“excellent - interesting and enjoyable”

Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum
Ranked #18 of 71 things to do in Keswick
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We visited with my wife's parents. The whole site was fascinating with lots of information. We spend a hour or so in the museum and could easily go back. Then we went onto the train ride to quarry - excellent and finished off with a trip down the mine. As an earlier reviewer said it is not a high tech modern attraction, however it is well worth visiting with lots to see and do; and lots of information

There are newer reviews for Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We called today on the way home from a weekend in Keswick.
Wish we had allowed a whole day for the visit to the attraction.The museum alone was worth the visit with wonderful displays including detailed history of quarrying in the area
The train trip to the top of the quarry was excellent, with views of some real jems of vintage quarrying equipment and the opportunity to walk around a small section of the granite quarry.
The mine tour was really enjoyable with a very knowledgeable and friendly guide
Ii is unusual to have a chance to talk with owners of these type of attractions but it was a real pleasure to talk with Ian, the owner, at some length .
Everyone we met was helpful and keen to make sure we enjoyed our visit.
best to bring some walking shoes for the sections of rough ground.
No cafe but there is a DIY tearoom.
the shop has some very reasonably priced, mainly slate or polished stone items
Fabulous views of the fells.
All in all a great place to visit and we will definately be going back again

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was traveling to Keswick and saw the sign for this and thought wow I will have a look, the omens were not good as as I drove up the road to it I nearly killed my car such big pot holes nearly lost a wheel and the road got worse. If you have a low suspension I would not recommend coming here at all

I managed to get there parked up and it looked like a scene from a horror movie, old rusting mining equipment everywhere and it looked like it had seen better days and some very sad looking caravans randomly parked at the back, it was raining heavy which did not help the scene.

I went to the toilets and there was water running down the internal fuse boxs, quickest pee ever.

I went in to the ticket office turned shop to be meet with very unfriendly staff. Got asked What You Want? Now I was thinking they are probably going to push me down the mine and kill me by now.

I stupidly got a ticket to see the museum. What a disappointment, it would make a great film set but not worth a visit very bad.

I then sneaked past the staff and escaped to have a walk around. With my umbrella as a weapon in case a cannibal miners came for me, I looked around nice views of the hills but that's it.

I then made a haste retreat back to my car. Which in my imagination had probably been broken by cannibal miners who want to keep me there.

Luckily they had not got to it so I made a steady and very careful drive out of there. Did not do the underside and suspension of my car much good

I recommend that you do not go here it is really bad, but not the type of bad it's actual good no the bad where it is bad

2  Thank TheUrbanWarrior
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Oh dear. Cheap, decrepit and tatty, our visit rendered interesting only by the hope that the tour guide might be unmasked as a criminal mastermind by Scooby Doo and Shaggy.

1  Thank BogTrotter59
Reviewed August 31, 2013

the mine tour might be a better experience than the train ride. tis was basically a half mile trip past a scrap yard of excavators into what I assume was the quarry with a couple of bits of machinery strategically parked. You get the feeling the train fare is a way of funding what the old blokes like fiddling with in the scrapyard when they get time!

3  Thank Durham_Bloke_UK