“Best steak ever”

Bank Tavern
Ranked #26 of 129 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Pub
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Best steak ever”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband doesn't really rate pub grub, but we were late arriving in Keswick on Friday night and just wanted a pub tea. This pub is very cosy, very popular, we only just managed to get a table. We ordered steaks, me with jet potato and my husband with chips. The waiter said it would be 20 mins or so but it was much quicker than that an they come on a sizzling platter, everything kept piping hot. The staff, the service and the food and choice of wine was second to none! In fact we tried again on the Saturday but couldn't get a table, we were very disappointed. Next time we are in Keswick in July we will be sure to get in there early doors!

1 Thank michellejayne45

Scotland
“Great pub food”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Not my first visit to the Bank Tavern and won't be my last. As always the staff are friendly and the food is superb. After a day wandering through the hills the Bank Tavern is a great place to sit down, unwind and enjoy the atmosphere and a good bowl of chilli.

1 Thank crazycelt
Renfrewshire
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Varied menu , good pub grub , although veg still the same as 20 years ago but reasonable prices and something to suit all tastes didn't like the chicken curry but gammon fine

1 Thank Morag G
Blackpool
“Always very friendly welcome”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This Tavern has an excellent atmosphere the staff are always very friendly. With an excellent choice of beer. What ever time you visit be it afternoon or evening there is always an excellent atmosphere.

1 Thank Robert T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“uninspiring menu and mediocre food”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have eaten at the Bank Tavern three times now in the last few weeks. In the first instance I ordered the trout. The trout itself was very enjoyable although the rest of the plate was very ordinary.

However, my experience yesterday and the previous Sunday left a lot to be desired.

Last Sunday I ordered the Lamb roast dinner. Very ordinary, in fact what I was served could quite easily have been a frozen dinner from Iceland. My overwhelming thought was that if faced with these two options it would have been very difficult to tell which was which. I may be wrong but there was nothing on my plate that convinced me the food had been freshly prepared.

I returned yesterday, and being convinced that the food is microwaved rather than prepared fresh it really limits the choice on the menu. I did consider the cod and chips but was advised against this by a friend. I was told that this wasn't a piece of cod dipped in batter and fried. This was more like the frozen battered fish portions you can buy in your local supermarket.

In the end I opted for the char grilled burger. Big mistake. The menu states that the main courses come with chips/jacket/boiled or mash potatoes. In my error I assumed that I could have chips with my burger. No, no, no... and handful of tortilla chips and and small tub of salsa. I assumed there would be chips because the burger was over £8 in price. Again, my error. This was a McDonalds saver menu quality burger, but at Handmade Burger Co. prices.

This last experience did leave me feeling a bit of a mug. I was told I could pay extra for chips if I would like, but what I would like is value for money - not even good value for money, just to come away not feeling ripped off.

The beer is fine at the Bank. Just read something other than the menu when you are supping.

3 Thank AndyRudge