“Basic camping, with amazing scenery!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Dalebottom Farm Caravan & Camping Park
Ranked #32 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Keswick
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Camped at Dalebottom farm for 1 night whilst visiting the Keswick Beer Festival. The site is quite a walk from Keswick centre. Takes around 1 hour to walk. The site is very basic. There are no set pitches, so with some consideration for other campers, you pitch wherever you like. There are no luxuries associated with this site - so if you don't enjoy basic camping this site is not for you. There is a site shop, with basic items. Showers (cost is 20p), clean toilets, and pot washing facilities (hot water for this costs 20p) The site is very quiet, no road noise. Although this a working farm you are not woken at some ungodly hour! No real lighting, so if you are going be back late remember to take a torch. The site has some amazing scenery, has to be seen. An amazing sight first thing in the morning - especially when you are used to waking up to bricks and mortar.
Would use the site again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TakeItEasy59

Reviewed August 30, 2011

I enjoy the Lakes and decided to end the summer at Keswick and due to late booking Dalebottom Farm was one of our last options, in hindsight I wish we stayed at home.

The campsite was not cleaned, I believe its a working farm and the owners seemed more interested in the farm than us. There were alot of loud young groups which didnt help with us trying to get down for an early night.

We woke up and a few of our belongings had been stolen and we went to report this, and the site owner was very laid back with his response and said that we should have been careful with our belongs. After my disgust at his response, I requested him to investigate the matter further, and this is when he got aggressive and I really felt that he was going to assault me.

As you can appreciate, I am not the biggest fan of Dalebottom farm, but I would like to at least give potential new guests the opportunity to read this so that they are aware of the treatment and lack effort/customer service provided by the owner.

John My Loughlin

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank John M
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Dalebottom is an excellant campsite situated close to Keswick, our group has a summer camp each year within the Lake District area and this year's was one of the best, partly due to the campsite and its location near to Keswick. The camp was a weekend event, attended by approximately ten work colleagues, all relatively sensible. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, soon after pitching the tents, we started the barbaque and beers amidst the tranquil setting of Dale Bottom. Later we called a taxi and headed into Keswick to savour the nightlife. Soon after midnight we headed back to the site and fired up the barbaque and beers until daybreak, great to see the sunrise over the campsite.

After a couple of hours sleep we all headed for Grisedale Pike, a bit of a tall order after the night before.

After the trek we were able to repeat the following night, however, this time a couple of groups from around the site joined us to see the day break.

All in all, a fantastic weekend at one of the most scenic and tranquil campsites in the Lake District.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank SadIan
Reviewed March 30, 2010

w e arrived after lunch but could not find anybody, although we had rung ahead,.eventually found farmers son who said he was too busy to help us and to go and find somewhere to park,
lots of groups on site so not family orientated we thought area would be peaceful but lot of noise at night.
not enough toilets for site, no hot water.
very disapointed

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
10  Thank pogostick350
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I agree with the comments on these pages from “Thorpe35” about choosing the right site for your requirements. We have stayed at most of the camp sites in and around Keswick, some are excelent and some are not so good. We have stayed at Dale Bottom several times but only if other sites were full. Dale Bottom is in a good location although rather close to the noise of a main road. If you don’t mind basic camping with out-dated, not too clean facilities, cold water and noise from fellow campers in to the early hours then you wont mind Dale Bottom. The owners are friendly enough unless you have a complaint, if you have a complaint then the basic reply is “go away and don’t bother to come back”.

I dont agree with the comment from “geordievader” camping isnt just for people who want to get back to nature, camping is for everyone, young and old who wants to enjoy the outdoors and for some of us that also means enjoying piece and quiet. His comment about deciding not to stay at a nearby camp site because he couldn’t understand what their rule of complete silence was all about is typical of people who just don’t know how or when to be quiet. I think being informed of the site rules before he stayed was so he could choose if he wanted to stay or not and obviously making the decision to move to Dale Bottom was the right choice for him.

Personally we like good clean facilities, great views, friendly people and piece and quiet. We love the rule Castlerigg Farm has of silence after 10.30pm, this means we can have a good nights sleep or sit out and watch the stars in the quietness of the countryside. I dont want to hear someone talking in the next tent, I dont want to hear people laughing and shouting as they come back from the pubs, if I did Id go to Dale Bottom. Wanting a quiet site dosent make us snobs or stuck up or "not propper campers" it just makes us individuals and means we have also made the decision to choose the right site for us.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank JuneBell
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Dalebottom Farm is, as people before me have agreed, set in a beautiful location. there is no doubt about it. However, i have viewed the good reviews that have been written asking people like me to 'shut up - Dalebottom means real camping' and quite frankly, if you think that is real camping then you are sadly mistaken. i was a scout from the ages of 6 to 19 so i know all about real, rough camping, but the hygeine of this place was disgraceful. That is not real camping. That is just disgusting. To the 'Farmer' I say 'Pervert'. How dare a man of his age waltz into the womens loo without any notice, or warning?! No matter the reason, YOU HAVE A WIFE. Also, why are people paying this disgusting man for a cold shower? I have called a friend of mine who works for the department of sanitaion and am doing my best to have Dalebottom Farm reformed. For gods sake, i had my little girl in that grotesque place! Strongly would not recommend this site for the forseable future.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank Harriet36
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We have visited many camp sites in the Lake District and where we camp depends on what we want to do and who we go camping with. Thank goodness each site is different and we all have a choice of where to stay.

We come to Dale bottom if we have friends with us and we want to sit out late, have a drink, make a bit of noise and even play a little music, Dale Bottom is that kind of site. The children can run around and we go home ready for bed because were shattered with the lack of sleep. Yes, I agree, the facilities are few, I don't think I've ever had hot water at Dale Bottom and there are times when there hasn't been any toilet paper but were aware of this and go prepared, we usually just go for the weekend anyway.

The scenery is beautiful, but we are in the Lake District and everywhere has great views. You can hear some noise from the A591 but the road noise goes quieter later at night and eventually the campers do too. The family who run the site are busy farmers and they have other jobs apart from running the site so I suppose if its a choice of cleaning the toilets or seeing to a sick animal the animal takes priority.

After reading previous reviews on these page I see one person wasn't happy with Castlerigg Campsite.We have also been to Castlerigg on several occasions, they have good clean facilities, the people who own it are friendly and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to hear the people in the next tent talking all night. Just because we sometimes like a quiet site doesn't mean were stuck up, it just means we want a change and its nice to have a choice. As I said at the beginning, Horses for Courses so choose your site accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thorpe35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Borrowdale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portinscale
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castlerigg

Been to Dalebottom Farm Caravan & Camping Park? Share your experiences!