“Lovely hotel & good food”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel & staff were really nice with the added bonus of being able to take our dog albeit a little pricey for a small dog who doesn't moult so the room wouldn't have taken any more cleaning (certainly not as much as if we'd taken a child!!).
The room was OK, nothing special (probably because we had the dog!) but it was clean. The restaurant served very good food & lovely breakfasts including kippers & smoked haddock which were both delicious.
Unfortunately they do not have a car park but there is a large public car park very close for which we didn't have to pay as we were given a pass.
Beautiful town with great walks from the door, definitely worth a stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea H
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear Andrea H

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed Keswick in general. Keswick is often referred to as "Dogtown" as it is one of the most dog-friendly towns around. We do charge £10 a night for dogs to stay and it could seem pricey if there is hardly any extra cleaning to do but there are other times when there is so much extra to do when a dog is in residents. We don't want to be sizeist when it comes to do dogs, so have just one price. Hopefully you find it is still good value.

There are newer reviews for The Skiddaw Hotel

Reviewed May 31, 2014

At first sight from the public car park behind the hotel we felt disappointed as the hotel looked shabby but we couldn't have been more wrong - it was only disappointing from the rear. The Skiddaw Hotel is decorated in a traditional manner and has been recently refurbished. Our room was a classic double but was quite large, all the furniture and furnishings were new and the bathroom spotless and modern. The bed was large and there were two easy chairs.
We had opted for dinner, bed and breakfast. The dining room is smart, the waiting staff very attentive and friendly and the table d'hotel menu excellent. Plenty of choice for a filling breakfast too and perfectly cooked and always on hot plates.
The front of the hotel is in the pedestrianised area of the shopping centre and has a bar and conservatory.
If you want to visit Keswick and Derwentwater which is a short walk from the hotel, then this hotel is a perfect choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fiddlededee2013

Dear Fiddlededee 2013

Thank you for your lovely review. I couldn't agree with you more, when you said "If you want to visit Keswick and Derwentwater which is a short walk from the hotel, then this hotel is a perfect choice".

We are very lucky to be located right in the centre of town, on the pedestrianised market square, but so close to the lake. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here and hope to see you again before long.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here for the first time on a 2 night break with my husband. The staff were very friendly and the service superb. I upgraded to a classic room which was on the front of the hotel overlooking the main street and the furnishings were of a high quality with a lovely en suite bathroom which was high quality and immaculately clean. We had a very hearty breakfast included and a 5 course evening meal which offered a good selection of courses which were of a very high standard. The food, accommodation, staff and location made this a very enjoyable stay which I hope to repeat as soon as possible.

Room Tip: The front rooms which we had were reputably noisy, but we stayed Wednesday and Thursday evenings and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RittyDurham

Dear RittyDurham

I am very glad you had such an enjoyable stay and that you will be back to stay with us again. As you mentioned we have some lovely rooms at the front of the hotel, overlooking the market square and for the vast majority of the time any noise from there at night doesn't cause any disturbance and it does provide a lovely view of the daily activities on Keswick's market square.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Spent 3 nights 15-18 May here. It is 3 years since I last stayed here, and 6 years since I first stayed.
The decor & furnishings are, in my opinion, superb for this standard of hotel.
The food and service are impeccable. Some of the staff were there 6 years ago - now that says something about the management and job satisfaction.
I met the manager. He had a big smile on his face every time I saw him. His staff were always cheery and helpful.
I have always been lucky to have a room towards the rear of the hotel (even if it is a hike - I don't mind), but I know there are occassional issues regarding noise from outside if staying in a front room - what do you expect from a town centre hotel on a pedestrianised area.

I attended an 'official' function in the Great Suite of the hotel one evening. The menu offered several choices for each of 4 courses. They only asked for our choices when we were seated at our tables, yet the service was quick & efficient (nice to see the Manager actually serving at table, helping and working well with his staff). I do not know how the Chef & his kitchen staff manage to do such a good job. Lovely food.

No question - I will be back whenever I wish to stay in the Kewick area

Room Tip: As long as you can deal with stairs & corridors, ask for a room not at the front. There is a li...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank pantastic1

Dear Pantastic1

Thank you very much for your very complimentary review. I am especially happy that you had such an enjoyable stay and hope that it might be less than 3 years until your next visit.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a nice old hotel right in the middle of Keswick. The hotel's staff were really friendly and helpful. The decor in our room was fine, the bathroom looked like it'd been recently refurbished. Parking wasn't a problem: we were given a permit for the public car park at the rear of the hotel and we always found a space there.

Reading the other reviews, I'd say that the complaints about noise in rooms at the front are accurate and that the hotel shouldn't really attempt to say that describing the town as "bustling" is fair warning. Our room (on the 2nd floor, at the front) had secondary double glazing but the bellowing drunks on Friday and Saturday night were still audible through it. I'd brought my own earplugs which let me sleep, but if it had been warm and I'd wanted the windows open, I'd've been stuck, as there's no air conditioning in the rooms. I did think Keswick would be quieter. If the sports bar at the side is owned by the hotel, they're not helping.

The evening meal on half board was variable. We had some nice meals some nights and some poorer ones on others. After one of those, we used the "dine around" facility to eat in the Italian place down the passageway to the side of the hotel (near the infamous sports bar), which was great, so we kept coming back. The owner got so used to us coming there that he gave us free drinks on our last night, which was a nice touch.

I think next time if I were up in Keswick for walking and wanting to get started earlier, I'd stay somewhere quieter. If noise doesn't bother you, though, you get a place with character and good service.

Room Tip: Read the other tips: you will get noise at the front and at the side near the sports bar.
5  Thank Paul W

Dear Paul W

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay. I'm glad that you liked the room, location and especially the friendly staff. One of the best things about The Skiddaw Hotel is it's location right in the centre of Keswick with it's lovely shops, bars and market. As with most town centre's we do get people out "enjoying" themselves at night which can be noisy. To mitigate this noise we have got double and secondary glazing which works very well, if the windows are closed properly.

I do hope you stay with us again and we can allocate a room towards the back, which is generally very quiet.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed here at Easter but this was not our first time as we love this hotel. The location is ideal for car parking, bus services, town centre and for walks from the door. Our room was very clean and the toiletries and hospitality items were all of good quality and plentiful to our needs but the staff have been very obliging if ever we did ask for anything. The service and food in both the dining room and bar was good and the staff as usual all really friendly and helpful. I do not agree with any of the negative reports about this hotel on T.A. We are definitely returning.

Dear Aud_D

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to know that you had a good time and that we will get to see you again, hopefully quite soon. All of us at The Skiddaw enjoy welcoming guests but we particularly love it when our regular guests are back for another visit.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We've been to Skiddaw Hotel many times, we spent this Easter there and we always find the reception staff very friendly - polite and helpful and also the waiting on staff even when they are very busy, the food is very good and plenty of it - we always book half board.
I always find the rooms are spotless and cleaned every day. I can't find any fault with the hotel and it's good value for money saying it's only a 3* hotel plus you have free car parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Dear Sheila R

Thank you very much for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed another lovely break in the Lakes and we all hope to welcome you back again soon.