“Restaurant very poor value.”
Review of The Skiddaw Hotel

The Skiddaw Hotel
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We have used this hotel on a number of occasions and have usually been reasonably happy.On our recent visit with other family members,who were using it on our reccommendation,we booked an evening meal.We ordered the fillet steak,medium rare,(extra supplement).We were served an overcooked rump steak,waitress told us they had run out of fillet,we hadn't been advised of this.Asked to see manager,he told us fillet was not on menu,which it was,could'nt provide any kind of explanation,a lot of sorry's.Did'nt charge for the meals which we did'nt have but in the morning on booking out they appeared on the bill,a lot of sorry's again,disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience at the Skiddaw Hotel. I'm very sorry that your evening meal was disappointing. There was an error on the menu that evening as we had printed fillet steak but were serving sirloin, a bad error, for which I apologised and didn't charge you for the steaks. I trust you enjoyed the rest of your stay both at the hotel and in Keswick in general and hope that if you stay with us again you'll only have good comments to post.

Reviewed March 13, 2011

Just returned from another visit to the Skiddaw - probably about our 7th now. Stayed in 63 for the second time and loved every minute. The food was excellent and the staff also. We love the town centre location where you can walk straight out onto the square without having to get your car out. Will def return - can't wait

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your lovely comments after spending a few days with us. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, it was a pleasure to meet you. I hope to see you again very soon and that the weather is as nice.

Reviewed February 13, 2011

Just returned after 1st visit to Keswick, booked a summitt room as a birthday surprise for my hubby. After viewing the hotel website and looking at the photos of the lovely modern rooms I opted for the summitt which promised recently refurbished with extra luxuries, we never found the robes and the decor was quite old fashioned not recent at all, although was nice and clean. I enquired at reception to make sure we had been allocated a summitt room and she assured me it was(room 14) It was a little disappointing and I expected alot better for the money we paid £100 for 1 night bed and breakfast. Other reviewers have mentioned location which is excellent but I have stayed in much nicer rooms for alot less in lovely locations. I would like to add that most of the staff were very polite and helpful but the bar staff were not very attentive and in no hurry to serve customers.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and think favourably enough of it to be able to recommend us to a friend. I am very sorry that your room didn't meet your expectations though. The room you stayed in is a Summit room but the room classification is based more on size and amenities than the date of refurbishment. We have Standard, Summit and Deluxe rooms and we are continuously updating and refurbishing our rooms, regardless of catagory, with the 4 newest ones being completed just before Christmas. We are proud of all our rooms and since we have 43 rooms, which are all different in some way, we have only featured a selection (3) on our website which are neither the "oldest" nor the most recently refurbished.

Thank you again for your stay and for taking time to share your experience of it.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights after New Year. We had an upgrade to a Deluxe Room (No 63). The room had been renovated and was more contemporary than the rest of the hotel which is a little jaded but clean.. We knew we were compromising views as it is bang in the centre of Keswick which suited our needs more but there was a glimpse of one hill from one window which was an unexpected bonus. The room had a raised mezzanine seaing area with a large wall mounted led tv and was well sized. The bed was very comfy with a mattress topper and it was very clean. It was also incredibly quiet. The bathroom had a shower and a bath. Breakfasts were good and the staff were very friendly and professional.. On the first nights dinner we overheard a waitress checking the veggie requirements of a fellow diner to which the diner agreed and then denied she had ordered the checked dish & then refused her second dish....poor staff

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
SkiddawGM, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Thank you very much for staying at the Skiddaw and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Room 63 is one of our deluxe rooms and was refurbished 2 years ago to the very high standard which you mentioned. Since then we've continued the refurbishment program with the 4 newest rooms completed in December.

