“cow pie , for hungry people”
Review of The George

The George
Ranked #31 of 155 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Excellent Pub Food in the heart of Keswick. Comfortable restaurant as well as bar food
Reviewed March 13, 2013

stopped for a meal here in march 13. very nice pub which also has a seperate restaurant area. spotted the size of the cow pie and decided to try for myself, enormous portion and i am a big eater. tender beef filled to the brim . if your not a big eater dont order to much as portions are very big, just the way i like it. shame to see so many people leaving so much food simple because they could not eat it all. highly reccomended.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,542)

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

A chef on holiday needs a pub and the George hit the bill! Great cocker hoop ale half portion of 'cow pie' very filling and very succulent! Steak just fell apart and nice pastry too!!our chocy lab loved the open fire in the area digs are allowed my missus had two starters as didn't really fancy their main course veggie option but two starters filled her! We left happy nice bar staff, friendly and defo worth a visit!we will be back! Keep it up!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

on a recent short stay in keswick we had our evening meal at the george hotel a friend had recomende i try the famouse george cow pie
we found a table next to a roaring open fire it was bitter cold outside we got drinks and orderd the lamb for my wife and cow pie for me you can have a whole pie or a half pie i opted for a half a wise choice as it turned out
the lamb arrived on bed of mash with veg and lots of gravy my wife informed me it was red hot and deliciouse my pie arrived with chips and veg as rquested it was a huge wedge of pie stuffed with chunks of lean beef and loads of gravy it tasted great
i didnt quite finish it but would recomend anyone to try

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

After reading other reviews and due to having a week full of celebrations we needed a venue for a get together, good value and good homemade food, staff were friendly, venue ok. Food was very contrasting. My 17 month granddaughters chicken nuggets and chips looked mouth watering! They came on a adult plate (£6) but she enjoyed them. Garlic mushroom starters were to die for, main courses hit and miss, some lovely majority barely adequate. Chips frozen, scrap ends (stated homemade) Rump steak, lovely, sirloin poor. Chicken dry, Eight and toddler, £ 250.00 pounds.
I would not eat here again, sorry, the people who had the pies, food looked good.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

In the middle of the town you'll find the George, which I was told had a bit of a reputation for a good pie.Rumours were not wrong. If you a like a large meal start with the "half portion" of the pie! Sensational. Accompanied by a great selection of vegetables. Good atmosphere with a mix of locals and visitors, dog friendly and carrying a great selection of beers. Take trousers with expanding waistbands.