“Excellent meal and service”
Review of Bel Cibo - CLOSED

Bel Cibo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2013

What a delight! The food was tasty and the service was excellent. The waiter frequently checked back, even though he had multiple other tables to serve.
This restaurant deserves to be on the "must" list while in Keswick. With all the wonderful places to eat, it's hard to choose, but I loved this meal.

2  Thank ljb_trips

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Although the food was very nice, we felt the restaurant was rather cold and noticed other diners were keeping, or putting their coats back on. As the restaurant was not busy there was little atmosphere.

2  Thank Dirand
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Recently went here for a meal the food came straight out of a microwave garlic mushrooms were ok main meal was awful no atmosphere and not cheap expected more original Italian food ok if you like pizza which I came make myself

Lucy M, Owner at Bel Cibo, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

At Bel Cibo we are always happy to accept constructive feedback from our customers. We make a point of checking on all our diners so should there be anything we can do to make your experience a more enjoyable one; this can be dealt with at the time quickly and efficiently.

To enable us to deal with your complaint, it would be useful to know when you visited the restaurant, at what time and exactly what you had to eat.

To give the readers a balanced picture, there are some elements of your review I would like to address:

• First of all I can guarantee that under no circumstances is any of our food cooked in the microwave. ALL OUR FOOD IS FRESH AND COOKED FROM SCRATCH.

• The garlic mushrooms are one of our biggest sellers and we have never had a complaint linked to them. However, we cannot account for personal taste.

• With regards to your comment on how expensive our restaurant is, I can tell you that we have painstakingly done our research and we are confident that our prices are lower than any other Italian restaurant in Keswick. You can eat in our restaurant for £10 per head, or you can spend £50 per head, the choice is yours and either way, we are confident that you will enjoy your freshly cooked meal.

It is unfortunate that you didn't enjoy your meal and that this wasn't pointed out to one of our waiting staff at the time. We would have liked the opportunity to sort things out before commenting on review sites.

We would like to take this opportunity to point people to the other reviews on this site which provide a more positive outlook.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I plus our daughter ate here quite recently. The food was very good and the service was quite good too. We ate quite late so there was not much of an atmosphere in the Restaurant. If I were to pick fault it would be with the decor and the menu. Paper napkins on a bare wooden table doesn't do the food any justice, just didn't seem professional, the menu although reasonably priced did not include vegetables, why not provide them as part of the main course, granted you could buy extra portions of salad, chips etc but no veg. Was quite surprised at that. All in all a nice place that needs a tweak or two to bring it up to a better overall standard. Would eat there again

1  Thank Bob123Sing
Lucy M, Owner at Bel Cibo, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you for your comments. The restaurant does need redecorating, but we bought the restaurant at the end of August and therefore have not had the income generated by a full season in order to afford it. We are however looking to do this as soon as possible.

We have already addressed the vegetable situation and our new menus are with the printers at the moment. The new menu does include new potatoes and mange tout.

Many thanks and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Six of us booked a table on Good Friday at 19.30. It took 20 minutes before we even got offered a drink. Some water came with (eventually) 2 glasses, but at least there were enough glasses for the wine. Starter was meant to be a fieldmushroom with goats cheese. I sent it back, because I thought the Chef forgot the mushroom. When it came back I was told that there was one, and yes, when I turned the cheese over I saw this tiny mushroom glued to the bottom. And I mean tiny. Too expensive for a slice of goats cheese. The main courses, although tasty, arrived without cutlery. The last bottle of wine came near the end of the meal instead of the beginning.
Too many things went wrong, and that combined with the pathetic starter did not make for a good evening.

Lucy M, Owner at Bel Cibo, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Please accept our apologies, we are obviously concerned that you did not enjoy your evening. Unfortunately on Good Friday, due to unforeseen personal circumstances on my part, we were short staffed and ended up serving 72 customers. However, under no circumstances do we think that this is an excuse and can only apologise for your wait in ordering your drinks.
The goats cheese starter is always served with a flat cap mushroom and I am confident that on this occasion as with every serving of this dish, that it was a flat cap mushroom and definitely not a field mushroom. Once cooked, the mushroom is sometimes very slightly smaller than the slice of goats cheese, but I could never refer to a flat cap mushroom as being tiny. We have never had a complaint related to this dish, in fact we have had several compliments and it is one of our biggest sellers. If the mushroom is ever stuck to the bottom of the goats cheese, this is simply due to the fact that the goats cheese is grilled to order on top of the mushroom and as cheese melts it does tend to stick.
I am sorry that your main courses arrived before your cutlery did, but I am sure your cutlery was replaced immediately, if not, I apologise and will try and work out a way to make this side of things more of a smooth process.
As for your wine arriving too late, I am sorry and if I had been able to be there, I could have sorted something out for you, or maybe it wouldn't have been late at all as we would have been fully staffed. The staff were over worked and under a lot of pressure in order to help me out; I therefore take full responsibility as the staff are too loyal to automatically take anything off a bill without my consent.
We would all appreciate it if you could find a way to visit us again and get a more true understanding of the kind of service we aim to provide.
Should you want to contact me further, please do not hesitate to call the restaurant or email me through trip advisor.