“Lovely staff but food was very poor”
Review of Bel Cibo - CLOSED

Bel Cibo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Most pasta sauces had cream, even the risotto had tons of cream which made it really greasy. They wouldn't need to add cream to risotto if were using genuine risotto rice like arborio or carnaroli. Pizzas looked like frozen bases bought in very thick. Pasta bowls like buckets didnt add anything ... Also a dark uninspiring interior. A well meaning team , cant fault the service but I couldnt return.

1  Thank TG G
Lucy M, Owner at Bel Cibo, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments, although I would like to point out that all of your comments are completely unfounded.

1. Most of our pasta sauces don't have cream in them; you could have chosen a Bolognese, Lasagne, Amatriciana, Fusilli Pollo, Arrabiatta, Primavera, Seafood risotto or a Primavera risotto. The other pasta’s and risotto's are described as being creamy so if you don't like creamy pasta's or risotto's, then I would suggest you didn't order one. However, as everything is either made to order or freshly prepared each day, another option would be to simply ask for the pasta or risotto you would like without cream.

2. As an Italian restaurant the ONLY rice we use is Arborio and all of our risotto's are cooked with this rice. We NEVER under any circumstances use any other rice.

3. I can assure you and all the readers of this review that our pizza bases are made freshly on the premises every day. We do not buy our pizza bases in and we have had many comments from other customers about how thin and authentically Italian our pizza bases are.

4. I am very sorry you didn't like the look of our pasta bowls, but this is a very personal opinion and I'm pretty sure that the most important thing is actually what is in the bowl.

5. As for your comment regarding the interior, a lot of people like the decor. As this must have been your first impression, I'm quite surprised you bothered to sit down.

6. I am pleased you found the service very good, but I am confused as to why you didn't mention your problems to a member of staff. If I was having such a terrible experience in a restaurant, I would request to speak to someone in charge.

Anyway, not to worry, as you have said yourself you will not be returning. I very much hope that you are able to find a restaurant that can satisfy all of your needs and requirements.

There are newer reviews for Bel Cibo

Reviewed August 27, 2013

we found this from other reviews on trip advisor and wasn't disappointed. lovely meal, service and the only thing i would say is book early otherwise you may struggle getting a table

1  Thank Gary C
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Yet another very enjoyable visit to Bel Cibo, this time as one of a family group. Service was friendly and efficient and we liked the fact that the waitresses had time to have snippets of conversation with us. It all goes towards an enjoyable experience. Dining here is not just sit, eat, pay and leave. It is relaxed and more importantly a quality experience. The menu had changed slightly since my last visit but it helped to make it more enticing. The sweet choices were excellent. However the home cooked starters and mains were superb and we all enjoyed our choices. My young grandson was welcomed and the half portions just right for him and for me! I shall certainly be returning on my next visit to Keswick.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had Lasagne which was excellent. service was quick, and the staff friendly. the restaurant was always busy when we passed by which is a good sign.

1  Thank Mary J
Reviewed August 18, 2013

On a recent stay in Cumbria, Myself, my wife and three young children walked in off the street after an afternoons walking in the mountains and were very helpfully found a table in what was an already busy restaurant with a great atmosphere. The staff were very polite, could not do too much for you and we all thought the food was very good. In fact the lasagne I would rate as the best I've ever had. Service was swift but not rushed, we were made to feel welcome and for three courses for the children and two for ourselves including drinks less that £60 was not expensive in our opinion. We wiill definitely be returning on our next trip. Thank you.

1  Thank lizardman1