- It is the main forte in this place. Everybody is very professional, room cleaning lady is excellent and took care of everything inside. Internet booster everywhere on hallway and thus every room has a good connection.
- Free parking at the public parking if limited lot (only for 5-6 cars) behind the hotel is full. That alone saves you 7GBP/12 hours. Make sure to get a parking permit from front desk.
- Room rate is for "half board" = "B&B" style with breakfast included. Breakfast is plenty. There is cereals and fruit buffet and of course tea. Then, sit down service for full breakfast and enjoy Cumberland sausage/ham/bacon or some fish like Scottish Kipper. Can't be more English than that and must have experience for tourist.
- It can not be better, right on the "Main St" and once you step out this place, restaurants and cheap but good street food are waiting for you.
- They are old and yes, the whole building is old. But furniture and everything is very comfy. I like the old fashioned metal coils in bathroom where you can put your towels to dry fast, really neat.
- No AC but I doubt you will ever need one in Lake district. Just open windows for a few hours when you came back from hiking.
- Very strange tip. Stay at the end of the hallway (i.e. away from the lobby, restaurant) for less noise. First, I was a bit disappointed to carry my bags and go through multiple doors (for fire protection) to reach to my room. But it is really quiet at the end of the hallway.
In summary, I am very happy with the hotel. I was very desperate when I found out that a different hotel I booked many months ahead was cancelled on arrival to Keswick. It was 3-4PM already and the lady from front desk did not take advantage of my misery and gave me a reasonable "half-board" rate which is per room with breakfast, NOT per person.
Tips for International travellers:
- There are definitely more than 9 hotels than listed on TA. King Arm Hotel next to this is also managed by the same owner and a bit cheaper. So shop around, use more Europe based website. Apartments/B & B near the lake are also nice with good view
- Be aware of rate as some small B&B advertises per person rate. Here, if I pay 90GBP/night, that's the final, including taxes plus breakfast. In some B & B, since it is per person rate, it could add up more than what I paid. Moreover, some B & B with low rate will not include breakfast (then why they called themselves B & B?).
- If you book online, rate is usually per room like elsewhere. So per person thing can be excluded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the picturesque market square of Keswick, this hotel is the ideal base to enjoy the area and all it has to offer with stunning lakes and fells on the doorstep. Be welcomed by friendly and attentive staff and enjoy comfortable bedrooms including several family suites and feature rooms. Delicious food is served all day in the conservatory overlooking the square and the cosy lounge bar. In 31 The Square restaurant enjoy the best local ingredients freshly prepared by Head Chef and his team. There is also a quiet resident's lounge and function room. Free parking and WiFi throughout. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, Priceline, LateRooms, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Skiddaw Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.