“Great Pub Experience in Keswick/Lakes District”
Review of The Dog and Gun

The Dog and Gun
Ranked #22 of 141 Restaurants in Keswick
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We arrived at the Dog & Gun early on a Wednesday (around 5'ish) and enjoyed a roasted chicken/potato-special that was so delicious and such a good value that I couldn't believe we were still in England! (Sorry...but eating "out" for the USA-budget-travelers is ridiculously expensive while traveling in England!! One is made aware very early on, as to how worthless the US $ is when traveling ...but this "pub" was an exceptional value on this particular evening and I would recommend a early visit if traveling early in the week.)

Write a ReviewReviews (2,189)

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Visited this pub after reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor....was very disappointed...cramped and smelt of wet dog. I understand that for dog owners it probably will be fine but certainly for those of us without four legged friends it was a very strong aroma and we only stayed for one beer and left without eating, although the menu did look very limited. Certainly worth a visit if you have a dog with you as they are extremely dog friendly but for those of you who aren't or don't particularly like dogs then its a steer clear I'm afraid!

2  Thank Paul L
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our meal here tonight! Although we were prepared to wait we were luckily enough to get a table more or less straight away but unfortunately we did not realise that there was a couple ahead of us,we apologised profusely and they were very understanding as I am disabled. I had the sausages and very tasty they were too,my husband had the Thai Curry which he thoroughly enjoyed. Only one disappointment,they don't serve desserts which in a way is understandable because of the wait for tables. Going back tomorrow as the Goulash looks wonderful.

1  Thank Elizabeth B
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Great pub good ale, ate here once and had the signature dish but was disappointed so when we visited this time we just had a few beers. it gets very busy and is not a big pub so expect it to get a bit hot and stuffy.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Glad we popped in for lunch.Very tasty meal - I had the small portion of veg goulash which I thought was quite big !It was delicious and my husband had the sausages which he said were very tasty.Nice selection of real ales on draught and situated in the centre of Keswick - can't wait to return