changed - A lot. Unfortunately not for the better.
It is still clean, and the bed we were in was comfortable, but the room was so,so damp and cold.
The bar food - Expensive for what it is and they serve chips (6 or 7 to a portion) in a "Jenga" style, or a little galvanised bucket. What's all that about - It's a pub!
The beer is also relatively expensive, and not as well kept as it used to be.
I think that a lot of other people have had similar experiences as the pub itself, the hotel and the restaurant, were consistently empty.
On the good side, dogs are still welcome.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Myself and my partner have had a lovely weekend at the Kings Head. The service, the rooms and the meals were absolutely fabulous and they had a very good choice of wines. Adam and his team couldn't do any more than they did to make everyone who came into the hotel very welcome.We loved the log fire in the residents lounge it was brilliant and the room was so cosy and welcoming. This hotel is in a lovely area with beautiful views and not far at all from Keswick. I would most definitely recommend this to anyone, Was a lovely experience and we will most definitely be going again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maureen650
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Having been booked in here by my work. I was booked in for a nights stay. I arrived at teatime and checked in. looked quaint with wood panelled walls etc. I walked up to my single room and my heart sank. The room was tired looking and very small and narrow and had the feel of a boat cabin. The shower took a few minutes to heat up. But once warm was great to freshen and warm up after a long days work. I went down to the bar for a meal. The bar was empty and silent. I sat alone for a minute or so before I was served. The menu looked simple and a little pricey. I chose the 2 courses for £15.95 I ordered sirloin steak to be followed by sticky toffee pudding. When it arrived I couldn't believe it. I was given a rather tough steak finger 3 onion rings with a metal bucket with 7 chips. The steak was tiny. I've had bigger steak sandwiches! Then followed a rather unpleasant dessert. I only ate that as I had not eaten all day and this was the only place around for miles. I went back to my converted cupboard to bed. The walls were paper thin with all the noise from the corridor and the room next door. I had a restless nights sleep. I got up in the morning left my key at reception then went straight to my car and drove off. I wasn't even prepared risk breakfast and drove to Keswick to find a cafe before I started work.
Just because it's close to a nice area isn't an excuse to rip people off. I don't mind paying out for good food. But paying a lot for poor quality food and service is a big turn off.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tvcrew80
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Have just stayed again at the Kings Head with our little dog. This time we were in the delightful front facing room with a four poster bed and roll top bath. The log fire in the residents lounge is a cosy place to gather and chat with other residents about the adventures of the day. The food is always just great, a good steak menu and a good chardonnay ... what's not to like? The staff are always lovely - this time we were very well looked after by Adam, and the lovely Alex and Maria. They took the time and trouble to make us feel like were getting very personal service. Thanks to everyone at Lake District Inns who make the bookings. We'll be back before too long I hope.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view of the fells.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Short trip to the Lake District, staying at the Lodge down the road which recommended The Kings Head. The food was exceptional, lovely quirky feel and great service from Adam and the team. And refreshing to see how good value it was, we would have happily paid more. Many thanks!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were staying down the road at The Lodge in the Vale and called in for a few drinks and a snack one evening. We were made to feel very welcome and the bar staff were happy to chat.

The drink and food selection is varied with options ranging from a quick snack to a full three course meal however it is a little expensive; we had a cheese board and four drinks and left with a £22 bill!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent a lovely couple of days here. The Inn is full of character, our room (room 4 ) was well furnished and decorated and very cosy.
The staff were very friendly and helpful.
We ate here both evenings and the food was great, there was also a good selection of ales.
We are looking forward to a return visit as soon as possible, highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple