“Beautiful campsite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Keswick
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We only stayed one night at Castlerigg in a motor home as it was a stop off point for watching Tour of Britain the next day.
It's really well signposted and easily accessible.

I would of gladly stayed a lot longer though, the spot given had beautiful view of the lake, but I believe that viewed is shared wherever you park. It also helped that day was a really nice day.

The grounds are really well maintained and had clean and modern facilities.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked a lively environment and the shop was well stocked with everything you need in case you run out.

There was also a really nice public footpath through a stream and woods which leads in to Keswick, takes about 20 minutes to get there but worth it.

We will no doubt visit again, may take the tent next time to mix it up.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
CasteriggHall, Owner at Castlerigg Hall Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

Dear Visitor, may I thank you for the review you have left and I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us.

We certainly have had some very good weather, although it is wet today. The view of the lake from certain parts of the park is, we feel exceptional, and is ever changing with the different light. You can also see another Lake (Bassenthwaite) from certain ares of the camp field.

We have worked hard on providing a full range of products in our shop and use a local farm shop supplier only 15 minutes drive from our park.

I hope you enjoyed the Tour of Britain. It came past our lane end and the crowds of spectators were amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Castlerigg for just one night but were both very impressed with the site. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming on arrival and the views across the site are stunning. The facilities are all excellent including a well stocked shop and superb toilet/shower block, quite possibly the nicest I've ever seen at a campsite! We had a great pitch, no view, but plenty of space between us and the next tent and the walk back from the toilet block gave us the stunning views we were after. I will definitely return and would highly recommend. Great location, excellent staff and altogether a top notch camping experience.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dibdebdob

Dear Guest, I'm delighted to read you had a 'top notch experience' on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your feedback on our facilities. We have invested heavily in these over the past 15 years and have plans to improve these further this winter, planning permitting.

I'm pleased to read you intend to stay with us again and enjoy the wonderful scenery that the Lake District has to offer.

Thank you again.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Just about to finish another 14 days camping at Castlerigg Hall. That's 4 weeks so far this year with another 2 booked in October...can't believe only three rainy days in those four weeks .... Spent most of the time enjoying the peace and quiet of the park, enjoying the views and local wildlife .......Thanks again for the hospitality of the owners and staff at Castlerigg Hall.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
CasteriggHall, Owner at Castlerigg Hall Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear Sir, thank you for your valued custom and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

The weather has certainly been superb and our camping field is looking in wonderful condition.

I'm pleased you had a quiet relaxing time and that the wildlife has been a source of pleasure. We are members of the David Bellamy conservation scheme and have been busy with a new planting scheme which provides habitat and food for the wildlife.

We look forward to meeting you again in October and hope the weather is as nice and with the added attraction of the Autumn colours to enjoy.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

This is my 2nd time staying at this site.

The site itself is lovely and the restrooms and toilets are some of the nicest on a campsite I have ever been in. They are always nice and warm so if you are camping you can go in for a wee heat.

The facilities on the site are also good. There is a small restaurant if you don't want to cook which serves nice food but not much of a choice. There is also a shop for any necessities you may need.

There is a hotel/pub just outside the campsite which is small and basic but okay to spend a little time for a wee drink. Even though it was a hotel the bar didn't seem to open until 6pm and was closed on Sundays. The pub is nothing to do with the actual site though.

Every day and especially at night there were loads of cute wee rabbits on the sight which were nice to look at.

The site is very near to Keswick town and even thought I have not done it yet I have been told there is a nice scenic walk to the town which takes about half an hour.

I will definitely be back at this site the next time I am in the Lake District.

Room Tip: If you are camping make sure you are in the main camping area otherwise it is a short walk to the to...
1  Thank jac_killie1981

Dear Guest, thank you for posting a review and I'm pleased to hear you have had a lovely time.

As you mention we now have heating in all three toilet buildings and in our campers lounge. We are now looking at trying to improve the smaller of the toilet buildings for next season with underfloor heating.

Our franchisees in the restaurant have been looking at the menu choice and are about to start a new menu with more choice which will be available to see on the website www.foodatjiggers.co.uk

We would definitely recommend the walk into Keswick which is a quiet 15 minute woodland walk before another 10 minutes through the outer parts of Keswick.

We look forward to you visiting again and hope the weather stays as sunny as it has been for the past month.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Top class site with hot water and kitchen / lounge plus cafe for those not wanting to cook. Views are good. Fields slope a bit so chose your pitch carefully. Recommended. Reception helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest, thank you for your review and recommending our park.

We built our Campers Kitchen in 2000 following inspiration from other parks abroad.

It is very popular particularly when the weather is inclement.

We spent some time this winter giving it a face-lift. which has been appreciated by many guests.

We hope to welcome you again to Castlerigg Hall in the future.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The campsite is wonderful - clean ample facilities, beautiful views, friendly staff, quiet location, lovely shop and only a 25 minute walk into the centre of keswick.

It was my first camping trip for many years and I was delighted by the quality of the site.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Visitor, I'm pleased to read your return to camping was a memorable one and that you had a wonderful time.

Thank you for your review which we appreciate and that you used our shop which we have been busy stocking with many quirky gifts as well as a wide range of local produce.

We hope to welcome you again to Castlerigg Hall soon.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is a brilliant campsite the facilities are excellent and the site was not overcrowded, guess it would be different during school holidays, site shop was very well stocked and found all staff to be friendly, they advertise themselves as 'the site with a view' and yes are some good views from certain areas of the site need to be picky where you pitch, also flat tent pitches are few and far between most do slope so you need a good look around first. It is only a 25 minute walk down to Keswick but beware to walk back is uphill and after doing a 10 mile hike that is the last thing I wanted.

Jiggers, choose to eat here one night, OK it is cheap and cheerful and fills an hole when you're hungry and don't fancy going down to Keswick, I ordered Steak Pie with Chips and Veg the Pie was very nice but Chips were nothing to write home about and the veg was overcooked, my wife ordered Quiche with new potatoes and salad, I have an issue with them here (which my wife asked me not to make a point of) we were the 2 couple to be seated and after we ordered 2 ladies behind us both ordered the Quiche, the lady taking the orders then came back to us and said that they had run out of the quiche so my Wife changed to Steak Pie, she then went to the 2 ladies who ordered Quiche and told them she only had 1 Quiche left, so how's does that work we ordered before them but they got the last quiche available, very bad service there Jiggers.

1  Thank SteveBStoke
CasteriggHall, Owner at Castlerigg Hall Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Guests, thank you for taking the time to review our park.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience in Food at Jiggers. I will address the points you have raised with our franchisees this week to see what has happened in this case.

We do market as the park with the view, but not from all the pitches and we do make this clear in on our website and brochure. We are in the heart of a National Park and we have to create screening to prevent the park being obvious from the surrounding fells.

I'm pleased that you found the staff friendly and amenities excellent. We do try to keep improving our service and quality of the facilities and are currently looking at some improvements for next season.

Although it can be busier at weekends and in the school holidays we do limit the number of tents on the park, and with the trees providing separation, feedback from guests is generally positive.

Thank you again for your feedback and hope you consider staying with us again.

Yours Sincerely.

David Jackson
Castlerigg Hall Caravan and Camping Park.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
Dale Head Hall
Dale Head Hall
#16 of 17 in Keswick
Newby Bridge Country Caravan Park

Been to Castlerigg Hall Caravan and Camping Park? Share your experiences!