I also appreciated your observation of a tricky encounter you witnessed at dinner. A day in the life of a waitress can be "interesting", rarely dull.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2010

My wife and myself booked in with 5 friends. We phoned twice regarding parking with a
trailer. We were told no problems. On arriving on Friday evening asked again and was told it was alright and was issued with a Parking Permit for the public car park behind the hotel. For this I had to leave a bond of £295. I managed to get a space with the car and trailer within the White lines that evening. We left at 8am before the wardens were about. Returned that evening to find that all the double places that lined up were occupie. I ended up with the car within one bay but the trailer was over two bays as they
did not line up. Was booked at 08:54 on Sunday morning. We left at 09:30. I protested with the Hotel and the parking authorities. The Hotel does not answer my E mail.
The parking authorities told me that I would need two permits to park the trailer. I would have had to leave £590 bond. Otherwise apart from noise. The Hotel had a disco on the Saturday night but the music was nice. Our stay was very nice. The room was reasonable and although slow the service in the restraunt was pleasent. The package was very reasonable priced which attracted us and the hotels ability to provide 4 rooms.
It is a shame that keswick cannot sort out the parking situation and allow a small amount of the common -, to give a complete package for visitors without fear and strain regarding parking. This is done on the continent.
I will not be returning to Keswick and I suspect most of my friend will not.

Yours faithfully

C.G.Holmes
South Shields

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
JakeHunt, General Manager at The Skiddaw Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2010

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your comments following your stay with us. It is very regrettable that your parking fine on the Sunday ruined your whole weekend and even more regrettable that it totally dominates your review of the hotel and your stay here. As mentioned in my e-mail to you, I've been in contact with the Borough Council who are the authority that own and operate the carpark for which we prebuy parking permits. The permits that we issue do have some guidance on which reads as follows :

The Hotel and it’s Management cannot accept any Responsibility for parking tickets received following failure to follow the below instructions.
- You are parked only in a bay reserved for cars
- You are parked wholly within the white lines defining each bay
- You have displayed your ticket or Hotel parking permit
Guidance for parking is displayed at the pay and display ticket point.
WARNING Please do not park under the tree if possible (MESSY)

Whilst I understand that it is a bit boring to read all these guidance notes, it is an attempt to ensure our guests do not get a parking ticket.

When I inquired at the Allerdale Borough Council they told me that they would normally fine a vehicle and trailer if it covers more than 1 bay, but that the Parking Wardens possibly turned a blind eye on the first evening as only 2 bays were used but when 3 bays were used on the following night they did fine you. I asked them why they referred you back to the hotel as we have no jurisdiction over the car park or their enforcement of it because I know that it must be quite annoying for you, but they didn’t comment.

Yours faithfully

Neels Ferreira

Reviewed November 18, 2010

I started planning my wedding at the Skiddaw hotel in November 2009, the wedding planner Amanda and the deputy manager Des were fantastic. They put up with me changing my mind and nothing was too much trouble. Finally the big day arrived all the staff were very helpful, the food was very tasty and best of all everything ran smoothly. I was so pleased that i chose the Skiddaw to host my wedding, i could not have asked for a better venue.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed November 8, 2010

A good if unexceptional hotel, which did its job for a weekend in Keswick very well.
Great location, right on the pedestrianised Town Square, with spacious public rooms inc Residents Lounge and large conservatory leading from main bar.
Helpful and efficient receptionist on check-in, and pleasant staff throughout.
On expressing our concerns re noise levels (ie TripAdvisor) from function room + club + morning market, she offered us a choice of rooms with a helpful smile.
We chose Room 12, a smart newly-fitted average-sized room with standard double bed, two chairs and stylish newly-fitted bathroom with excellent shower over bath with screen.
Window had double glazing, no view (except over inner lightwell) – but no noise whatsoever. Fine nights’ sleep resulted.
We did not use bar or restaurant, but breakfast was excellent – with very enjoyable Cumbrian full hot breakfast included in average room rate.
Parking was a cinch : the hotel has 5 private parking slots by rear door (ideal for luggage offloading), but also provided large all-day ‘parking permits’ for the adjacent public Car Park – which has trigger-happy Wardens. Admirable solution.
A pleasant surprise, given so many critical reviews on TripAdvisor. Well worth a try, but if you're a light sleeper, ask for a quiet room when booking.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple