“Nice food, strange service....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lunch

Lunch
Ranked #83 of 128 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating
Description: We are a sandwich shop with tables. We do not provide table service.
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
“Nice food, strange service....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Visited here on the hottest day of the year so far. We're pleasantly surprised to find that the price for an average sandwich or panini is £4.95 to eat in, or sit outside or £3.95 to take away. Compared to its neighbours that's pretty good value for money! Anyhow, 2 sausage sandwiches, 1 pulled pork, 1 bacon and Brie panini, 1 tuna mayo baguette and 1 Swiss cheese and ham baguette ordered via the very blunt and to the point hostess! Very strange customer service. All sandwiches should have come with side salad however some did, some didn't! The food however was very nice and I would definitely eat here again however a little more TLC from the staff would not go a miss. I'm not saying they we're rude or even funny with us they just weren't particularly friendly.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Paul C
plywoodtheunhinged, Owner at Lunch, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Once again for the umpteenth time, we are just a sandwich shop with tables. It is good, cheap and fast. If you want more then go elsewhere!

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Good food! Strange customer service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

We fancied a quick lunch and decided to sit outside in the warm sun. I ordered our two meals and drinks. I was given three tickets covering each item, this meant that each meal arrived 10 minutes apart with drinks arriving at the end of our meal. I was told this was because they are made in different parts of the kitchen. It must be huge. A few tweaks would improve the whole experience.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank andyandkaths
plywoodtheunhinged, Owner at Lunch, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. Since you were good enough not to be rude I will reciprocate. We are a sandwich shop with tables and have a kitchen up stairs and one down stairs. We are not a restaurant hence you pay a very low price for very good quality food. If you want everything at the same time then go to a restaurant and pay £15/head as opposed to getting a steak sandwich for £4.50 or a plate of pulled pork for the same. The idea that your meals were staggered by 10 minutes is nonsense and a ridiculous exaduration. If you liked our food then please come back; if you have an issue with our service, then don't !
Wilmslow
“Great ciabattas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Wandered up and down the town looking for sandwiches to take away, and this shop looked the likeliest. Menu with lots of choices and a daily special (which I wish had I bought!). When I initially chose a hot sandwich, I was very nicely warned that it would take a little while to heat. I chose a different item, which was then freshly made upstairs. It did take a little while but only a few minutes. The query I had about the ciabattas midway through the process was answered very nicely. But the main result -- a mozzarella/basil/sundried tomato ciabatta and a hummus/falafel ciabatta -- justified any wait. They were superb -- the ciabattas were very high quality, the salad was excellent, and the flavour of the falafels was great. Would definitely recommend.

• Visited April 2014
plywoodtheunhinged, Owner at Lunch, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. Good reviews are always welcome and we really do not set off tick anyone off and we always try our hardest to please. Thank you again.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Rude, miserable place to waste your time and money whilst on a weekend break!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

After visiting 'Lunch' in the past and receiving greasy, tasteless hot sandwiches and panini's and the horrendous service why we chose to give this place another chance on this visit is beyond me, but hey.. I like to think I'm one that believes in 'everyone deserves a second chance' anyways, we visited this cafe again in March and again recieved the same terrible service! The lady behind the till was one of the rudest women I have come across, couldn't crack a smile and everything we requested was answered with a huff and a puff, she obviously didn't enjoy her job and should NOT be working with the public! After the greasy hot goods we recieved last time we decided to stay safe and take some cold sandwiches off the shelf, which I must admit we're the average sandwich- tasted ok! We also had coffee with our lunch and unfortunately, this was not coffee you may aswell of scooped up a mug of dirty old dishwater. One word of advice, don't be fooled by the fancy coffee machine, it may look fancy but the operator clearly didn't know how to use the thing properly. Considering the majority of staff in this establishment were older they showed no respect or friendliness towards the customers. I for one will not be returning, nor recommending this place to anybody else. Steer Clear!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank JanieTaylor
plywoodtheunhinged, Manager at Lunch, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Once again it is hard to respond to the same nonsense. We do not do table service! I repeat, we do not do table service. Our food is good freshly prepared fair but we are only a sandwich shop with tables and WE DO NOT DO TABLE SERVICE. If you want this then go to a restaurant or café where you will pay twice the amount. I am sorry you did not like us and you are right, our staff should smile despite you obviously not reading the numerous signs and messages on the menu. Please call again, preferably when we are closed.
“Cant understand bad reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I cant understand the bad reviews for this great little spot. I have visited this shop many times over past year or two and enjoyed every visit, last one being yesterday with my one year old daughter, who they had no problem letting her run round the shop. The staff are great, can always have a great chat and laugh, and the food delicious, plus very good value for money. I would strongly suggest people not to take notice of the bad reviews and go and see for yourself what a great place this is :-)

2 Thank kim2991
plywoodtheunhinged, Owner at Lunch, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, it is appreciated by me and my staff.