“Lovely stay - shame about the disco”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed at the Skiddaw Hotel on 7th to 10th February 2014, and the break was a relaxing break to help me recover after some surgery - so we were looking for a relaxing break in the centre of Keswick.
Let me first say that having stayed at two other Lakeland hotels (the Lodore falls, Keswick and the George in Penrith, this hotel provides the high standard I would expect from this hotel group.
The room was spotless, lovely toiletries, bottled water and both breakfast and dinner were faultless. The staff were cheery and helpful, and when I booked and explained we were looking for a quite and relaxing break, the staff could not be more helpful. The décor in the hotel is charming and in keeping with the lake district. The only problem we had was that on the Saturday evening, we had been told that there was a function on, and that there would be a little noise from it which would stop at 12.30. We have stayed at many hotels which hold functions and have never found the noise that intrusive so we did not expect to have any problem. However, when the disco started at 9pm and continued to 12 midnight, what we should have been told was that we would be able to join the party without leaving our room. In fact, we could hear the music so clearly that my husband gave up trying to watch tv and started to sing along to the Proclaimers!! Whilst the choice of music wasn't the problem, we did find it very very intrusive, and when I complained to reception, she did say that the manager would ask the DJ to turn the music down (which I don't think happened as the noise level didn't change). I did advise the reception staff the next day that I would have preferred to have been told up front that the music would be very loud in our room at which point I would have been able to ask for a room change. I would still go back to the Skiddaw Hotel as I did not have the chance to sample the much praised afternoon tea, but I would make sure that the room wasn't near the function room (our room was no. 61 right above the function room apparently). Overall the weekend wasn't spoiled, but it did spoil that particular evening.

Room Tip: Check your room is not above the function room, and if they are, check that there is not a function...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sneephoo
There are newer reviews for The Skiddaw Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Nice hotel in the centre of town. The hotel does nice lunch meals and at night time it is nice just to sit in the bar area and watch the world go by. The town is great at night too. Great for old ales with a lot of walkers staying at the hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed here mid January as a single traveller. I asked for and got a lovely room, not poky, tiny, as is often the case for single traveller. My room was at the back and really quiet. Slight problem with shower fixed immediately. The hotel is absolutely in the centre of town and the front conservatory is a great place to sit and watch the world go by. I found the staff particularly friendly, which helped create a warm and pleasant atmosphere. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: My room at the back quiet, but did not have wi fi access.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank aloramaria
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We've stayed here a couple of times now and tend to book a Prestige room as they're a little nicer; we also got a free afternoon tea with each booking which is very nice BUT at busy periods in the summer you can't always get what you want. If this is the case speak to the head waiter and he will ensure it is kept for you.
The service was good, the parking can be an issue as there are only a few spaces available directly outside the hotel but they do provide a voucher for the car park just behind them. The room was clean and fresh but they are a little small, but this is all we need after a days walking or touring. Overall a good hotel but it can be a little over priced at times so shop around for the best deals

Room Tip: Prestige are nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff who are always happy to help. Got a free upgrade to a prestige room as soon as we checked in without asking. I have to agree with other reviews about how rushed dinner is served up -all 4 courses done in just over an hour.2nd night a bit longer as restaurant was chocka.Great location in town square-was a bit noisy sat morning with the market stalls setting up at 7am.Would go back despite small negatives.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Location of hotel is excellent. Staff very friendly and rooms beautifully clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good but I agree with a previous review about staff clearing plates away too quickly making the dining experience very rushed. We had a special offer of dinner included on first night of stay but to be honest I wouldn't bother to have a main meal in the hotel again. The food was ok but nothing special. My Only real criticism is the lack of internet connection in rooms. Despite telling reception three times it was only on the second day we got intermittent connection if you hung out of the window or stood in the passage. A hotel of this standard should have wifi in all rooms. All in all though a nice hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shepherdess12450
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Lovely rooms, staff exceptional throughout the hotel. we stayed on Boxing Day 2013. There was entertainment on in the bar area, which was good. Only one criticism was at dinner, where the meals came fast and furious, but we could have asked for time between meals. So our fault really. Oh and the weather was bad which stopped the tv from working.We have stayed in four hotels in Keswick and this was far the best, although we did have a nicer meal in one of them. All in all would be our first choice.

Room Tip: We stayed in one up from the standard which was great.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple