“Best green curry ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dayville, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best green curry ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our best meal in Keswick, hands down. Also, the best Thai meal I've had -- ever -- including Thai meals in Bangkok, Phuket, London, New York, etc. Incredible perhaps that such high quality Thai cooking can be found in this Lake District B & B restaurant, but the truth is in the tasting. Five stars!!

1 Thank rljuss

Shardlow, Derbyshire
“Superb Thai in a family setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

What's not to like about A Taste of Thailand? As it is the front room of a B&B you'd expect it to be a rather multifunctional place which, I suppose it is, but the decor is very sympathetically and subtly Thai-themed; so should you be a B&B guest eating your corn flakes of a morning, you wouldn't feel out of place; similarly, an evening guest should feel suitably accommodated.

The food, I have to say, was superb; both in quality and value. Host Richard was on hand to advise on choice of dish and help with how hot the more spicy meals might be. I was glad to take his advice, as when ordering the excellent Gaeng Ped I hinted that I was comfortable with Madras-style heat - "medium, then" was his reply. It was spot on!

The menu consisted of a limited number of dishes, both familiar and new (to us), which gave the kitchen chance to shine rather than being a jack of all trades. Such a shame that we weren't staying longer, as I'd have loved to try more of the menu.

Take your own beer or wine if your inclined to have alcohol, as they don't have a drinks licence. Personally I don't see this as a problem, it just requires a little forethought.

On the whole, we'll definitely visiting again when we return to Keswick.

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
“Really good thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Friendly welcome, good service and really tasty authentic thai food. Reasonably priced and the ability to take your own drink works well (small corkage charge, which is fine).

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Barry H
cumbria
“fantastic food again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The OH and I ate at shemara again on friday 5th july. Once again the food was fantastic.
We had dropped our wine off earlier in the day for Richard and Fon to put in the fridge for us, and we were shown to our table which was in the window looking over the car park.
We both chose the salmon and prawn fish cakes as our starter. they were gorgeous !!!!
I had the Thai green curry with chicken, Richard asked how i liked it, and i said hot, which i got.
it was exactly how i wanted it. I said to Fon later that her thai green curry is the best that i have eaten anywhere.
Linda loves the Tom Yum goong soup, which she got as her main meal. excellent again !!!

I just wish that we lived nearer, so that we could go more often.

“A hidden gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Have stayed at Shemara guesthouse in Keswick before and been very impressed with the hospitality, rooms and breakfasts on offer. Saw that they now serve Thai meals in the evening so just had to give it a try. Very glad I did!

The food was served promptly and very nicely, and was simply delicious. Overall costs were kept reasonable as you take your own alcohol and just pay a small corkage fee, so much cheaper than buying wine by the glass or bottle in a restaurant.

You can book to eat as a resident or non-resident, so I would thoroughly recommend it.

1 Thank Terry28966