“Wonderful summer break”

The Keswick Country House Hotel
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Keswick
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Returned for yet another lovely break at this charming hotel where you are always given a warm friendly welcome wether it's your first visit or umpteenth visit like ours.

The rooms are very well appointed and tastefully decorated and a well stocked hospitality tray replenished daily with everything you could need.
Lovely bathrooms with either full bath and shower over or lovely separate shower unit lovely fluffy towels and toiletries too.

If it's a special occasion we upgrade to a superior room but the standard rooms are lovely you just don't get the chocolates and water in your room.

The food is certainly 4 star restaurant standard and we are always amazed at the wonderful menu choices available every visit.

Lovely comfortable lounge and separate well stocked bar area too.

As we were the during the lovely hot weather it was lovely to enjoy the beautiful grounds and gardens and have a pre dinner drink. There is also a pitch and put and croquet lawn to enjoy.

Can't wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 317 had two windows one with stunning views over Lattrigg
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank carolandRoger
There are newer reviews for The Keswick Country House Hotel

Reviewed July 30, 2014

I have stayed here several times over the past few years on business trips. The hotel has a number of pluses; it is centrally located to the town of Keswick which means you can park and walk. The staff are polite and friendly and the spacious restaurant serves good food. The surrounding fells provide a wonderful backdrop and from observation, people who are serious walkers tend to favour the hotel as it's a good place to come back to at the end of a tiring day.
As a business traveller, I have found the hotel very convenient and a restful base.
On the minus side, they cater for coach tours which means that some nights the place seems crowded. Also, the standard rooms look tired and in need of a refurb. (There are not many hotels these days where the shower works off the main system where you go from freezing to scalding in seconds!) If they could spruce the rooms up it would make a significant difference.
But overall a definite recommend for convenience and cost.

Room Tip: Overlooking the gardens which has the bets views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Coffs51
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Another lovely relaxing stay at this lovely old hotel. Others mention dated rooms, but the cleanliness, friendliness and standard of food mares this hardly noticeable. We will be back very soon to enjoy another relaxing break

Room Tip: Looking on to car park is good, looking on to lawned gardens are excellent, depends on how much you...
2  Thank NorthYorkshireElsie
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Fabulous hotel and wonderful staff and food is delicious we had a fab two night stay in a junior suite which I would definitely recommend so spacious and comfortable such a relaxing environment and beautiful grounds and resident rabbits ! you wont be disappointed

Room Tip: junior suites very spacious
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traceypen
Reviewed July 21, 2014

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. First Impressions were good, grand old building and a polite, helpful reception. Then it all started to go downhill.

Upon entering the lift I havd absolutely no confindence we'd make it up the 2 floors because it looked so neglected. Thankfully an incident lift ride progressed onto the lift opening onto a very, very tired looking hall way. Upon finding our room we entered to find ourselves magically transported to a Travel lodge or Premier Inn....... except this room felt like it hadn't been updated in any way shape of form in 10 years (addding a flat screen TV does not count).

We paid £142 per night for this room and if I'm honest if we'd have paid half the price it still would have been too expensive. The room was very small, the bed was lumpy, the decor was tired and didn't fill me with confidence it was totally clean (the dead fly that was still splattered on the window gave me an indication of how throughly the rooms are cleaned). The floor was particularly amusing as it sloped downwards away from the window and when I put the room key on the table it slide off onto the floor...... the couple of times I turned away when standing at the window I actually felt like I'd had a drink and was losing my balance !! The furniture was not of a standard expected for a hotel that is charging what this hotel is, it looked like cheap, lamenated tat (maybe Travel lodge had a flash sale of old furniturre ?)

Onto the bathroom...... Once again, just a poor level of finish. There was a hole in the shower curtain. The plastic the shower was made of had turned yellow (I am assuming through age) and the sink and cistern surround looked like it was made of chipboard with a lamenate covering. Really not what you would expect at this price point.

The next point I think we were just unlucky on but if you have someone above your room that likes to walk around you will be hearing every creak and footstep ( we were in room 203 btw). Like I said, I think we were unlucky on this point.

Breakfast was definitely a plus point, the full english was lovely. With a variety of pastries, cereals and juices available.

The location is perfect, I used to attend the boarding school in Keswick and I used this hotel on the recommendation of my mother who used it when visiting me during term time and it really feels like this hotel is trading of past glories.

I would actually go as far as to say i was insulted by the price that we had to pay, £426 for a 3 night stay plus £11.90 for a couple of lunches we ordered. On this point, this lunches were okay but when they say its chicken with mayo, this they actaully mean its mayo with a hint of chicken. I only managed half of the ciabatta before I had to throw it away.

So in conclusion, the only redeeming qualities about this hotel are the staff, breakfast and the location. The room we had was shockingly bad and massively over priced. Would I stay here again ? I think I'd rather have a night camping up Skiddaw.

One more thing...... don't expect any wifi in room 203, infact don't expect wifi anywhere except within 3m of the reception desk.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel, only advise I can give.
5  Thank Ryan D
Reviewed July 20, 2014

This historic hotel lived up to the generally very positive reviews: it has an old world feel to it -partly from its history, partly from the rather tired décor - and is traditional in offering good value, good food and a relaxing ambiance. Our room was spacious and comfortable, albeit a lengthy stroll through the building's labyrinth of corridors and stairs. It faced to the rear with views to the hills, but given the hotel's quiet surroundings it was probably no less quiet than any other rooms. In common with all the windows they were single glazed and ours were ill-fitting; no problem in summer but would surely be cold and draughty in winter.
It's hardly in the country, but has extensive grounds for its size; these are mainly enjoyed by rabbits from mid-afternoon to early evening. A five-minute walk takes you to Keswick's bustling centre, with lots of shops, restaurants and pubs. The lake is quite a bit further away but is worth a visit for a boat trip or a rowing boat on Derwentwater. Right beside the hotel is the old railway station which the hotel was built to serve, and which now is the start of a most enjoyable 4-mile walk along the old railway line to nearby Threlkeld.
The most notable feature of the hotel was the food: breakfasts were decent for a 3-star hotel, but the dinners were definitely 4-star, served by efficient, pleasant and hard-working staff. You get great value if you book at an all-inclusive rate, and it would be hard to find as good an experience elsewhere in the northern lakes. We would certainly return.

Room Tip: The largest rooms are in an annexe that was the old station building, with a residents' lounge w...
1  Thank PMDGlasgow
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We spent one night here in June, I wouldn't normally stay in a hotel like this but it was a busy weekend and the only room I could find. We were there to support a friend on a long distance run so we didn't eat or drink, though the bar looked great. The room was up and down a few steps and landings, and quite a good size, very cosy. Bathroom was a bit tired, but clean and the shower was good. Huge breakfast buffet, and the dining room was massive, really airy and spacious.

Location is good, short walk from Keswick's main street, and Next time we are there I'd like to make more of the hotel's facilities, as it was we checked in (helpfully they arranged early check in for us) and went straight out and got back about ten o clock and went straight to bed.

One odd thing, no nets or blinds in the room, so for privacy you had to draw the thick curtains resulting in total gloom!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
#12 of 17 in Keswick
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castlerigg

Been to The Keswick Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!